Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:50 AM

18 posts, read 14,629 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family (fiancé and two kids and mom) to Seattle in July. On a recent trip I happened upon West Seattle and loved it. I am a forty something mother of an upcoming 5th and 7th grader and would like some diversity/African American representation in the schools and just overall everyday life and activities. My daughter is a singer/dancer and performs with local performance groups in Phoenix where we live now. She's also a Girl Scout so those will be the types of activities we will be involved in locally. My son enjoys art and is an excellent soccer player. Any suggestions of organizations in West Seattle would be appreciated. (GS troops, musical theater/performance schools/soccer leagues)
I'll be workings in South Lake Union and public transportation will be my preferred form of transportation to work. Any suggestions on schools in the area...closer to North Admiral Way or Junction. Needing to find a place to live in those areas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
Some indication of your budget (and for what) would help narrow down the options. West Seattle is a large neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,586 times
Also interested in relocating to Seattle! I am an RN and will be interviewing at Swedish Medical main campus. Just me and my small dog, would love to live close to hospital so I could walk, bike or use PT rather than drive. In Raleigh, NC now.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,038,484 times
Hi, Nikki, I live in W Seattle. It has quite a few neighborhoods in it. Are you looking to rent or to buy? It can be pricey here though there still are some bargains. Think of Burien, too, which is just a few miles SouthEast of W Seattle peninsula.

FoxyRoxy2-as you can see, budget is key. So depends on what you can spend.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM

681 posts, read 1,042,053 times
I'm super jelly, I've been wanting to move to Seattle for years, just on a single income it's hard to make it... though I'm still working on it! I've made several visits up there and also loved it, I've done a lot of the touristy stuff, space needle, pikes place, downtown, ect. Yet so much more I need to explore!
like other's are saying though, cost of living is pretty steep up there, a studio apartment can run over 1k easy, most houses on average are 400k and higher.

Other than that, the emerald city is amazing!

Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Hi guys thanks for the responses...I like the north admiral way neighborhood as far down as the Junction area...need to have schools rated highly for my 5th and 7th grader...I see Madison Middle, Schmitz Park Elem and Lafayette as good options. My budget is up to $3K for a 3 Br...open to any suggestions. Also for my friend who responded from W Seattle.. are there any well known musical theater schools in the area??

Old 06-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Looking to rent for a year to get to know area..

Old 06-13-2016, 04:05 PM

Also I will rent for a year to get to know the area.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:44 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,325,306 times
There are a few 3bds in your range out by Schmitz Park. Nothing in North Admiral or near the Junction. Lafayette is in North Delridge, where several places are available. Further south the schools get sketchier.

You might want to look in the Lake City area of NE Seattle, which has 3bds in your range. John Rogers ("7") is the ES, Eckstein ("9") the MS, and Nathan Hale ("8") the HS. For instance:

11526 30th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125 | Zillow

Old 06-13-2016, 05:00 PM

Crazy Donkey thank you... I'm actually looking in the Schmitz Park area...decided to stick with West Seattle and give it a go. Looks like the place I'm interested in is on California Ave...near that 7-11...I hear they are building that area up quite a bit??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: