Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,445 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a small town in Florida and while it will always have a place in my heart, the people there are way too close-minded for me to ever consider moving back. It's a shame because I miss the beautiful beaches and the laid-back lifestyle.

For me, Seattle gets my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:45 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
I moved to seattle from Los Angeles in July 2015. I'm very happy with my decision that I chose Seattle as my new home. During my last visit to LA I couldn't wait to go back to Seattle.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:22 PM

547 posts, read 506,597 times
No

Old 04-24-2016, 03:51 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Moved from Southern California and have lived here for 3 years now. Grew up in Claremont/Upland. I love Seattle and find it to be one of the greatest places to live in all things considered. I also love that I never have to drive to get to where I need to go. The quality of life here (as long as you can afford it) is excellent.

What I do miss about California was the wealth of places to go drive to. I miss the following: Getty, Santa Monica, San Diego, Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, a wealth of excellent museums, drive-in movies, In-N-Out, too many huge shopping centers to count, and thousands of excellent and cheap Mexican and Asian restaurants.

Seattle is amazing and offers a good quality of life for those who can afford it. Southern California is huge and has endless places to see.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM

233 posts, read 250,473 times
I was raised, for the most part, in the Seattle area. I am over 50 years old.

Do I like it better now? No way.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I moved here after 40 years in the Bay Area, was born in San Francisco, lived in San Bruno, then Lafayette, moved out for college and lived in Union City, got married and moved to Oakland, then 14 years in Castro Valley. None of those cities/towns can compare to where I am now in Sammamish, nor to the Seattle metro area. I miss family and friends but we do go visit frequently. I also miss being just 3 hours from Lake Tahoe by car, but then it's still only 3 hours by air and rental car so we still go every year.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
I feel exactly as you do, I'm from a small area called the Redlands just south of Miami. I miss it sometimes, but that is only an idealized version of my childhood. I have been in Seattle 26 years. It is home, I know it deep in my bones. When I go back to Florida, it feels very strange. The people, the food, the politics, everything.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 961,676 times
I do like Seattle, but I prefer where I grew up, in Los Altos on the SF Peninsula. I miss being able to drive over the Santa Cruz Mountains to pale sandy beaches with crashing surf in Santa Cruz, Aptos, Capitola, and Half Moon Bay. We used to spend whole days body surfing in the waves.

I loved having all the cultural amenities of Stanford and Palo Alto nearby, and all the good stuff in San Francisco a little further. Taking the train into the City to see a play at ACT or visit the museums. I miss the Palace of the Legion of Honor and the de Young. The Presidio, Golden Gate Park, and the CA Academy of Sciences. I miss day trips to Carmel and Big Sur.

I loved being able to walk to the village of downtown Los Altos, to parks, and to the schools. I grew up with all the community celebrations like the Pet Parade, the Fall Festival, and the Halloween window painting contest.

But I could never afford to move back to Los Altos or Los Altos Hills now.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,540 times
I grew up in Mid Pennisula, Bay Area, Redwood city/Palo Alto/Woodside.
I liked the area, but was priced out when it came time to raise a family, and started to feel like the impoverished class as the area went upscale.

I moved to Seattle area in1985 with absolutely no regrets, and no urge to move back to the Bay Area. I love the nearby mountains and all related mountain sport activities. Housing was basic but affordable back then, and cruising around in an old toyota fit into the crowd.

Now..... You need to have your Lexus or Tesla and a shiny new McMansion.

It has become the Bay Area. Those moving from the Bay Area should feel right at home now.

Time to move on, and leave it to the people that aspire to shiny new, fancy things.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:28 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Hey Thom. I'm Vince, nice to meet you. I've lived here 26 years. My family and I live in a modest bungalow in the Greenwood area. I have a Subaru, I take it to hiking trails in the mountains a lot. I don't like shiny things. I still love it here, hope you take some good memories with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area