U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,161 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I would be moving to Seattle and am looking for a good community nearby with Indian grocery stores around. My work location is Seattle and am willing to travel for 30 to 40 mins. I have narrowed down Belvue Cross Roads, Redmond, Issaquah and Sammamish. Which of these localities have the best school districts, is safe and has Indian population around. Any specific apartments that I should consider/avoid. Any pointers greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 05:16 PM

50 posts, read 48,331 times
All of the neighborhoods you have listed will have an Indian community with Indian stores. If you're commuting to Seattle, I'd think about how you want to commute. Sammamish is a long commute to Seattle. Bellevue will have the most transit options and the shortest commute into Seattle. It has lots of Indian families, stores, and restaurants where the majority of patrons are Indian. The Crossroads area of Bellevue definitely has a lot of Indians, but my sense is that there are a lot of apartment dwellers, which may or may not be what you want long term, but might be a good place to rent a place while you get a feel for where you'd like to live long term. That area will also give you some transit options into the city.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,825 posts, read 49,244,872 times
I agree, Sammamish has only one Indian store, but more and more immigrants moving here and buying.of the cities mentioned, I would consider Issaquah to have the least number but that's changing as the Highlands continues to add more big apartment buildings.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM

1,526 posts, read 769,896 times
I think there is one near White Center but they only accept Wampum, no cards or checks.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 AM

587 posts, read 411,112 times
Kirkland is now getting a huge influx of home buyers from India, which I would assume would be followed by an influx of appropriate stores. An enterprising business person would grab a storefront in the Totem lake mall, which is being renovated literally from the ground up.

North Rose Hill in Kirkland has a bunch of apartments, if the downtown Kirkland apartments are getting ridiculous. And the commute is "handy" to a number of of high tech centers, and bus lines to Seattle.

Of course the commute over to Seattle is still horrendous, just maybe slightly less horrendous than say Sammamish.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:51 AM

533 posts, read 549,131 times
As a newcomer, I would strongly suggest the Crossroads area for a variety of reasons. Since it is, basically, adjacent to the central Microsoft campus, the Indian (software engineer) population is huge. There are many fine Indian groceries and restaurants in the area, most of which are within walking distance. The Indian community is extremely social up there and welcoming. If you choose an apartment right up on 156th or nearby, you have excellent freeway access into Seattle.

The population consists of many single young men, a smaller number of single young women, and young couples - many with very small children. The schools in the area are good and the high school (Interlake) is excellent. Many Indian couples with school age children do prefer other areas of Bellevue and Redmond, once they are ready to purchase a home. If you're single though, I'd stick with Crossroads. Any of the apartments are fine, they are all modest in amenities, and the rents are reasonable by East Side standards.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 12,161 times
Thanks all for your info. To elaborate, I would be driving to work to Seattle. I prefer to be near a good elementary school for my kid. We prefer to spend around 1800$ pm for rent. Is it good enough.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:39 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,441,056 times
you might want to post the same question on this site to get advice from other Indians in Seattle

Seattle Indian (SeattleIndian, India, Desi): Seattle Desi Indian (India) in Seattle. Connection to Indian (Desi) Community in Seattle

other sites thatmight be of interest- good luck in your move

https://www.facebook.com/seattleindian/

Seattle Indian Travel Agents, Temples, Indian Restaurants

https://www.meetup.com/BollywoodSEA/

Old 07-01-2018, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 752 times
Issaquah and sammamish has very good school district.

For indian groceries no need to drive to store. Shoperies.com delivers to our door step with affordable prices.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 3,594,937 times
Hey SSK,

Another vote for Crossroards. It's close to everything, good schools, access to transit, variety of apartments nearby. The mall itself is low key, down to earth, a number of ethnicities and cultures mixing in a nice way. Great Indian grocery I go to often close to there: India Super Market Bellevue Grocery Stores Seattle Indian Grocery Stores

Cheers,
Vince
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or