Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:00 AM

202 posts, read 240,032 times

Advertisements

So after 4 years of planning and almost moving to the Seattle area last year, we are finally doing it!!! We're leaving the east coast on June 20th and moving back to the west coast again and I'm SO excited to be moving to WA!!! My husband has to give notice at his job though because they don't allow telecommuting. So we'll be moving without a job unless he lands one beforehand. We have enough money to live on for a few months but I'd rather not dip into savings. That being said, if anyone knows of anything firsthand, if their company has an opening, etc., I'd really appreciate the bone being thrown our way. He's a senior software tester with some programming skills. 15+ years experience. I do have his resume into a ton of places and I send it out daily, but it always helps to know someone. He's willing to move there ahead of us if he needs to. Anyway, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
No one on an anonymous board is going to hand anyone a job. If it were that easy, forums like this would be flooded with such requests. It's easy enough to do a job search on the internet, these days. Good luck, he'll probably land on his feet. I hope you have a good savings to see you through the first months of the job search.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:32 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
To hold down the drain on your savings, look at the Tacoma area for cheaper rent (1/3 to 1/2 less than in Seattle). Commuting from there to downtown Seattle on Sounder commuter rail is a possibility.

If your husband comes out first, he might consider looking for a roommate situation on Craigslist.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
So after 4 years of planning and almost moving to the Seattle area last year, we are finally doing it!!! We're leaving the east coast on June 20th and moving back to the west coast again and I'm SO excited to be moving to WA!!! My husband has to give notice at his job though because they don't allow telecommuting. So we'll be moving without a job unless he lands one beforehand. We have enough money to live on for a few months but I'd rather not dip into savings. That being said, if anyone knows of anything firsthand, if their company has an opening, etc., I'd really appreciate the bone being thrown our way. He's a senior software tester with some programming skills. 15+ years experience. I do have his resume into a ton of places and I send it out daily, but it always helps to know someone. He's willing to move there ahead of us if he needs to. Anyway, thank you!
Automation is huge here, so if your husband has automation skills, then he will find a job no problem.

What languages is he programming in? That's important information to know ...

Old 03-30-2016, 01:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one on an anonymous board is going to hand anyone a job. If it were that easy, forums like this would be flooded with such requests. It's easy enough to do a job search on the internet, these days. Good luck, he'll probably land on his feet. I hope you have a good savings to see you through the first months of the job search.
She'd better (last sentence).

Op/Ed, as an occasional hiring authority in tech:

"Sending resumes", daily(??), encourages roaches, i.e. predatory foreign-based IT "staffing firms", to continue their degenerate business practices. That encourages wage-deflation and lack of leverage among tech workers to receive fair pay for work performed. Working for them, or even with them, should be discouraged nor would I ever want that on my resume. That's ghetto business, those workers are truly dis-empowered in terms of managing their own destiny.

In tech, more than any other business I've heard of, you'd better be strategic vs. tactical and make bold moves periodically, based on solid research of megatrends, vs. just going with the flow. Testing is mostly outsourced these days, though not entirely, example of one megatrend going on since c. early 2000s.

OTOH, depending specifically on a candidate's skill set, experience, and ability to present professionally, Seattle metro can be a buyer's market for IT. If, that is, one knows where to look and who to respond to. Tons of information out there about that: call it, "the approach."

I think I'll start a sidebar consulting service for this, what my friends call "finding needles in haystacks," aka non-ghetto tech and engineering jobs in this particular market. Guess it's because I'm classically trained in science and putting together puzzles from disparate clues that seem to stump others.

Best wishes to OP, takes a lot of guts to move into a super-competitive (jobs, real estate) & expensive marketplace without solid work plans. Never heard of an IT shop that "doesn't allow telecommuting," I'd guess on any given day 10-30% of our staff are offsite working remote (not counting offshore teams or at a client site for a specific project task). That's what Skype, WebEx, and other VOIP-based tech is for.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wasn't exactly asking anyone to "hand" him a job. And believe me, I've done extensive searches on the internet. There are actually nice people on here who have reached out to me before so I thought I'd just ask if anyone knew of anything.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Automation is huge here, so if your husband has automation skills, then he will find a job no problem.

What languages is he programming in? That's important information to know ...
I'm not sure of all of them, but C# is one.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
She'd better (last sentence).

Op/Ed, as an occasional hiring authority in tech:

"Sending resumes", daily(??), encourages roaches, i.e. predatory foreign-based IT "staffing firms", to continue their degenerate business practices. That encourages wage-deflation and lack of leverage among tech workers to receive fair pay for work performed. Working for them, or even with them, should be discouraged nor would I ever want that on my resume. That's ghetto business, those workers are truly dis-empowered in terms of managing their own destiny.

In tech, more than any other business I've heard of, you'd better be strategic vs. tactical and make bold moves periodically, based on solid research of megatrends, vs. just going with the flow. Testing is mostly outsourced these days, though not entirely, example of one megatrend going on since c. early 2000s.

OTOH, depending specifically on a candidate's skill set, experience, and ability to present professionally, Seattle metro can be a buyer's market for IT. If, that is, one knows where to look and who to respond to. Tons of information out there about that: call it, "the approach."

I think I'll start a sidebar consulting service for this, what my friends call "finding needles in haystacks," aka non-ghetto tech and engineering jobs in this particular market. Guess it's because I'm classically trained in science and putting together puzzles from disparate clues that seem to stump others.

Best wishes to OP, takes a lot of guts to move into a super-competitive (jobs, real estate) & expensive marketplace without solid work plans. Never heard of an IT shop that "doesn't allow telecommuting," I'd guess on any given day 10-30% of our staff are offsite working remote (not counting offshore teams or at a client site for a specific project task). That's what Skype, WebEx, and other VOIP-based tech is for.
Thank you. Some things to consider for sure. They do allow telecommuting, but only two days/week, which wouldn't work since the office is on the other side of the country.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:53 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
I'm not sure of all of them, but C# is one.
Confused ... if you have his resume, aren't his programming skills included? Be aware there are probably 10's of thousands of C# programmers out here ...

Old 03-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Confused ... if you have his resume, aren't his programming skills included? Be aware there are probably 10's of thousands of C# programmers out here ...
Yes but I don't know what's considered a programming skill or language or whatever, lol. I just know that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area