Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 02:56 PM

982 posts, read 3,298,932 times

Advertisements

As I was perusing Redfin this morning, I found a great place in Redmond. I checked to see which schools served this home, and I was surprised to see that Redmond High's Great School's score is now a 6. The last time I saw it, it was either an 8 or a 9.

I don't have any children at that age yet, but I was concerned to see this. What's going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,190,829 times
Redmond HS is fed by the schools serving the downtown area, and there have been about 800 new apartments in the last few years. While they are upscale, and rent for as much as $3,000, that many new residents from all over the place means a lot of kids adapting to new teaching methods, testing and having to make new friends. I would not consider it to be a sign of a school going downhill, just growing pains, with close to 2,000 students and many more now from other cities/states.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:00 PM

450 posts, read 544,891 times
maybe some posters with high schoolers can chime in to explain? It seems this round of greatschools scores for many formerly highly rated high schools in Sammamish, Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland all had very sudden drops from 8-9-10 last year to 4-5-6 this year. Is there an error somewhere, or some new methodology regarding high school test scores that really screwed up the rating system for high schools?

Obviously the demographics of all these affluent Eastside suburbs have not changed much in one year.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 PM

982 posts, read 3,298,932 times
Skyline is a 4 while Eastlake is a 10??

Woodinville High went from a 7 to a 10.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 PM

764 posts, read 1,648,809 times
Let's see...The international students seem to be doing quite well...Redmond HS student gets perfect SAT score. 2400/2400: Marium Raza’s perfect score on the SAT | ShiaPAC

I have a student in Middle School, but many friends with kids at Redmond HS. I'm sure it's the new Washington State testing requirements - and the pains associated with the new testing requirements.

There were 15 NMSF last year (and 11 the previous year) at Redmond HS.

Forty LWSD students named National Merit Semifinalists - Lake Washington School District

I think GreatSchools.org has some serious issues with their data. Only 6% of the students in 11th grade are Proficient in Math? Redmond High School - Redmond, Washington - WA - School quality

But, they are getting their data from the school (also 6%).
Washington State Report Card

And Bellevue HS didn't do much better (5.6%). Very strange, indeed.
Washington State Report Card

Look at the data on the state websites for previous years to get the testing information to a better assessment of the schools performance.

Also, keep in mind that LWSD is VERY crowded - they've been adding 500 students every year for the past 5 years and most schools are seriously overcrowded. They're trying to get more funding for schools, but no luck for the past 8 years. BUT...still the people move here with their kids.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:31 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,437,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
As I was perusing Redfin this morning, I found a great place in Redmond. I checked to see which schools served this home, and I was surprised to see that Redmond High's Great School's score is now a 6. The last time I saw it, it was either an 8 or a 9.

I don't have any children at that age yet, but I was concerned to see this. What's going on there?
I dont really understand why people put stock into these ratings. These ratings are always flawed. Test Scores are not a good measure of the school, but a measure of the overall area. Wealthier areas nearly always have strong test scores compared to middle or working class areas. No matter how great a teacher is, at risk students will do worse then those in whom live in stable families in higher income areas. With this said, Redmond has great schools. At the end of the day for HS especially, it does not matter what school your child goes to as long as they have support at home, and open opportunities to explore.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:44 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,596,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post

OP , I feel your pain, it is super hard to tell how good a school is. Those with students in them tend to have very polarized viewpoints and services like Great schools appear to stick to rigid metrics that can mislead in either direction.

I think it is safe to say Great Schools has screwed up. They dropped a bunch of schools way down and bumped some up. So unless they were wrong before they must be wrong now. The schools could not have changed so drastically in such a short time frame. Even the International school in Kirkland which is ranked in the top few Washington state high schools, only managed a 9...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area