Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM

361 posts, read 398,251 times

Advertisements

I went to Kirkland area this past weekend to meet up with a friend from church. I also wanted to go on a boat ride, so I drove up to Kirkland boat harbor to take the boat tour.

Nice place, no doubt about that.

But what really irked me were the drivers in that neck of the wood.

I parked my car, and proceeded to cross the street to meet my friend at a local restaurant near the Kirkland harbor. This is the bustling area near the intersection of Lake Street and Kirkland Ave. While I was crossing the street, a car was driving towards me and didn't even budge to slow down as the car was approaching me. This was also not a heavy traffic street, but a small street near residential apartments. As the driver sped up to me, she stuck her head out of her driver window and screamed "Hey f--ker, use the crosswalk!" I was pissed off so I shouted to this idiot to slow down or else she could kill somebody with her useless mustang.

After lunch with my friend, we parted ways, and then I proceeded to walk to the boat harbor for the boat ride. After the ride, I walked back to my car which was about 1/2 mile away.

I had to cross a street, and in one instance, I was in the crosswalk already halfway through the street.

I then see a truck barrelling down the street at high speed, approaching the crosswalk I was in.

Thank God I used common sense and stopped walking. Otherwise, I would not be alive right now, and would be a pile of hamburger.

The freaking truck just drove right past me while I stood in the crosswalk. I then screamed at the driver and wish I had a rock in my hand at that time to toss at the speeding truck.

Just behind that truck, was a car. Guess what? that car also didn't stop for me when I was waiting in the crosswalk, halfway through the street.

So from that day experience of being in Kirkland, I have negative views of people living there. They seem really mean, cocky, and unfriendly. And yes, I would caution you guys, if you do walk or jog/run around Kirkland area (and even parts of Bellevue) to be very careful of these idiots who could care less about pedestrians' lives.

I've also had near-hit/near-death encounters in Bellevue (the area near Overlake Hospital) as well as running and jogging here in Puyallup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
East side drivers can be awful. They're not much nicer to other drivers. I attribute it to Eastside sense of entitlement.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Seattleites are the worst drivers I've ever seen.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
East side drivers can be awful. They're not much nicer to other drivers. I attribute it to Eastside sense of entitlement.
Yeah, seems like it with their wealth entitlement, like you've stated. I never knew though, that Kirkland (Jerk-land) was a high-income neighborhood, like Bellevue.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seattleites are the worst drivers I've ever seen.
Nah, I disagree. I have lived in other parts of the US, and I'd say L.A., New York city and Dallas/Ft Worth have terrible drivers.

I have also lived in Chicago and Indy, and those drivers are complete idiots! They merge into your lane without signalling, and if you're drive fast and trying to past the, they slightly merge into your lane, trying to side swipe you.

Nevertheless, drivers in Puget Sound don't give a rat's a$$ about pedestrian safety. There was another thread here in this forum complaining about the same experience other pedestrians have experienced.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:16 PM

759 posts, read 636,823 times
They're everywhere.

I was commuting home from Seattle last week and in the long line to get on I-5 a guy zooms to the front and attempts to cut in front of me... of course I didn't let him in and he proceeds to get behind me and go ballistic behind the wheel. He flips me off about 6 times... then after we get on I-5 he speeds by me on the shoulder with his finger out the window... THEN about 2 miles down the road he actually pulls over on I-5 to... yep... give me the finger again.

The other day I was in Kent... I was cut off by a guy who then... same thing... sticks his middle finger out the window. Well, I kinda lost it at that point. I floored it.. got right on his ass and followed him for a mile or so. Then when we got to the next light I pulled along side and rolled down my window to ask him what his problem was.

Of course he totally ignored me while continuing to look at his cell phone.

Is there any doubt where road rage comes from? Dealing with jackass drivers like the above.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:57 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Driverless cars couldn't come soon enough... Too many of us humans have lost respect for other human life and things like social compacts and the rule of law.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:46 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It sounds like in the first incident, you were jaywalking. Unlike California, WA drivers are not required to stop for anyone crossing the street, especially jaywalkers. Crossing in a crosswalk when the light is with you (if there's a light) is another matter, of course.

2nd incident, you were in the crosswalk. Good job. But it sounds like you didn't look both ways before stepping out into it. Big trucks can't stop as fast as cars; you should look before you use a crosswalk if there's no light. Still, any vehicle has to observe the speed limit for that street or section of street. Either he was exceeding the limit, or you weren't aware that the street was more of a major thoroughfare than you'd thought.

Being from California, I was used to drivers stopping for anyone crossing the street anytime, anyplace. I learned very fast that it's different in and around Seattle. After realizing that, I had no more problems. It takes two to tango, and knowing the tango rules helps.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like in the first incident, you were jaywalking. Unlike California, WA drivers are not required to stop for anyone crossing the street, especially jaywalkers. Crossing in a crosswalk when the light is with you (if there's a light) is another matter, of course.

2nd incident, you were in the crosswalk. Good job. But it sounds like you didn't look both ways before stepping out into it. Big trucks can't stop as fast as cars; you should look before you use a crosswalk if there's no light. Still, any vehicle has to observe the speed limit for that street or section of street. Either he was exceeding the limit, or you weren't aware that the street was more of a major thoroughfare than you'd thought.

Being from California, I was used to drivers stopping for anyone crossing the street anytime, anyplace. I learned very fast that it's different in and around Seattle. After realizing that, I had no more problems. It takes two to tango, and knowing the tango rules helps.
Not true. Pedestrians have the right of way here. Yes, they can be ticketed for jaywalking but cars still have to stop for them no matter what.

And screaming out and cussing at the person is not ok. Ever.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,179 times
Sad but true. A couple of months ago my 11 year old daughter suffered a concussion in a gymnastic competition. We were rushing her to the nearest ER which is 10 minutes from the gym. While we were close to the ER, we realized that the ER was on the right side of the road and our car was traveling on the left lane. My wife who is the driver put on the right turn signal, I (on the passenger side) rolled down the window to plead with the drivers on the right to let us merge. None of the 4 drivers on the right lane allowed us to merge. We missed the turn and had to do a U-turn at the next intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area