Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 PM

61 posts, read 86,076 times

Advertisements

Why is the rating for Lake Hills Elementary 4 as per greatschools even though its in the BSD. For comparison the neighboring Woodridge is 9. Is the school really comparatively bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Demographics of Lake Hills.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
GreatSchools rankings (they are not "ratings") here are entirely based on test scores, which are heavily correlated with family income and first language status.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 PM

5 posts, read 4,134 times
The changes in testing are also making the scores look strange at the moment. Two high schools I have been looking at have just dropped to a 2 because most of the students opted out of some exams, apparently!
It is not making relocation decisions easy, especially when they also won't do tours until you are actually living in district!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 AM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
This is the place to go for getting a better idea of the schools. Not sure how Woodridge ended up with a 9. Look at previous years data before they changed the test. Also, you picked a school with 63% FARM, 35% bilingual and 8% special education - I think they're doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

Washington State Report Card

Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 AM

450 posts, read 549,995 times
FWIW Lake Hills has traditionally ranked lower than other schools in Bellevue because of its demographics, even before the recent weird changes in testing made current scores jump all over the place.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:38 PM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
As others have said, Lake Hills has a different demographic than the neighboring communities. Many of the residents are first generation American immigrants with English as their second language. The properties are among the oldest and most modest in Bellevue, thus you'll see many more lower cost single family homes, modest apartment rentals, moderate income ranges, etc. There are also some very nice properties sandwiched in between, but this is not prevalent.

The staff and curriculum are not necessarily inferior to other schools, nor are the parents negligent. The teaching challenges are simply greater, thus the lower rating. When my children were in school, we knew many parents who had purchased homes in Lake Hills some years before the demographic changes. Once their kids were of school age, they open-enrolled them to neighboring elementary schools such as Bennett which has always been excellent.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:12 PM

61 posts, read 86,076 times
LaylaM, this is the first time we are dealing with Bellevue schools. What is open-enrolled? Can we still do that?

Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 AM

689 posts, read 973,333 times
Certain schools in the BSD permit a student to attend even when they live outside of the geographic boundaries. This is not across the board and only certain schools are 'open'. You will need to go onto the district website to determine which schools have open space and what the deadline for applying is. I believe it is in early spring, so you are probably past the date. But I remember being able to open enroll one of my daughters beyond the deadline one year. We chose an out of zone middle school for her and the procedure was to first pick up a form from the district office, then both the home school and the out of zone school needed to sign off.

My daughters are grown and this was many years ago so not sure if all of my information is current, but the open enrollment standard for the district still exists. If you choose a home in Lake Hills, it would be wise to investigate other elementary school options.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwick3 View Post
The changes in testing are also making the scores look strange at the moment. Two high schools I have been looking at have just dropped to a 2 because most of the students opted out of some exams, apparently!
It is not making relocation decisions easy, especially when they also won't do tours until you are actually living in district!
Yeah, when a parent/student opts out, they are counted as scoring zero. The Seattle area is one of the national centers for the opt-out movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area