Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:36 PM

55 posts, read 47,853 times

Advertisements

Today was a trifecta. Currently, I have a very walkable commute which is about 1 mile in length (Don't hate me). From Roosevelt area, I can walk to my job in the U District. It's great EXCEPT for the arrogance and unsafe actions of certain drivers and cyclists. After today's events, I began to doubt my own expectations and looked up to confirm that Washington State does have a law concerning pedestrian right-of-way (RCW 46.61.235).

On the walk home - within ONLY a 1-mile span - 3 drivers almost hit me:

1) The "walk" signal activated, as I was at the half-way point of a 4 lane intersection, a driver making a left-turn into the intersection, cut me off to a stop and "waved" thanks as she sped up to beat the amber light at the next intersection.

2) Decided to take a more residential route, a few blocks parallel to first incident. Within a few blocks, another woman ran the stop sign where I was crossing. As she made a U-turn, I yelled at her: "Really?" She seemed oblivious to her actions.

3) As I cross the 2-lane road, one block near where I live, a woman pulls out from the side street, makes a left onto the 2-lane road and cuts me off. She came so close, I could feel the breeze of the passing car. What made this occurrence so distressing is that this (young) woman was laughing as she did this.

Yesterday, I had two cyclists (separate events), race up behind me --- on a narrow, residential sidewalk --- without any warning. The first cyclist who did this looked annoyed, like I was the one in his way.

When I drive my truck, I always observe that the pedestrian has the right of way. I couldn't imagine cutting off anyone like these 3 drivers did to me today in each intersection. I'm stymied as what in my behavior would evoke such arrogance from drivers. I'm an alert and courteous pedestrian. I wave thanks to drivers and cyclists who gesture and allow me to proceed in an intersection. As I cross the intersection, I pick up my step and walk very swiftly. I honor and respect that most drivers/cyclists also want to safely get to their destination too. (Unlike the 3 rude drivers I encountered today.)

Even "walkable" neighborhoods feel increasingly risky every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
The road diet has intensified traffic problems in certain "more walk-able" areas. Ironically the rushed nature of drivers all forced to use much less road space doesn't always make it safer for pedestrians. I've definitely noticed an increase in fast, aggressive driving in some areas that were previously more people driving 10 below the limit.

There also seems to be an increase in the number of inebriated or otherwise impaired pedestrians purposely or carelessly stepping into traffic. That makes certain drivers irritated with pedestrians in general. I read in the news recently that there were over 500 incidents of pedestrians wandering on I-5 in May. That used to be really unusual, now it's normal in some parts of the city.

A couple of weeks ago I had a woman in a minivan see me walking in a parking lot and quickly whip the wheel and head straight for me with a nasty look on her face. The other people in the lot all stopped and stared in disbelief that she'd do that. I guess she was just having a bad day or something and I happened to be in her way.

I'll add that due to all of the above, I'm now extra courteous about stopping for pedestrians especially off main roads. Someone has to set an example.

Last edited by mkarch; 06-29-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Generally walking is easy and safe. But drivers definitely don't respect crosswalks unless there are stripes and/or a light.

My greatest wish would be universal enforcement of cars running red lights and/or being in the crosswalk against the light. That might be understandable one time in a hundred, but some intersections are like that incessantly...the reason can only be stupidity or malice with a deadly weapon.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
You should go to the Midwest. They never stop for pedestrians there. Actually, Seattle drivers are very patient and courteous.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:27 AM

109 posts, read 141,041 times
Go to south Florida, half the pedestrians here wouldn't survive lol

Old 06-30-2016, 01:34 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Where are you from, OP? I moved to Seattle from California, where the pedestrian always has the right-of-way, no matter what. I learned very quickly that Seattle drivers aren't obligated to stop for pedestrians, except within certain parameters.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:55 AM

117 posts, read 143,388 times
The cemetery is full of people who had the right-of-way.

Personally, I think too many people in Seattle think if they are walking they can do whatever they want without paying attention to their surroundings. If a car is driving 30 mph you can't expect them to screech to a halt because your toe entered a crosswalk.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM

328 posts, read 473,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla07 View Post
Go to south Florida, half the pedestrians here wouldn't survive lol
Amen to that!! So true!!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:47 AM

27 posts, read 22,734 times
For the past two days I have had to brake hard because pedestrians crossed the street against the green.
Just walked out into traffic and expected people to wait for them cross even though traffic had the green.
Or people didn't stop crossing once the red light went to green. This is not in the middle of the night, but mid-day. When the roads are very crowded and lights change fast. The pedestrians here are stupid and suicidal.
I'm low on sympathy here.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Report: Seattle drivers among the very worst in the nation | KOMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area