Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,703 times

Advertisements

Hi. I want to move to seattle, but I know that Im going to have to live in a suburb further away for financial reasons, so I just wanted to know exactly how bad is the commute from puyallup to seattle? Is it better to take the sounder commuter train or to drive? also, what is the commute from everett to seattle like? also, are places like kent, renton, and federal way really that bad? Im basically trying to figure out which poison to pick--longer commute but cheaper housing, shorter commute but maybe not a good of a neighborhood... any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM

99 posts, read 612,408 times
I've taken Sounder into Seattle from Kent and Tukwila for several training courses and its a great way to commute. Its nice to know exactly when you'll arrive regardless of weather or traffic conditions. About the only downside is that the train station is at the south end of downtown Seattle, so you either have a 15-20 minute walk or hop a bus. Also, apparently the parking garages at the south-end stops fill up quickly.

As for driving from Puyallup to Seattle, no thanks! I haven't made the drive, but I'd bet its a 60-75 minute average commute if you're driving solo. From listening to traffic reports, I think that Everett to Seattle averages a little over an hour as well.

Kent, Renton and Federal Way each have decent areas and others that aren't quite as nice. Much of south King County has been improving over the past decade. I wouldn't hesitate to live in any of them if I didn't have children. With children, the quality of schools might make me look elsewhere. If you search the forum, you should find a bunch of additional information on these areas.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:25 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
South King County/North Pierce County neighborhoods

Check out this thread from a few days ago. Gresford is also looking in that south king co/north pierce co area. Personally, I would recommend the Lakeland, Algona, Pacific areas. Auburn gets a bad rap, but there are parts that really are quite nice.

For the commute, Puyallup really would be a "bear." The Sounder is the best option for commuting. Sumner also could be a good place to look if planning to Sounder to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area