Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 PM

52 posts, read 51,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Got to the second page and saw you are reconsidering Seattle, maybe heading to Georgia. I was going to comment what a few others have on this part:

QUOTE] Georgia is cheap, Washington is not. Either place is cheaper than Hawaii.
Yeah... not really. We also moved from Hawai'i to Seattle area a few years ago, and were thinking the COL would be a fair amount less. Really, not so much. Some things are cheaper, some much more expensive. It really depends. The electricity is way cheaper, the water way more expensive, for example. Restaurants are similar in price and way more because of tax. Grocery store food can be somewhat cheaper. Rent is pretty similar, if not slightly more where we are.[/quote]

Finally! Someone who has moved from Hawaii to Seattle. You know the struggle and I think you get what I'm really asking. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 06:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Yeah utilities are, on average, cheaper in Seattle. Especially electricity as it's not coming to you via oil typically. HOWEVER, although it's cheaper per kw/hr, I find most of the year I use A LOT (and I mean LOT!) more electricity in Seattle due to the dark, dreary, and cold weather that occurs about 80% of the year. YMMV, but it can be tough to resist the temptation when it's pitch-black outside at 4pm on a rainy December night.

Rent is pretty stagnant (albeit high) in Honolulu, whereas Seattle is already at least as high, and rising faster than anywhere else in the country, at least as of 2015. It may be the Bay Area now, but in any case, it's going up QUICK in Seattle. I also found groceries to be about the same, but restaurants seem to now be about 20% more on average, even fast food. Probably has to do with companies hedging for the impending minimum wage hikes that escape reason.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:21 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Wow. 6 kids on 50k? Certainly you can live thrifty and find another job, but Georgia sounds like a much safer bet.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:51 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Well assuming it takes you a year to find a proper job, with the money you have saved up and the Salary your husband with have (which we be around 48,000 before taxes) you could survive for the time being but you will need you find a decent job aswell to be able to properly support your family long term. 75K income per year for the family would be best to live in places like lynnwood or the far northern suburbs. I would suggest doing alot of research on homes in that area. Basically what ever you made in Hawaii in income will help you live decently in the outer seattle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area