Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:07 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times

Advertisements

If you want to rent a room in a shared house, look at cohousing. There are retired folks who are looking for roommates and you would probably enjoy the company. There are several in the Seattle area. You may have to contact each one individually about potential rentals.

The Cohousing Directory | The Cohousing Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 03:15 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
HUD Section 202 is for "supportive housing" for the elderly. The properties I'm pointing to are HUD Project-Based Section 8 and USDA Rental Assistance Project-Based properties.

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org

Focus on "Senior only" and "Seniors/Persons with Disabilities" (which are mostly for seniors anyway). Here are a couple in Seattle with "6 months to a year":

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org (near Pike Place Market)

aptfinder | Low Income Housing at AptFinder.org (Northgate)

Note: There are seven such properties in Spokane with "1 to 3 months", "3 to 6 months", or "6 months to a year" waiting lists. There are two in Pullman.

You do have the advantage of having some time. You might have to relocate well outside of Seattle for starters, while continuing to look for a property in the Seattle area.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 08-19-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 50,205 times
Smile I have a studio in Seattle!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. While I still think we senior citizens should remain open about 'intentional house shares' I've just learned that one of my waiting lists has come in sooner than later and I'll be moving to downtown Seattle come October 1st.

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,173 times
I think it's a great idea. You have companionship and housemates to look out for each other...I keep thinking of the Golden Girls tv show!

I am glad you found an affordable apartment, OP, but you have a good idea there...

Old 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundreamer66 View Post
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. While I still think we senior citizens should remain open about 'intentional house shares' I've just learned that one of my waiting lists has come in sooner than later and I'll be moving to downtown Seattle come October 1st.

Congrats! Be sure to give us an update once you get settled in.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:15 PM

27 posts, read 28,572 times
I hope I'm as cool as you when I'm 66! Good luck!

Old 09-15-2016, 01:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundreamer66 View Post

Ooh, that sounds like a cool location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area