Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
It is pretty wet and getting crowded. It is not fishy smelling.
It smelled like fish when I visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Crowded is another way of saying vibrant.
NO, crowded is just that crowded, the word vibrant has a completely different definition.
If I had meant vibrant I would have stated vibrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,843,744 times
Your crowded is another person's vibrant.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

NO, crowded is just that crowded, the word vibrant has a completely different definition.
If I had meant vibrant I would have stated vibrant.
It smells fishy on the piers. By my calculations, that is about .00001% of the city. Oh, yeah, fish markets, too. LOL.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It's a waterfront - when the tide goes out, it's not going to smell like your laundry room.

Nothing to do with fish, but rather rotting seaweed, with our unseasonably hot weather this spring the cause. It both stimulates seaweed growth and the rate at which it rots (emitting hydrogen sulfide). Perfectly natural - unless you think our recent hot weather is caused by global warming, that is. Cooler weather in the forecast should remedy the situation.

Normally, it is just one note in a symphony of "seafront" smells, which altogether can be quite enjoyable, as far as I'm concerned, but then I grew up at the ocean - to me it is eastern Washington that "smells".

They are also in the process of replacing the seawall, which is exposing who knows what order of "muck".

Old 05-18-2016, 02:09 AM

429 posts, read 479,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Been here 3 years, and we're trying to get out. Between the Traffic, cost of living and lousy weather, we're done.

Seattle is a big city with lots of white people (for now). I see the attraction to it for some, but it's not worth it too me. I'm not racist, so I would rather live with blacks or Latinos and live like a king. I could live in a 4000 sq-ft home in a gated community for what we pay for an older home half that size in a decent neighborhood here. People say the outdoors are incredible up her, but the weather is so lousy, you can only enjoy it for a few months out of the year. Yea, it's on the water, but the water is cold with no beaches or decent fishing.

I'm trying to transfer my job back to San Antonio. I miss the light traffic, nice weather, and friendly people. I miss driving to a time share a couple hours away on the beach for the weekend. This place is just depressing to me, and it's crawling with butthead hipsters that can't mind their own business. It's like Austin on steroids.
South Seattle, South King County and portions of Pierce County are majority minority. Neighborhoods like Columbia City and the Rainier Valley are among the most diverse in the country in terms of race/ethnicity/languages spoken. So if you want to live in a more diverse area there are plenty of attractive options in Seattle and in other parts of the metro area. Ballard is a great neighborhood but probably the least diverse area in the whole city.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM

231 posts, read 587,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Seattle, Seattle, Seattle. Everyone is moving here. Even of they work outside the city, they want to live in the city and commute outwards (what I call a "reverse commute"). There is no sign of this trend slowing down. Seattle is the ultimate urban playground for 20- and 30-somethings. But there is such a limited amount of habitable space, parks and so forth. The playground is getting crowded.
God I wish that was true! Lol! Seattle has 70k new people move there annually--Florida has 1000 new residents DAILY so every 70 days more people move to Florida then Seattle in an entire year. Now I know I'm comparing an entire state to just Seattle but not everyone wants to live in Seattle apparently! Lol

Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,287,553 times
It is mandatory for anyone on the east coast who hits the age of 65 to move to Florida, always has been. There are stiff penalties if you don't comply.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM

319 posts, read 346,178 times
Not everyone wants to live here. I know quite a few people who are cashing out and leaving for less crowded destinations.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:47 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasallyttle View Post
Not everyone wants to live here. I know quite a few people who are cashing out and leaving for less crowded destinations.
At some point I will want to cash out and leave for a less expensive destination!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

3) Sure, you can drive to Gulf in pretty good time, but it's still the Gulf: brown water and ugly beaches.
As a former Floridian, I can tell you that you are mistaken about the Gulf. The Gulf is only that way in Texas. A lot of West Coasters go to Texas and visit the beach and make the assumption that it's ugly "because it's the Gulf."

On the Florida Panhandle, the Gulf beaches have sugar-white sand made of pure quartz that washed down the rivers from the Appalachian mountains . . . and crystal clear blue-green water.

Actually all the Gulf beaches in Alabama and those that run down the length of Florida are beautiful, with the Panhandle beaches being the best of the best. The beaches there have been on "Most Beautiful Beach" lists repeatedly and it's known as "The Emerald Coast" for the color of the water.

Go to Destin, FL next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area