Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM

545 posts, read 408,063 times

Advertisements

Columbia City is a formerly "transitional" neighborhood, now it may be full-on trendy. But there are shops and restaurants and it is on the light rail line. Just south of there is Hillman City which is definitely up-and-coming.

If I were new to Seattle, I'd definitely look in the South End. More bang for your $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:37 AM

27 posts, read 28,449 times
So I had a chance to visit Seattle for a few days. I didn't get to hit every neighborhood, but I took lots of uber pools to kind of ride through where I could. I loved Capitol Hill, unfortunately the apartment floor plan I need likely won't be available when I move.

What do you think about living just north of Century Field (I guess that neighborhood's called SoDo or maybe that's further south?)? The architecture is stunning, but I imagine it might be a nightmare to live so close to a stadium that hosts a team with such die hard fans?

Another option I had originally crossed off my list was Belltown. I really liked the layout of the neighborhood. Someone told me there is a definite "type" that lives in Belltown but he wasn't sure what that type is. I'm sure he was just trying to be polite. Anyone have some insight as to the "type" that lives in Belltown?

I also really liked Fremont but I want to be closer to downtown.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:26 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,087,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGloria View Post
So I had a chance to visit Seattle for a few days. I didn't get to hit every neighborhood, but I took lots of uber pools to kind of ride through where I could. I loved Capitol Hill, unfortunately the apartment floor plan I need likely won't be available when I move.

What do you think about living just north of Century Field (I guess that neighborhood's called SoDo or maybe that's further south?)? The architecture is stunning, but I imagine it might be a nightmare to live so close to a stadium that hosts a team with such die hard fans?

Another option I had originally crossed off my list was Belltown. I really liked the layout of the neighborhood. Someone told me there is a definite "type" that lives in Belltown but he wasn't sure what that type is. I'm sure he was just trying to be polite. Anyone have some insight as to the "type" that lives in Belltown?

Buses run quite often from Fremont Ave. N and 34th St junction (adjacent to Blu C Sushi, across the street from Dusty Strings) south across the bridge and down Westlake into Seattle-proper. I think it's like 13 minutes to Westlake Plaza from there, I've taken one of those busses to downtown maybe a dozen times as it's a natural terminus to part of the Burke-Gilman Trail.

Kind of depends what you're after, I'm not a city sort of person but it's great you've found some intriguing neighborhoods at-least. Per the map, the area north of Centurylink Field is Pioneer Square and/or SoDo "I think." Never heard of anyone actually living there, since it's overrun with bums and vagrants to the east (mostly), but at the same time the vast majority are pretty harmless IME. Most exciting thing for me would be close proximity to King Street Station for busses and light rail.

It's pretty festive during Mariner and Seahawks games, but no more so than any other sports arena kind of area and I've prowled the old Tiger Stadium neighborhood as a kid and young adult (long time ago), Wrigley Field in Chicago (ditto), and the Panthers' stadium in Charlotte NC more than a few times and never had *any* trouble. I don't look for it, it seldom finds me.

Not sure what the "type" is in Belltown, either. Might want to look up C-D's own demographics on income, age distribution, etc. for more on that. More data elsewhere, though if I mention Mods will edit it out

Old 11-02-2016, 03:21 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,293,909 times
Quote:

On Belltown, it is a "happening" neighborhood, with lots of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. So, I'd say the "type" could be anyone who'd be more likely to avail themselves of those options. Urbanite vs suburbanite. It is also right next to Downtown, so with easy and handy access to a wide-range of jobs.

It sounds like you want a higher-density close-in urban life-style. For that Capitol Hill, Belltown, and Sodo/Pioneer Square would do nicely, along with Downtown's "West Ridge", Lower Queen Anne (Uptown), Denny Triangle, First Hill, South Lake Union, Cascade/Fairview, Eastlake, Westlake, and the U District. You might also look at Downtown Bellevue. Much further north and you're getting into increasingly "residential" areas.

As to further south, North Beacon Hill or Mount Baker are closer in than Fremont, neither of which, however, are as "urban" as I suspect you would like. Personally, I'd also look at the International District, Little Saigon, Atlantic/Jackson St., Yesler Terrace, Cherry Hill (Second Hill), Madison Valley, etc.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM

332 posts, read 396,689 times
Quote:

Pioneer Square is north of CLink. That area is getting better but you should be aware many homeless people live in that area in shelters and hang at soup kitchens and I would be concerned about crime.

I am not sure what type of person is in Belltown, probably tech oriented millenials who work at Amazon would be my guess.

Too bad you didn't think Capitol Hill would work, that is the place to be. What's the story morning gloria?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,468,430 times
Quote:

If you have any illusions about quiet married with urbanity, do yourself a favor and cross both Belltown AND Pioneer Square off your list.

Something that a lot of people don't take into consideration: urban and quiet do not go together. Living within spitting distance of TWO major sports arenas (which have concerts from time to time, no less) means that you need to do a proper assessment of your expectations of quiet.

Just to give you some understanding, soccer plays in the stadium during the spring and fall. Football plays in the fall and winter. Baseball plays in Safeco field through the spring and summer. And let's not forget that both stadiums have various events, so it isn't uncommon to expect an event every couple of weeks or so.

