Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times

Advertisements

We never rent out our place. It is a true second home for us and we go back and forth throughout the year. In addition to the summer, the kids' school has a week-long break every six weeks. Both of our homes are considerably more modest than what we can afford singly, but we don't give a flip about fancy homes or zip codes. Thus, it's more affordable than you might think.

From a romance standpoint, I also vote Austin over Seattle. I lived in Austin for almost a decade (and a UT grad) and people are more socially relaxed and open. Probably because of the weather. (Although, I met my own husband in Seattle while at UW.)

I really don't know enough about Denver to include it in the comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 17,210 times
Gardyloo:

Austin Pros: is cost of living, more social, winter/fall/spring climate, proximity to family (all within a day's drive), can retire.

Austin Cons: rest of Texas, summer.

Seattle Pros: summer climate, scenery, outdoor activities of my type (hiking, cycling, nature)

Seattle Cons: cost of living, winter climate, less openly social, distance from family, have to work.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSkyliner View Post
Gardyloo:

Austin Pros: is cost of living, more social, winter/fall/spring climate, proximity to family (all within a day's drive), can retire.

Austin Cons: rest of Texas, summer.

Seattle Pros: summer climate, scenery, outdoor activities of my type (hiking, cycling, nature)

Seattle Cons: cost of living, winter climate, less openly social, distance from family, have to work.
What do you think of the suggestions to live over on the Kitsap Peninsula, a ferry-ride away from Seattle, where there's a military community and significantly lower rents/RE prices? How important is retirement to you? What about taking that course, and using the opportunity as a chance to dip your toe in the water and try the region on for size, while maintaining your TX residence? You could check out not only the city, but some of the outlying areas if you stay an extra couple of days after each weekend class stint.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Let's mix this up a bit. What about romantic considerations?. Anyone care to venture which of the three places under consideration (Seattle, Denver, Austin) would be better for a newly single, straight, early 50s guy?
Austin, probably, unless you settle in Port Townsend (Olympic Peninsula), which has a large retirement/50+ community. Nearby Sequim has a lot of that, too. Though there are retirees moving into Bremerton and nearby, too.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 17,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Austin, probably, unless you settle in Port Townsend (Olympic Peninsula), which has a large retirement/50+ community. Nearby Sequim has a lot of that, too. Though there are retirees moving into Bremerton and nearby, too.
Could I ask you to elaborate on why Austin for romantic prospects?

Last edited by WesternSkyliner; 07-27-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 21,176 times
I don't know how long it's been since you were in Austin, but be aware that housing is rapidly getting more expensive there. There are still some areas where you can get an older single family home for <$200,000, but you'll be far away from Austin's attractions and the high property taxes will be a factor if prices continue to increase

Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Could I ask you to elaborate on why Austin for romantic prospects?
I'm not an expert. But I thought you said it was more social, and I imagine people are friendly/neighborly, as I've heard that's how people are in TX and the south. The NW is VERY DIFFERENT in this regard! Some people move to Seattle or elsewhere around Puget Sound, and hate it. They struggle to make friends, struggle to get to know their neighbors, some give up. Others do ok. In your case, if you were to settle around Bremerton or the other communities I mentioned, where there are a lot of people your age and up (Bellingham is another one), you could do ok. Or if you're naturally outgoing, that would help.

But re: Austin, and around TX in general, it all comes easier, I gather. People are very reserved in the NW, except some of the communities that attract retirees are a bit better in that regard.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
We all know WA is not the place for romance and relationships. But remotely possible. The good ones show up when you are not looking. For finding a USA keeper... You need to take a trip to WY, SD, ND. Capable, low maint, low expectations (very few gold-diggers, just whole-hearted and knowledgable farm chicks.

I have lived 28 yrs in CO and 30+ in WA and spent parts of last 30 winters in my hill country home.

I would choose none of the above, but since you have a son / student. Do something very fun, valuable, and adventurous for him. Chances are good you won't be seeing much of him in a couple yrs. unlikely that priority would include you working in the near term. There is plenty of time to go back to work. (And date) (If you must do either, not a great idea while he is home). By all means adventure seek. It can be very cheap. Our current one year Round-the-World is time well spent (terminal spouse), and not very expensive. We have only had to do 2 hotels in 8 months. Mostly $10 or likely free guest homes. (Not Air B&B, did 8 of those, they were terrible)

NZ and The Netherlands have been favorites. You can buy a used camper van in NZ for $3000 and camp many terrific beaches and mtns for free. We cook our own meals and eat very cheap. (Grocery store produce culls, often free in early morning). Consumers are not keen on bruised produce. I'm a produce grower, so I have been eating my culls for 50 yrs.

Your son can get a student / work visa for AU and NZ and stay 2 yrs longer!

I wouldn't pass up a couple yrs with my son for all the babes in USA. They will be there later. (And more!)
A move to a busy and new area..... Even worse.

Retire early, retire often.!

Old 07-28-2016, 01:33 PM

I've found Colorado to be very friendly. Even more so than California. But the OP doesn't care for the weather. Frankly, I'd be tempted to move to CO, if I could find a job there, because of how friendly people are. But IDK, maybe that's just me.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Colorado is very friendly, espacially outside of metro Denver.

But.... There is a lot of strife in Colorado (political, growth pains, youth gun violence)

There is a lot of pressure on recreation, and the scenery, peace and quiet people that people move to Colorado to find (over populated, short on resources, funding).

OP will have plenty of TX friends in CO. They have been coming to CO for decades.

Most military friendly spot in CO is Colo Springs, but.... not enough ladies to go around for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area