U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:57 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,995,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Scorpion, we also have a thriving Ethiopian and Eritrean community, the third biggest in the US. Sweet people, very tasty food and coffee (did you know that coffee was first discovered in Ethiopia?) at one of their many restaurants. The epicenter of those is MLK and Cherry but certainly present in Columbia City/Mount Baker area too.
I like Ethiopian food and coffee, but aren't Ethiopians and Eritreans like everybody else? Some nice, some sweet, some angry? Or are they all sweet? Would you make a blanket statement about other ethnicities? Are Mexicans lazy? Are Jews cheap? Are Nigerians thieving? Are Norwegians stupid?
I haven't been to Ethiopia, so maybe you know that all Ethiopians and Eritreans are sweet. I suppose that robberies and murders committed in Addis can be done by sweet people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 PM

7,125 posts, read 5,831,785 times
You are funny Ira. You are amped, brother, might want to switch to decaf today! My answer is that just about every Ethiopian and Eritrean I've met in Seattle (and my month in Ethiopia) has been pretty friendly. I'm rather friendly too, maybe that has something to do with it

Old 10-20-2016, 02:33 PM

388 posts, read 320,005 times
So update, I got the Seattle job! Still negotiating salary though. They need to match my level now or I won't accept the position.

However, we are seriously looking at various areas now. It seems like Bellevue is cheaper than Seattle itself. Unfortunately we weren't able to explore that area very much but I understand it is low key and somewhat "vanilla". However, it only looks like it's approximately 30 minutes via bus to 1st & Madison or 5th & Yesler (office is just opening and it will be at one of these two locations).

We are still looking at housing. Would like to be at $2000 (yes I know I said $3000 max earlier but would like to keep it on the lower end and save for a downpayment later on) but could go as much as $2500.

I think we are looking at Columbia City, Mt. Baker, Bellevue, and Madrona. Are there other areas we should be looking that are in 30 minutes of DT?

Thanks!

Old 10-20-2016, 04:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 849,695 times
Bellevue's quite nice, but I wouldn't say it's cheaper than Seattle. Home prices tend to be higher though since Seattle's are escalating ever higher, maybe that's moot.

Burien's maybe a good fit. It's immediately to the SE of Seattle, not far from the airport. They have a park and ride with many many bus routes going through there. There's great access to the airport area (SeaTac) like I said, West Seattle and freeways. They've really been opening up a lot of cute restaurants and shops there lately.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:15 PM

388 posts, read 320,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
Bellevue's quite nice, but I wouldn't say it's cheaper than Seattle. Home prices tend to be higher though since Seattle's are escalating ever higher, maybe that's moot.

Burien's maybe a good fit. It's immediately to the SE of Seattle, not far from the airport. They have a park and ride with many many bus routes going through there. There's great access to the airport area (SeaTac) like I said, West Seattle and freeways. They've really been opening up a lot of cute restaurants and shops there lately.

Burien huh? Is it still a 30 minute bus ride to DT? I'm not sure if we made it that far south when we visited. Furthest south was from the top of West Seattle down to Thistle Rd. Not sure where that is in relation to Burien but it felt further south.

Any other suggestions?

Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 PM

27 posts, read 30,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
So update, I got the Seattle job! Still negotiating salary though. They need to match my level now or I won't accept the position.

However, we are seriously looking at various areas now. It seems like Bellevue is cheaper than Seattle itself. Unfortunately we weren't able to explore that area very much but I understand it is low key and somewhat "vanilla". However, it only looks like it's approximately 30 minutes via bus to 1st & Madison or 5th & Yesler (office is just opening and it will be at one of these two locations).

We are still looking at housing. Would like to be at $2000 (yes I know I said $3000 max earlier but would like to keep it on the lower end and save for a downpayment later on) but could go as much as $2500.

I think we are looking at Columbia City, Mt. Baker, Bellevue, and Madrona. Are there other areas we should be looking that are in 30 minutes of DT?

Thanks!

Congrats! I have accepted my job offer and we are looking into CC as our top choice. Going through the rigorous relocation process now..

Old 10-20-2016, 07:08 PM

7,462 posts, read 6,166,367 times
Look at Northeast Seattle: Ravenna, Bryant, Sand Point, Maple Leaf, and further north. For instance:

3415 NE 57th St, Seattle, WA 98105 | Zillow

5730 NE 62nd St, Seattle, WA 98115 | Zillow

7032 24th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115 | Zillow

9315 42nd Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98115 | Zillow

2712 NE Blakeley St, Seattle, WA 98105 | Zillow

5540 27th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98105 | Zillow

Pet Friendly Apartments & Houses For Rent - 69 Rentals | Zillow

Close to:

* UW Light Rail Station (4 minutes to Capitol Hill and 8 minutes to Downtown).

* Burke-Gilman Bike Trail (to UW, Light Rail, Gasworks Park).

* Magnuson Park (with a great off-leash area, including swimming in Lake Washington), Matthews Beach, Ravenna/Cowen Park, Green Lake.

* Children's Hospital and UW Medical Center - Swedish and Virginia Mason within walking distance of Capitol Hill Light Rail Station; and streetcar ride to Harborview.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 AM

8,116 posts, read 3,515,898 times
So what's wrong with CentralDistrict /Rainier Valley/Beacon Hill?
Easy to get to Yesler& 5th, Hospitals, CapHill Street car
Our son lives off Yesler. We will be visiting him shortly, arriving by Amtrak and will either walk, streetcar, bus, or cab to his place + a short walk (Depending on weather) .

ColumbiaCity is nice. You will be trading time for expenses.
I like being close to the top of Capitol Hill, I can bike N-S on 19th or up/down Yesler/Jackson or alternates.

congrats and GL.
The stuff that is falling from the sky is called, 'rain' or 'drizzle' The difference is whether one needs a hat.

Last edited by leastprime; 10-21-2016 at 12:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 01:52 AM

7,462 posts, read 6,166,367 times
Nothing wrong with those areas. Here's one that checks most of the OP's boxes:

203 31st Ave, Seattle, WA 98122 | Zillow

I recommended Northeast Seattle because of easy access to Magnuson Park's off-leash area - something Capitol Hill, the Central District, etc., don't have. North Seattle has a half-dozen off-leash areas, while South Seattle has one.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:13 AM
fnh

2,737 posts, read 3,222,636 times
We are in the Squire Park neighborhood of the Central District and it's just over a mile to Blue Dog Pond dog park. Usually though we are content to walk the dog closer to home. Leafy streets with sidewalks, several parks big and small.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area