U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:45 PM

128 posts, read 101,493 times

Advertisements

I just moved back from Alaska for college and live with family again here in Auburn/Kent area. I grew up majority of my time in Kent,WA. Over the span of me being in college I lost contact with many people especially women. Most are married now or just out of touch. I turn 27 in a few months and was wondering how can I plug myself back in? Any advice for a guy rolling solo most of the time? I tried tinder/bumble but I got tired of swiping 1000+ times and getting nothing in return lol.

Any advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:47 AM

337 posts, read 384,859 times
Honestly, man, being social is not rocket science. Think about the things you like to do - hobbies, music, etc, and find a place or places where those things exist and/or people with those same interests hang-out.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
Honestly, man, being social is not rocket science. Think about the things you like to do - hobbies, music, etc, and find a place or places where those things exist and/or people with those same interests hang-out.
havent had much of a social life since i moved back. Just been looking for jobs honestly. Most of my old friends here are just busy and have their own lives.

thanks though

Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 AM

231 posts, read 504,353 times
Being unemployed and trying to date is tough! Definitely an easy way to expand your social circle is with a girlfriend and tapping into her social network...Get a job! Try Match.com too--way better than tinder IMO. Seattle single scene is tough for guys--seems like there are 10 single guys for every attractive single female. A match profile allows you to show more pics and have a profile that a lot of women read. You also can send emails vs the whole swipe right which is very generic--how many of those tinder interests do you think most women get each day? Hundreds?

Polymorphist is correct--I cant tell you how many friends Ive made playing tennis. Ive got friends that are avid motorcycle riders and have made DOZENS of friends in that arena. Good luck

Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Being unemployed and trying to date is tough! Definitely an easy way to expand your social circle is with a girlfriend and tapping into her social network...Get a job! Try Match.com too--way better than tinder IMO. Seattle single scene is tough for guys--seems like there are 10 single guys for every attractive single female. A match profile allows you to show more pics and have a profile that a lot of women read. You also can send emails vs the whole swipe right which is very generic--how many of those tinder interests do you think most women get each day? Hundreds?

Polymorphist is correct--I cant tell you how many friends Ive made playing tennis. Ive got friends that are avid motorcycle riders and have made DOZENS of friends in that arena. Good luck

Yea I'm not new to the males outnumbering the females. Anchorage Alaska is definitely the same with less people. It lets the women be more picky. I definitely had an easier time when I was younger it seemed as though everybody was open to dating casually but now that I'm 27 its a bit different lol

Great advice I'll definitely give match.com a shot. Tinder/Bumble are both pretty bad honestly. I tried POF and that one just has a bunch of weirdos. I am 6'2" and have a decent athletic build but even that doesn't make it easier.

I think its more on me than it is the city itself. Seattle is a bit different though.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:46 PM

the thing is I play alot of basketball and that mostly men ofcourse. I do hot yoga but its not a social atmosphere at all.

I can already see how slow of a process it will be to meet people out here lol. Anchorage Ak is honestly alot more social than here.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:41 AM

78,956 posts, read 70,771,627 times
The way it's done is by joining activity groups, etc. Hiking: the Mountaineers. (They have singles hikes.) Find out what's happening at REI Co-op: attend their travel seminars and other activities. They have a social scene, too. The Seattle Parks Dept. organizes co-ed soccer leagues and volleyball groups in the parks around town. I don't know how that would work in Kent, but see if there's a local Parks Dept. there. They also offer martial arts classes, music classes, theater groups, and other stuff. Take a cooking class or two; look for specialized cuisines, like Chinese, Thai, French, whatever. It's mostly women in those classes. There'll be some older ones, but there should be a couple in your age range, too.

Check out a couple of gyms in your area, and see which ones draw women, and which ones offer classes like yoga, Tai Chi or Chi Gong. Those tend to be majority women. I've found the community gyms in Seattle to be very friendly and social. The private ones that are expensive are very different. The YMCA ones and other budget ones are good for meeting people. Sometimes they even organize social events on an occasional evening or weekend. Volunteer a couple of hrs./weekend for the nearest PCC Coop to you. There's one in West Seattle, I don't know if there's one farther south.