Another thing: there is a sizable homeless population in both Pioneer Square AND Belltown. Due to the various social/correctional/drug facilities (including but not limited to the King County Jail, the Seattle City Jail, various homeless shelters, a CSO, and too many government agencies to list), you can expect the homeless populations to be constant in both neighborhoods. The vast majority of the folks are not violent, but some are troubled and -- speaking frankly -- I think people should be aware of that before they move to either neighborhood.

You can't beat the transit access, though, so there's that.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 AM

27 posts, read 28,449 times
Amaiunmei- I don't want quiet. I live in DC now. I want a busy, walkable neighborhood. I just want one that's not commercialized and sterile if that makes sense? I want to make sure it still has an identity. As far as the homeless goes, well I've opened my door to urine, condoms, and sleeping bodies on my front porch. Oh and I had that wonderful run in with someone on bath salts. And I live in a nice neighborhood! Our crime is very different than your crime. I will take a drunk bum over that any day. Thanks for the warning though! I agree that it's important for people to know as I didn't actually see much homeless activity the brief time I was there during the morning. I did see one gentleman though who was very pleasant.

Bluehorseshoe- I have a lot of camping gear, so I need a walk-in closet. I also want a hardwood floors, a gym and lots of kitchen space. I'm much more particular than I originally thought! I'm a tech oriented millennial, so maybe he was just trying to not insult me. Haha

CrazyDonkey- Thanks I'll look at apartments in those areas as well!

Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,062,119 times
Quote:
Amaiunmei- I don't want quiet. I live in DC now. I want a busy, walkable neighborhood. I just want one that's not commercialized and sterile if that makes sense? I want to make sure it still has an identity. As far as the homeless goes, well I've opened my door to urine, condoms, and sleeping bodies on my front porch. Oh and I had that wonderful run in with someone on bath salts. And I live in a nice neighborhood! Our crime is very different than your crime. I will take a drunk bum over that any day. Thanks for the warning though! I agree that it's important for people to know as I didn't actually see much homeless activity the brief time I was there during the morning. I did see one gentleman though who was very pleasant.
Nomenclature: Once you cross the train tracks heading east you're in the Chinatown/International District, west and you're in Pioneer Square. The term "SoDo" originally meant "south of the Kingdome," the now-demolished covered stadium now largely occupied by CenturyLink Field.

My take on Belltown, Pioneer Square/International District.

Belltown, along with the Denny Regrade just to the east, was quicker to develop during the 80s and 90s boom. There was a lot of residential development, much of it (especially along First Ave. and Western Ave.) for high-end condos walkable from the Pike Place market. The demographics one flight up were quite different from those on the street - lots of empty nesters in the view condos, the cocktail and party crowd in the restaurants and bars below. Belltown was the "hot" restaurant and bar neighborhood for 10 years; now it's less so as Pike/Pine, Ballard and Georgetown have muscled in on the territory. Subsequent development has favored more rental and apartment uses, but there's still a sizeable number of expensive condos in the area, e,g. 2033 2nd Ave APT 911, Seattle, WA 98121 | MLS #924529 | Zillow

Pioneer Square and the "ID" have been rather depressed until quite recently. Part of it had to do with the stadiums and the vast stretches of landscape given over to parking garages, plus the mayhem of construction along the waterfront (Alaska Way viaduct demo and tunnel, seawall replacement, etc.) And part of it certainly was a perception of lots of street people and petty crime, although the numbers have never confirmed the wrap the area got.

But starting with Uwajimaya Village (disclaimer, which I helped design) and accelerating in the past decade, the area is starting to gentrify big time. It's just too convenient to transport, employment, the freeways, the waterfront, Pioneer Square and downtown activities, not to do so. If I were in your shoes (and I'm not, by decades) I'd definitely look at the ID as a place to live. Yeah, it's noisy and there's street life. Hell, it's the core of a big American city; what did you expect? But like some areas in outlying parts of town, it's a cultural melting pot - lots of Asians, but an increasing number of non-Asians moving in.

In fact, speaking of Uwajimaya Village, you might even look at apartments there. Uwajimaya Village Apartments in International District - 521 S. Weller | EquityApartments.com . It's a very secure building with garage parking and storage; you've got a supermarket on the ground floor (and a VERY cool one, itself a tourist target) as well as a giant bookstore, umpteen shops, restaurants (both in the building and surrounding) and cool community life. You're steps from the bus tunnel and light rail station, a five or ten minute walk from Pioneer Square or the central waterfront, and the prices aren't terrible given the location. (I am in love with the Moriguchi family who own Uwajimaya, fair warning.)

Anyway, a note about homeless and street people in Seattle. People here rant about it nonstop, but it's no different in Seattle than in most other major US cities. There's a nexus of mental illness, substance abuse, bad luck and bad behavior that happens all over the country. It's maybe more noticeable in Seattle because of the city's (maybe exaggerated) reputation as a clean, can-do place. But if you've lived in DC you'll probably find it to be no big deal in Seattle; just use your street smarts.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:49 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,869,483 times
Quote:

Did you look at Columbia City - a quick ride into downtown without all bustle.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:23 PM

332 posts, read 396,689 times
@MorningGloria did you look at the Central District? That neighborhood is rapidly changing in a good way especially around Union and 23rd Avenue. You are practically in Capitol Hill and it will most likely be much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area