Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times

Advertisements

I've lived here my whole life and could count on one hand the amount of residential swimming pools I've seen in the greater Puget Sound area. I'm sure they're here, but just like Bigfoot-elusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
You will be much better off in Georgia.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
We lived in Roswell for 3 years. EVERY development over 25 homes seems to have a Swim-Tennis club. And the most of the houses that don't, have their own pools. I also think you will be better off in Georgia in terms of job security/COL. There are wonderful places to visit from Atlanta - the NC mountains, the beaches in Destin, D.C. is a long days drive, the Outer Banks, The Smokey Mountains (we enjoy camping, so traveling doesn't need to be expensive). I just think you'll be watching every penny here and I'm sure your tired of doing that.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
8 people only (maybe) $52,000 in Seattle? Not good. You'd spend 2/3 of that just renting an average 2 bedroom apartment, and you'll probably want a lot more than that for your large family.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/what...ing-in-seattle

Geekwire says 72k to "comfortably" live in Seattle. Now that's going to be different for everyone, but certainly won't cover a family of 8. This is how much money you need to make to live 'comfortably' in Seattle - GeekWire

You could probably make it further out, especially in Snohomish county, but no where anywhere near Seattle.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiitoKennesaw View Post
We didn't live on $52k in Hawaii. More like $75-80k and barely making ends meet. We just figured that with the lower COL in Seattle than Hawaii $52k was doable for a little bit since we'll have money in the bank ($50k) I do realize the rental prices are steep and I've been doing my due diligence in researching different areas and cost. I would hate to jump from the frying pan to the fire just because we got an okay job offer in Seattle.
You may be deceiving yourself to think Seattle has a lower COL.. At least Hawaii has local fruits and veggies growing around you can live off. Here you will pay a precious price for crappy, low grade imported fruit and veggies for 8 months of the year and the local stuff isn't cheap either. Also, the rents around Seattle are skyrocketing and will probably rival Honolulu soon if they don't already.

Have you ever considered in Florida? Many island people who just cannot escape that tropical island lifestyle seem to do better in Florida. Also, it would sound like your husband would have more than his share of work in the land of swimming pools, aka Florida. Literally, when I thought about living in Florida and was looking at rentals I was surprised about how even every hole in the wall house rental had its own swimming pool. EVen Georgia, I would think would not be a swimming pool haven. It's ironic but swimming pools seemed very reserved to states that are either warm desert climates or sub-tropical. Even Northern California has a lot less swimming pools than Southern California, for example. You can always drive up to Georgia if you want some mountain hiking. North Florida is another option.

I hear Tampa is a pretty nice city, lower crime rate and has a decent job market. Being that it is in the 70s even in winter there, I think you would have your share of swimming pool work year round.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I know of two super-rich folks in the area that have indoor pools, and one nearby development has 2-3 community pools, one with a dome open all year.
That's about it. Probably one of the worst places to be a pool maintenance person.

That salary is about what we pay entry level clerical people where I work, and those with a 2 BR apartment or house all have a working spouse and one or no kids. They still are struggling. One just lost his lease as the 2 BR home he rented is being sold, and had to go to 1 BR apartment in a far less desirable area for the same rent he was paying before.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiitoKennesaw View Post
. Either place is cheaper than Hawaii.
If you're coming to the Seattle area and expecting it to be cheaper than say, Honolulu, you're going to be in for a rude surprise. Things have changed in Seattle A LOT in the last 3-4 years, and $25 an hour will disappear in Seattle at least as fast as Honolulu, if not more so. The welfare tap isn't quite as wide open and hemorrhaging in WA as it is in CA or especially HI. Seattle is now a city with NO parking, people literally renting 100sqft apartments for $2k per month, worse traffic than Honolulu, and a COL that is going up faster than anywhere else in the country right now.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I've lived here my whole life and could count on one hand the amount of residential swimming pools I've seen in the greater Puget Sound area. I'm sure they're here, but just like Bigfoot-elusive.
I'm pushing twenty years here and the number I recall is...zero. That's Eastside, anyway. My hot tub, however, is the anti-pool and in fact is a thriving business model here. I'm in it daily from about November-April, that 100 degree water soothes what ails me.

Now my friends in Vacaville, outside Sacramento: THAT was a place to have a pool! Most useful thing in their home, or rather in the back yard. They practically lived in the thing from about June-October each year. Yeah, I too had a great tan when I lived in that general area some years in the 1990s.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 PM

52 posts, read 51,773 times
Definitely sounds like I would be going from the frying pan into the fire! Thanks everyone! You definitely confirmed what I already figured. Just wanted to be sure. We will be moving to Georgia. Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:37 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I know its a hard decision for you and you've been thinking about it and put a lot of thought into it. I lived in Atlanta and just moved back to Seattle. On paper Atlanta looks cheap and it is for such a large city but its not as cheap as it first looks, especially for good schools etc. Its also a place where you will need two cars and long commutes if you live in Kennesaw and both work (taking the bus or train to work isn't really an option there). And if your an outdoor family you'll find eventually you'll curtail your outdoor summer activities because of humidity and bugs. Finally, while much is cheaper, especially good groceries, wages are much lower, especially for the non professional set. Do your research, if your husband's $25 job would pay $13 in Ga you may be worse off.

A few things strike me about many of the posts here: Your husband already got an offer so how many pools are in the area would only matter if your thinking about long term job prospects. FYI-pool season in Atlanta tends to be seasonal, usually memorial day through labor day most places. But they are right there are many more pools there. Perhaps his skills also translate to other similar things in Seattle...landscaping etc.

The cost of housing - yes it is very high in Seattle and its true for many a $3k rental would be required for their standard of living. But coming from Hawaii you may very well be used to smaller, nothing fancy housing anyways. Even in Ga I've known large families getting by with 2 or 3 bedrooms, it really depends on your attitudes and expectations.

Finally, seems most posts are over looking the fact that you plan on working also. the picture changes a little bit if you can also pull in 50-60k and your HH income is 100-120k total. One other thing if your kids will need daycare it is definitely more in Seattle but of course that varies and is not forever.

After reading your posts over the past few months I am really on the fence on your best move, I've seen many in Atlanta metro who aren't the professional office skill set really struggle to survive and get ahead and even find jobs at times. If say you pulled $50-60k both working there and needed two cars and some daycare it would be just as much a struggle IMO. What has been your household income in HI (perhaps not fair since you owned your own business).

Don't kid yourself about needing $100k and no kids to live in Seattle, its a nice luxury but the area medium income is still in the 50ks, not 100k. We live in Seattle proper well under $100k with 2 kids and save for retirement etc. You know how to handle money, it can be done. I do think if making life easy is more important than other quality of life factors like weather etc you would pick Ga if you knew you could make the same money, but that is the big question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area