Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:29 PM

297 posts, read 1,034,976 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure people in Seattle drive all that slow anymore Motoman, at least not in the left lanes. I-5 from Federal Way to Downtown Seattle is like a SoCal freeway these days with the flow of traffic being 75 or more. If there is a slowpoke in the fast lane numerous cars will pass them on the right and cut right in front of them. That usually scares them into moving into one of the slower lanes.

On 405 between Bellevue and Bothell people drive pretty fast too.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
I'd say designating every single driving person in Seattle an A--hole is an interesting take on traffic conditions.

I wish they'd say that on KING 5. That would be hilarious.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM

121 posts, read 535,960 times
I've lived here my whole life, learned how to drive here, and have spent a great deal of time on the roads here. I have also driven in most other metropolian cities in America...including L.A., Miami, and Manhattan.

With that said, the Seattle drivers are indeed the most frustrating group of drivers I have ever seen. 60 on the nose in the left lane is normal, not allowing anyone to merge is normal, we the residents of Seattle are indeed, a bunch of crappy drivers.

Now, as far as your comment about all of our excess Freeway capacity...we may not be LA, but one thing we don't have any of here is excess infrastructure....

Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM

41 posts, read 173,003 times
I am from LA and now live in Salt Lake City, these people are the worst drivers I have ever encountered. You should be happy they leave some space between cars, these idiots drive 90 mph, cut you off, and are happily talking away on their cell phone. When I stop at a light I look in my mirror to make sure nobody is rear ending me, they literaly dont start breaking until they almost hit you,,,,,it's insane!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
It's amusing that you can go to just about any city's forum on this site and find a thread devoted to that city having the crappiest drivers in the nation. *shrugs shoulders*

After learning to drive in Seattle and spending decades putting up with the traffic there, I tend to agree with a lot of the comments here but I've seen worse drivers in cities such as Denver, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and some east coast cities ...I'm almost tempted to say, give me drivers in Seattle any day but then I remember how frustrated I was driving in Seattle traffic.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'd say designating every single driving person in Seattle an A--hole is an interesting take on traffic conditions.

I wish they'd say that on KING 5. That would be hilarious.

Obviously not every driver in Seattle is an a--hole. But it's more fun to generalize. :-)

Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
I'm not sure people in Seattle drive all that slow anymore Motoman, at least not in the left lanes. I-5 from Federal Way to Downtown Seattle is like a SoCal freeway these days with the flow of traffic being 75 or more. If there is a slowpoke in the fast lane numerous cars will pass them on the right and cut right in front of them. That usually scares them into moving into one of the slower lanes.

On 405 between Bellevue and Bothell people drive pretty fast too.

That's interesting, because I didn't see that at all. Then again, I wasn't driving during rush hours either. The fastest I think I saw anyone go was about 70. And most of the time that person was me. It was the strangest thing doing 70 and passing everyone. Most people never got over the 60 mph speed limit. I don't think I have ever seen such a large group of cars doing 60 mph on the nose. Perplexing. In LA you've got people doing anywhere from 50 to 80 with a 65 mph speed limit. All in the same lane. Haha! But that seems normal to me.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
I've been here for 7 months, commuting on the 5 for a LOT of it, and I have to say that I would MUCH rather be driving out here than with the crazies back east.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 23,554 times
Motoman,

You make me laugh! Of course you are right. Seattle drivers are insufferable--especially with their habit of "lane camping" (i.e., driving 55 mph in the passing lane). There is a simple explanation: Seattleites are the most passive-aggressive people on earth. So, believe me, the driving habits are fully intended to get under your skin. I'm a native New Englander who cut my teeth driving in Boston. I don't think I'll ever adjust. I just scare the bejeesus out of people by passing them at 80 mph on the right, etc--(I know, it's bad, but what can you do?) Anyway, as annoying as Seattle drivers can be it's still better than some of the crazy ____ that you see in other cities . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area