Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The comments about assumptions of native language amaze me. I have never had anybody tell me anything like that--ANYWHERE--even though I am full-blood Asian born in the US and, on the phone, nobody would have a clue as to racial background.

Maybe there is some small thing about dress that makes people assume the person just immigrated? Very strange.
I see now, reviewing your and his posts, that the OP isn't in Seattle, he's in Puyallup. I suppose that explains some of it. Still, it's too bad the OP has encountered that, and has to put up with it. Maybe when he's done with that contract, he can score a gig in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:39 AM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Otherwise, I have spoke to some people at my K-church young adult group and they recommend me living in Lynnwood/Shoreline area, Renton, Issaquah or Bellevue (although it's a pricey neighborhood full of Cali transplants).
the people at your church are right! There is a significant Korean population along with big Hawaiian (from Hawaii of all different ethnic mixes) population in western Washington. They're just not in Puyallup. Hint: look up all the H mart locations and Hawaiian restaurants and notice where they are located...

Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM

361 posts, read 397,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Puyallup is not Seattle. When I was growing up that was the country, not a suburb of Seattle.
^^ Interesting you say this, because a lot of people I talk to consider Puyallup as part of "Metro Seattle." They tell me that since the folks here have access to local Seattle news channels on TV, that this is still "Seattle Area."

Quote:
Seattle small towns and suburbs didn't develop the same as other areas of the US. Often people lived in the country because they preferred being away from other people and city folk, so attitudes developed differently. Seattle was part of the wild west, not a place full of traditions. You stayed out of other people's business here.
That's strange phenomenon you bring up. I say that because in my experience, for the most part, I had better conversations or encounter with the older folks living here. I had more of the elderly people tell me good morning (these are strangers at the supermarket, etc) or nod or smile at me, compared to the younger generation people living here. Not all though. There are some guys in their mid 50s or 60s who simply ignore me while I'm jogging in the neighborhood, but oh well, it is what it is.

Quote:
I have nothing against Puyallup, but it's interesting the number of people who move here and just figure they can radiate out in any direction and still think it will be just like Seattle. Chicagoland is more like that, but we aren't. There is a reason people pay huge money to get into the neighborhood that suits them and their lifestyles. Trouble is it's so expensive that people are being forced to move to areas that they never would have chosen to live in before and they aren't feeling super welcomed.
LOL....sounds like me who moved here thinking it's same as downtown Seattle. Heck, I didn't realize how far away Puyallup is from Bellevue/Kirkland and Seattle area. This is why I'm discouraged from going to a lot of the meetup events I see online. It's because a lot of them are held in or near downtown Seattle (i.e. UW's campus) and I hate fighting traffic driving either on the I-5 or the horrific 405 near Bellevue.

Quote:
This is all just part of our ongoing growing pains, but it's a good idea for others moving here to really consider. This isn't Dallas with cooler weather and different politics.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
the people at your church are right! There is a significant Korean population along with big Hawaiian (from Hawaii of all different ethnic mixes) population in western Washington. They're just not in Puyallup. Hint: look up all the H mart locations and Hawaiian restaurants and notice where they are located...

Great, thanks for the heads up.

I currently live here because of my job where I work here in Puyallup, as well as for a corporation in Tacoma area. I am contracted to work here for two years. After that, I'm free to stay or go elsewhere. I don't know yet. I actually would like to stay with my company for couple of years.

Yes, I know Lynnwood area has a large Asian community. However, it looks too quiet of a neighborhood, and some people tell me certain areas are "ghetto."??

I actually would not mind staying around Tacoma area. There are plenty of Korean churches (which I have been attending recently) in south Tacoma area in Parkland, Lakewood and Spanaway. Folks tell me that the lakefront area of Lakewood and University Place are nice areas. It's not Medina or Bellevue, but pretty decent areas....but I have yet to pay a visit to University Place neighborhood.

Bellevue too expensive, and kirkland (read my other thread on my pedestrian experience) seems like full of a-holes.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I see now, reviewing your and his posts, that the OP isn't in Seattle, he's in Puyallup. I suppose that explains some of it. Still, it's too bad the OP has encountered that, and has to put up with it. Maybe when he's done with that contract, he can score a gig in Seattle.
Yeah, I'm thinking of that. But I'm actually looking at living in Lakewood (the nicer areas) or University Place. I was also considering Federal Way, but that city seems like a hodgepodge/mix of really bad areas and some parts of Federal Way also have gang presence (but crime is possible everywhere you go).

Old 07-13-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

This isn't the Seattle I knew. So, what are you going to do when your contract is up? Renew? Move? Try the Bay Area?
I actually want to work for my company for couple of years to fortify my skills and work.

I "was" eye-balling places to live in the near future, such a Redmond, Bellevue, or *cough* kirkland. But after having bad experiences driving around, or jogging in those places (esp kirkland, read my other thread regarding kirkland) I don't want to live there.

I'm looking at university place near Tacoma or even Renton.

No way will I move to Bay Area! California too expensive, you get taxed up the yin yang by their corrupt state and local government, and Cali is turning into a cesspool. I have already lived in places like L.A., and I NEVER want to go back to living in that dump city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area