U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 AM

2,710 posts, read 4,203,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian97 View Post
It's nicer here than 6 weeks. It's been great since mid-June here. July couldn't have been nicer, and August is fine.
I agree
May - 6 days above 65, 4 days 70s, 1 - 84, 1 - 90 (May 2008 was colder than usual)
June - 4 days above 65, 6 days 70s, 3 - 80s, 2 - 90s (June 2008 was colder than usual too)
July - 5 days above 65, 16 - 70s, 9 - 80s
August (1st-13th) - 1 - 69, 7 - 70s, 5 - 80s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 04:54 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,682,852 times
By Botev numbers

These are how many comfortable days there have been for me:
May: 2
June: 5
July: 9
Aug: 5

So far this year I've been comfy for 21 days! Lucky me. I'll toss in another 10 to round it to 31 (average of a month)

I'm comfy one month out of 12 for 2008

Old 08-14-2008, 04:57 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,682,852 times
Quote:
Here's the best thing about Seattle... if the clouds are killing you softly, it's really easy to get away from them. You do need to learn about the convergence zones and the rain shadow if you want to avoid the grey as much as possible. You can also always drive over the pass (usually in the winter) and get away from the grey for the weekend or up to the San Juans. You have options.[/url]
Ohhhhh yeah hold on while I get a baby sitter each weekend so I can go do something....the babysitter can take my son to his soccer/practice and games, or breast feed the baby at 4 am

Sorry, it'd 3 am and I'm cracking myself up

Old 08-14-2008, 08:52 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,075,946 times
To me this summer has been perfect, just the right mix of warm sunny days and a few cooler cloudy days.

I love the weather here!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,740,337 times
here's what I have observed while living in L.A., Alaska, Portland, OR, Boston and now Seattle....

people will complain about the weather no matter where you are. Yes, I have heard people gripe about the hot sunny weather in LA too.

"too much snow!"
"too much sun!"
"too much rain!"
"too much humidity!"

I remember in Boston hot muggy summers, biting cold winters, rainy falls and absent springs. Seattle may have gray clouds, but at least it doesn't have "brown" clouds like Boston or L.A.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM

7,975 posts, read 13,464,197 times
I'm sweltering right now, just came in from gardening, and I'm looking forward to some nice, cool rain.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM

576 posts, read 1,225,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm sweltering right now, just came in from gardening, and I'm looking forward to some nice, cool rain.
I'm not. We'll get more than enough of that in a couple months.

I prefer hot over cloudy/rainy/cold any day.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM

300 posts, read 772,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tada View Post
It varies so much throughout the year though that it can, and does completely screw with people. In most other places, the days do vary in length, but the percentage of the time it's sunny is pretty much the same, and the change in day length is not nearly as much as Seattle's.

And overall, it is far less sunny here than other places. Look at City-Data's chart for sunshine in Seattle. Even in the summer we get less sun than other places. So much less that even the days being longer here than in other places during the summer wouldn't make up for it.
Being a corporate drone, most of the day I'm in a building anyhow, so having nice evenings and weekends is what I look for. It could be gray all day until I leave the building and I wouldn't care, but that's just me. If you're not in a building most of the time, then it's probably going to be different for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Ohhhhh yeah hold on while I get a baby sitter each weekend so I can go do something....the babysitter can take my son to his soccer/practice and games, or breast feed the baby at 4 am

Sorry, it'd 3 am and I'm cracking myself up

I have a 16 month year old, and I know the issues involved. We put kiddo's little butt in the car seat and took off for sunnier skies more than once.

It's doable for some people, sure, not all (that's why I put the link to the rain shadow/convergence zone to help people find sunnier spots in the area), but I think that's pretty apparent from the post that there is an option if you can get out of town (which only the reader is going to know).

You CAN get away from the grey without having to fly somewhere far-flung. It's not like you're locked in a pit 10 months out of the year. If you can't handle gray, and you know you're not going to be able to get away easily, then think twice about the western cascades.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM

576 posts, read 1,225,491 times
Quote:
Being a corporate drone, most of the day I'm in a building anyhow, so having nice evenings and weekends is what I look for. It could be gray all day until I leave the building and I wouldn't care, but that's just me. If you're not in a building most of the time, then it's probably going to be different for you.
Being a college student, I only really have to be inside about 2-3 hours a day usually. So I want it to be sunnier any time, since I know I can get out and enjoy it.

Strangely enough, gray doesn't affect me as much in a place with no windows, like the CS labs. Also, I find nighttime way more tolerable than gray daytime.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,576,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
By Botev numbers

These are how many comfortable days there have been for me:
May: 2
June: 5
July: 9
Aug: 5

So far this year I've been comfy for 21 days! Lucky me. I'll toss in another 10 to round it to 31 (average of a month)

I'm comfy one month out of 12 for 2008
You're only comfy if it's in the 80's? Yikes. Are you serious, or are you just being whiny for the sake of complaining? I think most people would be comfy in temperatures lower than the 80's...at least 60's and 70's. Sucks for you that you're so picky. Sounds like you just made a bad decision to move to Seattle. I haven't read many of your previous posts, so forgive me if you've already answered this question, but did you not research the city at all before moving there? I'm still months from my move, and I know a lot about Seattle and it's climate. It's pretty easy to research things like that. If you knew you're not comfy in temps cooler than the 80's, why did you move to a place where it reaches the 80's only a handful of days each year?

55-85 is the most comfortable range for me, but after living in L.A. for 2 years and Phoenix for 5 years, It'll be nice to have cooler weather year-round. Bright, sunny, dry and hot every single day gets old after a while. I like the weather here in Phoenix most of the year (summer's a little too hot), but like any other place, it has it's cons. Even though Phoenix is cloud-free most days, it's not clear by any stretch. The only times Phoenix is actually clear (ie no gross brown haze above the metro area, blocking the mountains surrounding the city) are the 12-24 hours directly following a big rainfall. That happens about 5 times a year. The rest of the time, it's smog central here. Yuck. I think Seattle'll be a nice change, and I'm excited for 40's and 50's and 60's and 70's...and less smog. Yay!

Last edited by Politico; 08-14-2008 at 09:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area