I agree about Anchorage; I spent a week there, and the guys were more outgoing than in Seattle. They didn't miss an opportunity to say hello to a new female face. That's far from the case in Seattle.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The way it's done is by joining activity groups, etc. Hiking: the Mountaineers. (They have singles hikes.) Find out what's happening at REI Co-op: attend their travel seminars and other activities. They have a social scene, too. The Seattle Parks Dept. organizes co-ed soccer leagues and volleyball groups in the parks around town. I don't know how that would work in Kent, but see if there's a local Parks Dept. there. They also offer martial arts classes, music classes, theater groups, and other stuff. Take a cooking class or two; look for specialized cuisines, like Chinese, Thai, French, whatever. It's mostly women in those classes. There'll be some older ones, but there should be a couple in your age range, too.

Check out a couple of gyms in your area, and see which ones draw women, and which ones offer classes like yoga, Tai Chi or Chi Gong. Those tend to be majority women. I've found the community gyms in Seattle to be very friendly and social. The private ones that are expensive are very different. The YMCA ones and other budget ones are good for meeting people. Sometimes they even organize social events on an occasional evening or weekend. Volunteer a couple of hrs./weekend for the nearest PCC Coop to you. There's one in West Seattle, I don't know if there's one farther south.

I agree about Anchorage; I spent a week there, and the guys were more outgoing than in Seattle. They didn't miss an opportunity to say hello to a new female face. That's far from the case in Seattle.
Thanks! I'll give some of those co-ed leagues a try especially volleyball . Where can I join or sign up for the single hikes? How are the m/f ratios on those typically?

Anchorage is heavy on single men to single women but regardless they are different up there like you said they will not waste an opportunity to say hi.

How are Seattle men in your experience? I have no problem in cold approaching but if women here find that creepy id appreciate the heads up lol

Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM

78,956 posts, read 70,771,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
Thanks! I'll give some of those co-ed leagues a try especially volleyball . Where can I join or sign up for the single hikes? How are the m/f ratios on those typically?

Anchorage is heavy on single men to single women but regardless they are different up there like you said they will not waste an opportunity to say hi.

How are Seattle men in your experience? I have no problem in cold approaching but if women here find that creepy id appreciate the heads up lol
Contact the Mountaineers to find out about their hikes.
Contact the Parks Dept. to find out about volleyball. M/F ratio on the hikes? It depends, but IME it's pretty 50/50, but it may depend on the level of difficulty of the hike. If you go for a low to moderate-difficulty one, you'll get more women vs. a more challenging one.

How refreshing: a guy who cold approaches!! Where were you when I lived in Seattle? I don't know how "Seattle women" react, as I was a transplant from California who was used to being chatty and friendly (and generally got icy responses). I know my gf's were open to being chatted up, but it very rarely happened. I can't imagine you could go wrong with just being casually friendly, for starters, but it's Seattle, so who knows? OTOH, I did notice a difference outside of Seattle; people were friendlier, so you may be fine. Let us know after you've gotten settled in and have been there awhile.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Contact the Mountaineers to find out about their hikes.
Contact the Parks Dept. to find out about volleyball. M/F ratio on the hikes? It depends, but IME it's pretty 50/50, but it may depend on the level of difficulty of the hike. If you go for a low to moderate-difficulty one, you'll get more women vs. a more challenging one.

How refreshing: a guy who cold approaches!! Where were you when I lived in Seattle? I don't know how "Seattle women" react, as I was a transplant from California who was used to being chatty and friendly (and generally got icy responses). I know my gf's were open to being chatted up, but it very rarely happened. I can't imagine you could go wrong with just being casually friendly, for starters, but it's Seattle, so who knows? OTOH, I did notice a difference outside of Seattle; people were friendlier, so you may be fine. Let us know after you've gotten settled in and have been there awhile.
I'll check into that. Thanks again for the tips!

I would just cold approach randomly at the grocery store and conversations would flow but I'd find out many girls were not single so it was not a good ratio lol.

I lived in Alaska from 2011-May 2016. It was easier to meet people up there than it is here so far. I went to high school here in Seattle(Kent) and a bit of community college. When you're younger things seem to be a bit more easier than it is now I feel. I lost contact with most people I knew here so its like I'm starting fresh again. California is so cool they are very chatty down there. I would visit and have been trying to move there but waiting on job offers currently Which region of the states are you located in now?

Thanks again for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or