U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 7,447 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am planning to buy a house or townhouse in the next 6 months and the followings are my criteria/constraints:

1. Safe area
2. Quite neighborhood
3. 40 minutes commute to downtown Seattle - can be driving or public transportation
4. My budget is $600K

Areas I am considering:

1. Ballard / Old Ballard / Fremont
2. Bellevue
3. North Seattle

I am single and don't plan to have a family anytime soon, so size and school district don't matter. However, I am very sensitive to noise from people - talking, party, TV, etc, and I prefer to live in a very quite and safe area. Please let me know if you have any suggestion.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:46 PM

4,825 posts, read 2,936,705 times
Safe from speeding cars or from crime?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Safe from speeding cars or from crime?
Ideally both but primary safe from crime.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM

408 posts, read 213,813 times
The city seems to be moving the bums to Ballard, so I'd avoid that. Plus, the new construction is wiping out parking, so you'l have a hard time parking, and transit is horrible. There might be some quiet, safe places in North Seattle, but that E line is filled with felons and homeless, although the higher price at rush hour means that if you take the bus during rush hour, when the cost is higher, you are saved from having to deal with low-life. Just don't work late! I live in north Seattle, and drive my car in, and pay for parking. It saves about an hour and a half, so you can do the math about whether it's worth it to park, which is about $15/day.
It will take some research to find quiet, safe places in North Seattle, but I'm sure there are some.

I haven't been in Bellevue for a while, but it's very family oriented, and I found it difficult to meet other single people there. Friday nights going into Seattle is the most congested time of the week. But the Eastside does not have all the crazy homeless bums that Ballard and Aurora Avenue are crawling with.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,884 posts, read 56,281,260 times
Downtown Bellevue actually has many younger people, but is safe and quiet. The difficulty will be finding a townhouse in your price range. A bit farther from downtown the prices are more reasonable, and it's even more quiet. The 550 bus goes from downtown Bellevue to downtown Seattle in about 1/2 hour, and light rail (even faster) is coming in about 2023.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,151,980 times
Quiet and safe describes much of Bellevue, to the point where it has a bit of a reputation for being 'sterile', and people accuse the city council of rolling up the sidewalks at 8:30 (only mostly joking). Certain parts of it have livened up a bit, but the rest of it is pretty quiet family neighborhoods. Were I in your shoes, I'd see if I could find something south of Main and north of I-90 - this would give you great proximity to restaurants and shopping, but is an older, quiet neighborhood. It would also keep you close to the 550 and be a decent commute to DT Seattle. I'd probably skip Ballard and Northgate - there might be parts that meet your criteria, but not as well as Bellevue likely would.

Example:
1121 Bellefield Park Ln, Bellevue, WA 98004 | MLS #956120 | Zillow

Old 06-28-2016, 10:21 AM

6,871 posts, read 5,333,604 times
West Ballard/Sunset Hill - safe and very quiet as long as away from the railroad bridge. Walking distance to downtown Ballard. Catch the 17x, 18x, or 40 to Downtown. The 44, running every 8 minutes, links you to Wallingford, the U District, and UW. Good selection of grocery stores within easy reach: QFC, Safeway, Ballard Market, Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer, Cash-n-Carry, Grocery Outlet, and PCC. Close to the Locks, Golden Gardens, and Discovery Park. For instance:

7745 Jones Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98117 | MLS #938916 | Zillow

7526 25th Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98117 | MLS #964004 | Zillow

Old 06-28-2016, 10:33 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,154,045 times
You guys think Lake City is a good option for OP? Looking from the outside, it seems to be pretty isolated from the madness and congestion of Northgate, and it seems traffic doesn't get that bad until further north beyond the City limits towards Bothell.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:51 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,380,544 times
I'd also look at Mercer Island. Very quiet, VERY easy commute to the city, nice walkable "downtown" area, fun farmers market, and quickly overcoming its reputation for stodginess. Luther Burbank Park is a regional treasure.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,884 posts, read 56,281,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
You guys think Lake City is a good option for OP? Looking from the outside, it seems to be pretty isolated from the madness and congestion of Northgate, and it seems traffic doesn't get that bad until further north beyond the City limits towards Bothell.
Lake City is not quiet, nor "Safe" in the same sense as Bellevue (though not dangerous). A friend lived a block of off Lake City Way and had police sirens almost every night with drug arrests and domestic disputes. She moved within a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area