Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:24 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On the Crime Index, with 100 being the best, Shelton is rated 1. Mostly property, with 84 property crimes per 1,000 residents, 4 violent crimes/1,000. That does have a significant effect on rent.
No idea Shelton scored so low...

Would you have a link as I have family members thinking of moving there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:06 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 11:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
We have friends living at Lake Cushman and they have not mentioned anything.

I do know people out on the Peninsula that have mentioned an uptick in break ins during the day.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
They are coming from Texas which has no income tax. Nevada has no income tax and there are others. Washington is more expensive by multiples than Texas and they are wanting Texas prices.
I will take my Texas rental income (2x WA). - and my Texas property prices and taxes (1/2 WA) any day of the week. 13% ROE in TX, 6% ROE in WA.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:59 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I will take my Texas rental income (2x WA). - and my Texas property prices and taxes (1/2 WA) any day of the week. 13% ROE in TX, 6% ROE in WA.
Stealth you should! You should take all that Texas offers you and thank you for posting the positives of Texas here!

Old 10-21-2016, 02:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slan490 View Post
Try Shelton WA.
Homeless youth in Shelton: No place to go | Crosscut

Quote:
Often perceived as a more significant issue in the state's urban centers, statistics from Washington's Superintendent of Public Instruction show the highest percentages of youth homelessness are in the state's rural depressed communities. With 9 percent of its students homeless, Shelton School District's homeless rate is three times the state average of just under 3 percent. Seattle Public Schools had 2,370 homeless students, or a little less than 5 percent of its total student population.
Shelton was a "mill town", as well as effectively a "company town" (Simpson Lumber Company). Like many other mill towns, it has seen better times.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:16 PM

500 posts, read 841,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Shelton is a great place to pay low rent, but a sad place to try to get ahead in life. Last time I was there I had a junkie chat me up in the Safeway cafe. She was trying to decide if it was worth walking all the way up the hill by the Walmart to pick up her check.

We were very sad to see that most of the old downtown was completely shut down. Lots and lots of empty store fronts. My grandfather used to live there and my mom and I were swinging through for old times sake. It was so depressing. I gets better someday soon.
I was in Downtown Shelton a few times this year and don't see it being "shut down" at all. If you mean not crowded like Seattle in peak hour -- oh yes, it's not, and better stay this way.
Plenty of stores and they're open, didn't see even one shut down. May be somewhere on side streets? I know what downtown with shut down stores looks like, this is quite the opposite. The downtown is safe and clean, heaven compared to hellish Downtown Olympia, and in Seattle I saw plenty of homeless and junkies, speaking of depressing towns.

Also, I come to that Walmart to shop sometimes from where I live in the boonies: it's a very "upscale" Walmart, compared to most other US locations, I assure you, and I've been to many. Everyone there is very nice, polite and helpful. As to junkies...never seen one in local Safeway...not sure why you maintained conversation with someone you perceived as a junkie; may be change your clothes and you won't get approached.

I have another residence in SF Bay area: try local Safeway in expensive real estate location near Google Co campus, that's where I saw some real junkies and people make me uneasy there!

Town had Simpson lumber mill (key local industry) sold to Sierra Pacific and temporarily shut down (summer 2016); it got rebuilt and modernized and re-opening in early 2017 somewhere, will be the largest lumber cutting facility on the West Coast.

Last edited by xani; 12-04-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 12-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Homeless youth in Shelton: No place to go | Crosscut

Shelton was a "mill town", as well as effectively a "company town" (Simpson Lumber Company). Like many other mill towns, it has seen better times.
It's no longer Simpson lumber. It's Sierra Pacific that is re-opening huge modernized mill shortly instead of old one. With high degree of automation, mills don't employ as many people as they used to long ago, simply, and time for people to switch to other types of work, life doesn't stand still, for good or bad.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
We have friends living at Lake Cushman and they have not mentioned anything.

I do know people out on the Peninsula that have mentioned an uptick in break ins during the day.
Olympia is where the crime is. I go shopping there, from the boonies of Penninsula. Downtown is full of junkies and they're in West Olympia too, everywhere, begging--healhty looking young males mostly. I try to shop and get the hell back to my car before someone breaks in. In rural Penninsula this is not an issue by any means. One just has to take reasonable precautions such as locking vehicles, houses, etc that one takes anywhere unless they live in a fantasy land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area