Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,257,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I vote for importing 100 people of each of the following and setting them loose on our roads as "left lane enforcers"

1) Southern born and bred NASCAR drivers in sleeveless t-shirts.
2) Bavarian autobahn BMW drivers in lederhosen.
As long as we don't give them voting rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,333,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
I'm hopeful that if enough Californians move here, things might actually change. Sure, there may be different problems that stem from that, but one thing California got right is that their drivers usually have the courtesy to GTFOOTW
30 years of Californians invading hasn't made anything better, I doubt even more of them will improve anything (traffic or otherwise).

Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,096,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
I'm hopeful that if enough Californians move here, things might actually change. Sure, there may be different problems that stem from that, but one thing California got right is that their drivers usually have the courtesy to GTFOOTW
Hmmm: reeeeeallly?

I, too, will generalize then:

In the 1990s, in SF and LA, lot of aggressive driving noted by me on various mega-freeways. I lived in Bay Area. Obviously very crowded with high traffic volumes, then as now. I personally believe that as the volumes and wait-times to go anywhere increase, general driving aggression goes up. Can't prove it, just seems to follow from my observation of human behavior.

So, when I rode motorcycles for bulk of my non-work transportation needs in Bay Area, less often in Los Angeles metroplex, I needed to exit people ("GTFOOTW") on two-lane highways all the time. All. The. Time. People who wouldn't use the turnouts, that is. Most northern CA two-lane roads were pretty good about having turnouts, I must say. I'd wait, and if a turnout came and went more than twice (or even once), I exited "myself" from them by passing. Immediately. That is, taking the offense. Lather, rinse, repeat. Dozens of times, usually, on any given ride.

The best defense is actually a solid offense, "defensive driving" blue-sky notwithstanding *as long as* you're bringing a far bigger gun to the proverbial gunfight. I usually own/drive very fast, nimble vehicles .

Back to the point, I question if a Californian from a major metro would bring any additional courtesy to this area. I'd guess the opposite, another believer in Left Lane Entitlement®.

I am, btw, pretty good at left lane discipline, thinking "Golden Rule" and not seeing any purpose in camping on the left. That is to say, I would expect anyone to do to me what I do to them (pass me, one way or another, if I insisted on camping left).

Old 09-03-2016, 02:33 PM

545 posts, read 408,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
With the right lanes ending all the time in Seattle, I think cruising in the left lane has become incentivized with many over time. They don't want to hit a bottleneck and then have to rely on another driver's kindness to let them merge in because their lane is ending.
This is true and I will add, that there are many on-ramps that feed the freeway on the left. For example, the southbound onramp to I-5 at Mercer. I think many people just get on the freeway at the left lane and stay there, not ever thinking that they need to get over.

The left-lane campers are annoying to me, but so are the people who stay in the left lane forever doing 75mph and refuse to get over except to pass someone on the right. Then they get right back in the left lane and stay there. They're not passing, they just think that they are automatically the fastest vehicle on the road.

Not ever changing lanes = lazy, lazy driving.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:01 PM

278 posts, read 332,865 times
Seattle drivers are by far the safest and friendliest in the country, having lived in other major metros such as LA, Bay Area, Washington DC, and Houston which all have worse drivers.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,769,239 times
They may be safe and friendly but they are uninformed on freeway rules. You don't use the left lane unless you are passing, and when you do you move back over after the pass. Yes, I understand this rule goes out the window in heavy traffic, duh, but there are plenty of times where this rule is disobeyed.

The worst of the offenders are those who drive slowly in the left lane on purpose. These drivers exist in Seattle, not so much in the suburbs. They feel SO entitled they feel they can create their own traffic law. And they are obvious. Usually driving an older vehicle (Volvo or Bug), and they are at best, responsible for most of the road rage out there. State Patrol needs to focus on these folks!

Old 09-09-2016, 11:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,036,433 times
But you can use the far left lane if you're going fast, right? It's the "fast lane"? I really don't use it much anyway but do I have the wrong idea on this and should only use it for passing unless it's an HOV situation???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYhDSR9mGI&app=desktop

Old 09-09-2016, 12:16 PM

3,613 posts, read 2,878,570 times
I got flicked with the middle finger by a tailgater who did not think I was going fast enough on the left lane. I stayed there on purpose longer to **** the tailgater off, he passed on the right and was driving a Texas sized pickup. I am telling Puget Sound is anything bUT slow pace and nice,

Old 09-09-2016, 04:13 PM

8,158 posts, read 8,221,361 times
87112, this is part of the problem. Pass and get over, no matter what speed you are going.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:14 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,602,960 times
This is nonsense.

In lighter traffic when volume is vastly under the capacity of the road one may not use the left lane. But commuters around King county drive in heavy dense traffic that often requires using 100% of every lane they can.

Next point is that most accidents resulting from lane changing are due to impatient and often speeding drivers who feel they have the right to pass any car at any point under any circumstances.

Time after time these crashes are caused by a selfish driver that tries to force their way through. And very often the so called left lane driver is just someone taking a half mile to over take twenty cars without speeding.

The real crime is speeding, and aggressive drivers.

Yes left lane highway driving under ideal conditions is against the law, but it is completely legal to use it when roads are full and most of the time we see crashes is speeding in tight traffic, and aggressive lane changing (which is illegal in WA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area