Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM

18 posts, read 14,691 times

Advertisements

I will be working right across the street from the Amazon building at SLU near the Whole Foods. I'm really looking at the NE Seattle areas right now although I said North...I wanted to consider an area on the East side of Seattle (love Kirkland) but don't have a clue how long that commute would look like. I won't need to be to work until 9:30 in the morning if that helps me at all. Thank you so much for this forum I am considering everything everyone has posted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 AM

18 posts, read 14,691 times
I'll be working on Westlake Ave!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:26 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Nick. If diversity and commuting options are important to you, have a look at Columbia City. Eckstein is a good school, I wouldn't call N Seattle diverse though.
It depends on what parts of the north end. The Northgate area and just east of there, on the other side of 15th Ave NE is one of Seattle's most diverse neighborhoods. It's great for kids.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:47 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkinthedesert View Post
I will be working right across the street from the Amazon building at SLU near the Whole Foods. I'm really looking at the NE Seattle areas right now although I said North...I wanted to consider an area on the East side of Seattle (love Kirkland) but don't have a clue how long that commute would look like. I won't need to be to work until 9:30 in the morning if that helps me at all. Thank you so much for this forum I am considering everything everyone has posted here.
If you are looking to commute on the light rail like you mentioned earlier, you're not going to do that from the East side or North. Have a look at a map of the current route.

It's worth noting that while the Link doesn't go to SLU itself, a brisk walker could get from the University St. station to the SLU Whole Foods in about 15.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:57 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
This makes no sense. Commuting all the way from Kirkland to Lake Union would be a lot of commuting. And I thought you said you wanted diversity? You're barking up the wrong tree.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:52 PM

456 posts, read 774,428 times
Quote:
I'd second NE Seattle being a family friendly area. You'd probably get to Westlake and Denny most swiftly via the 64 bus now that it has been reconfigured. It's within 20 -25 minutes depending on your distance from the route.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Nick. If diversity and commuting options are important to you, have a look at Columbia City. Eckstein is a good school, I wouldn't call N Seattle diverse though.
More diverse, the further north. Ingraham HS and Nathan Hale HS are more diverse (and more inclusive/less cliquey) than Roosevelt HS.

https://k12.niche.com/nathan-hale-hi...and-diversity/

https://k12.niche.com/ingraham-high-...and-diversity/

https://k12.niche.com/roosevelt-high...and-diversity/

Note that Greatschools' rankings are based entirely on test scores, which are heavily correlated with family income.

Eckstein MS feeds Roosevelt HS and Nathan Hale HS. Whitman MS feeds Ballard HS and Ingraham HS. Hamilton International School (Wallingford) feeds Roosevelt and Ballard. Note that Lincoln High School (Wallingford) will be reopening in 2019, which will likely cause Roosevelt's and Ballard's boundaries to shift north.

A diverse area with access to good scoring schools is Beacon Hill. For instance (Maple ES "9", Mercer MS "9", and Franklin HS "7"):

4002 14th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98108 | Zillow

https://k12.niche.com/franklin-high-...and-diversity/

Old 04-30-2016, 04:27 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have done the trip on the D at rush hour, less than 15 minutes between Safeway at 15th/Market to Mercer/Queen Anne.
But that's not a 15 minute commute as the OP desires ... that's how long the bus takes once you get to it, wait for it and get off it.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
New job in South Lake Union looking for ideas on best areas north of that area where I can have a quick commute by public transportation. 15 mins or less preferably by Light Rail. Looking for good schools for my upcoming 5th and 7th graders. Diversity is important to me along with a neighborhood with a suburban feel and where families also have kids. (Family Friendly). Any feedback on Eckstein Middle? Haven't yet found an elementary that would be good for my daughter for 5th grade. If we stay in the area I see Roosevelt High is ranked very high in the state. Open to ideas also for any cities East of SLU if the commute time could be under 30 minutes by public transportation. Thanks!
Don't worry about diversity. Even is someone wished to avoid it, in this day and age, they couldn't.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 PM

35 posts, read 30,280 times
Quote:
Fremont is a quick bus ride to SLU and is a great place for families (not to mention a lively business district).

Also, If ST3 passes this September Denny and Westlake will get a subway station...sometime in the 2030s.

If you really want light rail, though, the Westlake Center stop on Pine and 3rd is about a 12 minute walk from your job. However, you'd have to live South (Columbia City, Beacon Hill) or in Capitol Hill or near UW if you want to use it now, since the further North subway stations don't open until 2021. East Link to Bellevie and Redmond opens in 2023.

Columbia City and most of South Seattle and South King County are quite diverse, but the schools aren't great. North of the ship canal aside from Lake City and Aurora are generally not as diverse. One other area to look at is Phinney Ridge/Greenwood. Great neighborhoods for families (especially Phinney Ridge). Also check out Wallingford!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area