Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 9,433 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Seattle area ASAP. We have three kids and a couple of dogs, and we all love the outside world - hiking, beaches, biking - love the outdoors! We were thinking we would love to build our own home, but that's not a requirement. The only real requirements now are good schools (our kids are too smart for my own good) and lots of space for the whole family and the dogs to enjoy some peace and quiet, yet still have some reasonable proximity to Redmond / Bellevue / Seattle and also SeaTac. I do not need a fancy home on a postage stamp property in Bellevue. I'd rather have a home from the 50's that needs some TLC, but has some killer views of Puget Sound and/or the mountains.

Please - I would appreciate any an all help to find a great community for my family to flourish. My husband and I have traveled throughout the area, but never with the lens of 'parents of school-age children.'

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
The main question is: what can you afford? Budget, please. We can't help until we know what you have to work with.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Depends on whether you ask me or my husband. But I think we would both agree that the $750k and under range would be preferred.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Herman View Post
Depends on whether you ask me or my husband. But I think we would both agree that the $750k and under range would be preferred.
You'll probably need more than that for 2 acres, or even 1 acre, unless you go out of town; maybe Issaquah, or up toward Mt Vernon a bit, or Duvall, or Marysville, but others who know the East Side (Redmond, etc.) will know better than I. I'm only suggesting you be flexible with your requirements. I understand you'd be ok with a fixer-upper, which is helpful.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Why near Seattle?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Why near Seattle?
And why 2 acres? I can relate to not wanting to be sandwiched inbetween houses, but 1/2 acre would get you plenty of breathing room and dog-run room, unless you're planning on having horses, or something.

OK, I took a quick look at listings in Duvall. Everything was around $400K for a standard city lot, but then I found this (see link). It's only 2 br. and looks like it might be a mobile home, I can't tell, but it's on over 2 acres. So with some luck, your dream might be doable. How many kids do you have? If this place is available for 250K and 2+ acres, for a bit more, you should be able to find something with 3 br, at least. I don't know about the schools out there.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M28475-37486

Here's a listing in Marysville, on a bit over 1/4 acre. This is just to give you a feel for the market: how much you get for how much money. With luck, you could find something like this 3-br. place w/basement on 1/2 acre, or possibly closer to 1 acre, on your budget.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-17440#photo24

Here's 2 acres in Marysville, no house, for $300K http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M18288-97528

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-30-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You'll probably need more than that for 2 acres, or even 1 acre, unless you go out of town; maybe Issaquah, or up toward Mt Vernon a bit, or Duvall, or Marysville, but others who know the East Side (Redmond, etc.) will know better than I. I'm only suggesting you be flexible with your requirements. I understand you'd be ok with a fixer-upper, which is helpful.
There's nothing in Seattle, Bellevue, or Redmond currently for sale for 750k or less with a house and a couple of acres, but some in duvall, and lots in Renton/Kent/Auburn/Maple Valley/Covington, and even a fixer near me in the 98178 zip code in the forgotten semi rural area between Skyway and Renton.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 PM

the acreage is my husband's desire. he wants to have room for our boys to set up a bow and arrow range, and things like that. he doesn't want to see his neighbors and grew up on top of a mountain in PA on 20+ acres himself.

i'm a bit more practical. one or two acres would be ideal for me. my housing requirements are basic. i currently live in a 1/3 to 1/2 acre zone in Greenwich, CT, an awful town full of rich *******s and wanna-be rich *******s. the environment is so toxic that we need to get our kids out before any permanent damage is sustained.

for work, though, while we both plan on working from home (i have my own company), i will need access to a decent airport, like SeaTac, and/or business space on demand in areas in and around seattle, bellevue and redmond.

So, I love the entire area and would be happy pretty much anywhere. I'd love to stay within about a 40 mile radius of the airport. And our kids were in gifted programs here, so my strong preference would be to ensure we are in a good quality school district (seems like washington state in general has LOTS of options). and lastly, my guys are nationally-ranked scholastic chess players. so *reasonable* proximity to the seattle metro area greatly broadens the tournament options for my boys.

whew!

Old 08-30-2016, 08:47 PM

456 posts, read 774,581 times
Real estate web sites are your friend. Add some filters for 2+ acres, max 750k and start typing in cities (just skip anything central) I was surprised to find that there are some places that actually fit that much of your criteria either on the NE edge or South edges of the metro region. I have no idea what your definition of "reasonable proximity" or good schools is though.

Since I see your above post - how long do you want your drive to that business space or airport to be? 40 miles from the airport can be an eternity away in drive time. Generally, the more competitive chess programs are going to be in the central cities especially if you're looking for a peer group not on the fringe and the same goes for the most well thought of gifted and talented programs but there are options around everywhere for highly capable programs since they are state mandated.

Last edited by benleis; 08-30-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 PM

I love the term "SEMI-RURAL" as I think that's where I would be happiest. We are squarely in the bedroom communities of New York City, and the wealthiest (read "most obnoxious") one at that. One where my kids regularly have fights over whose friend's private plane is better. I would be delighted if none of my kids knew of such things until they were at least in college. (Well, that's when I found out.) But it certainly shouldn't happen at ages 8 and 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area