Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times

Advertisements

I'm going to move from north Seattle to maybe Tacoma. Along with congestion, crime, noise level, and walkability, another factor I look at when deciding where to move is how far I'll have to drive to buy my food. I usually only shop at the big chains like Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, etc when I have to, for one or two items. It's usually because it's after 10 pm, I'm on my way home, and remember that I'm out of eggs for breakfast the next day, or I have a craving for munchies, and nothing at home.

I mostly shop at Ballard Market, Grocery Outlet, Whole Foods, PCC, Costco, and Cash & Carry, depending upon what I buy - my fresh produce and staples, I want organic. My canned, frozen foods and boxed foods I want cheap. I don't trust the "organic" labels at the big chains.

I've been to one natural food store in Tacoma, I can't remember the name, but it was both expensive and had limited selection. Farmer's markets aren't necessarily organic, but at least they usually don't load the food up with preservatives in preparation for a thousand-mile, week-long journey.

In what neighborhoods of Tacoma would I find independent grocery stores or farmers markets that carry a good selection of fresh food and deli items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
All I know is that when Whole Foods moved into my neighborhood (West Queen Anne/Interbay), my building got bought and my rent jacked up. I'm guessing you're moving (like I did), because you're being priced out of where you are.

There is a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in University Place. No PCC. You might not want to expect rents there to stay flat (watch out for your building being bought), however, although they are certainly now much more affordable than in the Seattle-Bellevue area. There are farmers markets in Proctor and downtown Tacoma.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,289 times
We've been to Marlene's a few times but because of the crime and congestion in both Tacoma and Federal Way, we now avoid both areas as much as we can (coming from the Yelm/Lacey area).

Marlene's is pretty expensive but good quality. It gets good ratings on both Google and Yelp.

Marlene's Market & Deli

Tacoma location is just north of the Tacoma Mall on 38th and the Federal Way location is in Gateway Center just off the 320th interchange.

eta: and don't forget about the farmers' market in the Proctor area ...a Saturday market only (closed in the winter). One of the best and a great place to wander on a Saturday. Proctor Farmers' Market

Last edited by poopskooper; 08-01-2016 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 11:51 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Marlene's
Food Co-op
Metropolitan Market
Whole Foods (University Place)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area