Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 04:32 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Scan/Design in Lynnwood is worth a look: Lynnwood Store - Scan Design Furniture
Second that.

There have been a couple of raging debates on this over the years on Seattle C-D. Totally depends on your budget and style, the question is otherwise pointless. Furnishing a 4K square ft home in Medina is one thing, to the tune of $100K to several million$, vs. a single mom condo in all hand-me-downs.

Splitting the difference, I decorated a home in Kirkland in what is reasonably-objectively "nice, modern, tasteful, at moderate expense." I can't describe it better than that. Call it "single professional guy tre chic."

I did one room at a time and took about three years, that's just how I roll. Also including paint work and other details, see "Seven Layers of Design" theory. This spread both cost and effort too, since I did it all myself including the designs and layouts. Sources:

IKEA for anything not load-bearing or front-and-center or heavy use. Looking around, I have at least a half dozen IKEA shelving and decorative objects, plus who knows how many smaller items. Key driver is economy and selection at the Renton store.

Macy's Home for master bedroom, after long deliberation. I mulled this for years, casually. They have economy to high-quality in the range, I went to the middle. Sleigh bed, dresser, end table holding up well and will out-live me by a few decades.

Dania for a few more-interesting centerpieces, like my bamboo end tables, dark chocolate brown leather couch and love seat, and several interesting paintings. Oh, my home office as-well. Decent stuff, if not highest-quality. Scan Design, see above, for a few similar and rather exotic objects de art. I'd love to do one-stop shopping there to re-do a whole house. If $1K for an end table doesn't faze, I'd start and end right in their showroom.

Value Village for the vast bulk of knick-knacks and other interesting objects. Pennies on the dollar and some spectacular finds there across the decades.

Michael's for all my faux floral arrangements and plants, so the house doesn't look like it was decorated by Darth Vadar.

Bed, Bath, and Beyond for basically turn-key bathroom sets: rugs, tub curtain, shelving all match well to whatever motif I'm pushing. Way-expensive but certainly looks the part: well-coordinated.

There is an interesting upscale consignments store in Bellevue that has served me well for a few pieces, I enjoyed poking around there a few years. I don't remember the name, they're easy to find. For those few pieces that are are quite nice, at a heckuva lot less than new, well-coordinated.

To that end, Craig's List for a few notable items best bought used, including a set of nice Persian rugs and glass display cabinet. A clever person could decorate an entire house that way, btw, with sufficient patience and diligence. People let furniture go on the cheap, I'm guessing I'll do same one of these years if I have the courage to downsize when I retire.

Guessing I have $50K tied up in the above, including art and the rugs. Listed all that for insurance purposes, some years ago, otherwise I wouldn't have really noticed. It tends to add up.

My $.02. Everyone is a bit different in their tastes, and everything I've listed is holding up pretty well for me and a few small pets. If I had brats or dogs running around, may be singing a different tune. Oh: I had a bunch of items from Sears Home Center back when they did furniture, transfered from my former townhome to house. I put the bulk of that downstairs in my man cave and will point out it's holding up great, too, 17 years later. Including a glass dining room table that somehow doesn't look too dated either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 03:11 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Modern or mid century modern?

[url]https://bigwhaleconsignment.com/collections/shop-new/New[/url]

Old 04-19-2022, 12:52 AM

53 posts, read 44,224 times
Room and Board has an outpost in University Village. While a lot of their offerings are pretty pricey, they predominately sell US-made products, and have many modern designs. They're a bit more craftsman-focused and less designer-focused than Design Within Reach, if that makes sense.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:34 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Second that.

Macy's Home for master bedroom, after long deliberation. I mulled this for years, casually. They have economy to high-quality in the range, I went to the middle. Sleigh bed, dresser, end table holding up well and will out-live me by a few decades.

Dania for a few more-interesting centerpieces, like my bamboo end tables, dark chocolate brown leather couch and love seat, and several interesting paintings. Oh, my home office as-well. Decent stuff, if not highest-quality. Scan Design, see above, for a few similar and rather exotic objects de art. I'd love to do one-stop shopping there to re-do a whole house. If $1K for an end table doesn't faze, I'd start and end right in their showroom.
Macy's is good for all kinds of things. They have good quality, and you can often get things at significant markdowns. No need to pay full retail; they have a regular schedule of sale pricing: weekly, monthly for larger markdowns, then clearances twice/year, but also, in some departments, they have clearance tables they're always stocking.

I haven't found Dania furniture to be good quality, except for breakfast/dining tables. Their things look nice in the show room, but don't last. My impression is, that Dania is a slightly better version of IKEA.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-19-2022 at 04:00 AM..

Old 04-21-2022, 07:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
When I moved here almost a year ago I bought furniture at Macy's northgate mall.
After a lot of time looking we always seem to end up buying at the Macy's furniture store on NE24th in Redmond. It's not a regular department store, but just furniture. We recently bought a sofa and two recliners there, all on sale, and with 18 months credit no interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area