U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:41 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,076,591 times

Advertisements

Since the bus route from the northgate mall to walingford was cut it has made it difficult to get to wallingford by bus. In order to get to Wallinford by bus i take the 67 and then switch to the 44 bus. Im starting to notice that im waiting longer and longer for the bus every day than i did a year ago.

Unfortunately uber and lyft are too expensive to use every day.

Does Seattle have a bus riders union?? King county metro also needs to improve the connection to Snohomish county to places like lynwood and edmonds. Im often taki ng the 41 bus to westlake station and then picking up a sound transit bus near the westlake station to go to Snohomish county which is in the wrong direction.

I see Seattles future as a city without car owners. King county transit and sound transit need to fix the transit system with more buses and more routes that make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:47 PM

Uber and lyft used to be cheap when these car services just came out. Now these rideshare services always have triple rate surchage rates which is a scam.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:54 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,880,114 times
The very first sentence to this article holds the answer to why this is happening:

"A shortage of bus drivers has prompted a few cancellations of some King County Metro bus trips. And It's not just Metro in need of qualified drivers; local school districts are seeing a shortage, too."

King County Metro, school districts hiring more bus drivers | KOMO

I can think of a few reasons why this is happening, but it boils down to 3% unemployment means that the pool of available workers is shrinking. King County Metro will have to compete to fill their ranks, no doubt about it.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
The very first sentence to this article holds the answer to why this is happening:

"A shortage of bus drivers has prompted a few cancellations of some King County Metro bus trips. And It's not just Metro in need of qualified drivers; local school districts are seeing a shortage, too."

King County Metro, school districts hiring more bus drivers | KOMO

I can think of a few reasons why this is happening, but it boils down to 3% unemployment means that the pool of available workers is shrinking. King County Metro will have to compete to fill their ranks, no doubt about it.
Hopefully King county will be able to hire more buss drivers and replace the cancelled routes

Old 09-12-2016, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Yes, they have an extreme shortage of drivers and it takes a long time to train them. While I have only had one morning trip cancelled lately, we have a different driver every morning. In the afternoon commute, I have not missed more than a couple but every day I get alerts for 3-4 of the buses I might be taking getting cancelled. Some coworkers that take the bus from within Seattle often find it going right by because it's full. I have been driving in on Fridays to get home earlier, and leave at 2:30 so the traffic isn't too bad. Having a bus route skipped and being late getting home on Friday would be too much.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:48 AM

450 posts, read 372,994 times
some of those moving here looking for jobs may do well looking into Metro bus jobs. they can pay 6 figures for an experienced driver. Gotta pass the drug screening test though.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 738,532 times
I saw some ppl handing out flyers who said they organized a rider's union. Don't have their info. Perhaps try google?

Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 PM

9,627 posts, read 23,818,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
some of those moving here looking for jobs may do well looking into Metro bus jobs. they can pay 6 figures for an experienced driver. Gotta pass the drug screening test though.
They only pay six figures for an experienced driver if that driver works many hours of overtime. So yes, it can be done if you're willing to not have a life.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:42 PM

6,626 posts, read 5,042,166 times
I wish they hadn't cut the 16 (or the 6 some years back), which served central Wallingford, but it was part of a wholesale revision of northend bus routes intended to funnel riders to the UW light rail station. They're also emphasizing frequent service over coverage, which is what got the 16 nixed. Unfortunately, in the later afternoon, the 44 is prone to stacking, due to congestion on N. 45th St and in the U District, which means three could arrive within five minutes (if not nose-to-tail), then none for the next half hour.

One option might be to catch the 40 to Aurora, then the E-Line to N. 46th St, and walk the five or six blocks to central Wallingford. The E-Line should be more consistent than the 44, at least going south in the later afternoon.

Ultimately, the only thing that'll fix the 45th Street corridor is a subway, which will be a long time coming.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:13 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,695,676 times
Seattle is an excellent cit, but public transit in Seattle is sub-par compared to a lot of other US cities-others have made a similar observation Rogue Columnist: In Seattle, another chance to shoot ourselves in the foot and reload? The mass-transit system Seattle might have had | Jon Talton | The Seattle Times . I ride the buses in King County sometimes and they are frequently late, overcrowded and on occasion do not come at all. Maybe the next year they will add/change their bus schedules so service to Wallingford and elsewhere improves.

I do not know if this is of any assistance but the 26 bus goes to Wallingford from the Northgate transit center as well

Route 26 - King County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or