Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:15 PM

62 posts, read 62,171 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Madison Valley/Madison Park, residential but very close to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 04:28 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
We are in the Squire Park neighborhood of the Central District and it's just over a mile to Blue Dog Pond dog park. Usually though we are content to walk the dog closer to home. Leafy streets with sidewalks, several parks big and small.
I saw that, but when I clicked on it in Google Maps, it brought up a doggy day care. How big is it, does it get crowded? There is also an off-leash area at Jose Rizal Park, at the northend of Beacon Hill, which I doubt is very big. So, that's three for South Seattle, versus a half-dozen or so for North Seattle.

Generally, I think that the off-leash area at Magnuson Park is considered the best - it also features a doggie beach for swimming in Lake Washington.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:12 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Hmm, curious that Google Maps pulls up Blue Dog Pond as a doggy day care for you. It's definitely an off-leash dog park. Our neighbor's daughter regularly brings her dog-sitting charges there and my son has accompanied her on occasion. Decent size, not too crowded, but I have no idea how it compares to other dog parks in Seattle. (Safe to assume Magnuson is bigger and better.) As I said above, we are content to walk the dog around the neighborhood near our home as we have leafy residential streets and several parks nearby - Pratt, Blanche Lavizzo, Wisteria, Spruce Mini, and Leschi/Frink parks among others. Many people have dogs in the CD.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Blue Dog is a small dog park, Jose Rizal on Beacon Hill is much larger. Blue Dog is essentially a drainage basin. It's fine for what it is, but at Jose Rizal it's large enough to take a walk in. When I lived in the CD, the dog and I would walk through the woods at Frink/Leschi park almost every day. Magnuson is the largest in Seattle, but it sure gets mobbed. Genessee Park is the other one in South Seattle, and SW Seattle has Westcrest, which is also pretty big.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:03 AM

400 posts, read 449,399 times
Alright I have an exact address of work. 700 Stewart St. in Seattle. I don't want to commute more than 35 minutes one way via public transportation. My wife wants to be closer to the hospital areas so we have eliminated West Seattle

Columbia City is ok by me but my wife is not sold on it. Furthest north looks to be the Ravenna/Ballard line and some part of Bellevue look like they could work. Aside from the neighborhoods already suggested, is there any other areas we should really focus on?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
700 Stewart St. is walking distance from the Westlake Light Rail Station. Extra bus ride or walk (uphill) would be required to get to Swedish, Virginia Mason, or Harborview via transit from Columbia City. Car commute to the hospitals could be possible if not during worst peak traffic times.

Magnolia could be a possibility.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:46 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Alright I have an exact address of work. 700 Stewart St. in Seattle. I don't want to commute more than 35 minutes one way via public transportation. My wife wants to be closer to the hospital areas so we have eliminated West Seattle

Columbia City is ok by me but my wife is not sold on it. Furthest north looks to be the Ravenna/Ballard line and some part of Bellevue look like they could work. Aside from the neighborhoods already suggested, is there any other areas we should really focus on?

Thanks!
When you say 35 minute commute - do you mean 'walk out my door, be at my work ready to go' in 35 minutes or catch transport and get off transport in 35 minutes - you can spend 10 to 15 minutes waiting for a bus some times? In either case, I'd eliminate Bellevue - thinking minimum 50- 60 minutes from there on a good day.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
When you say 35 minute commute - do you mean 'walk out my door, be at my work ready to go' in 35 minutes or catch transport and get off transport in 35 minutes - you can spend 10 to 15 minutes waiting for a bus some times? In either case, I'd eliminate Bellevue - thinking minimum 50- 60 minutes from there on a good day.

Yeah 35 minutes door to door. My commute now is about 45 and I'm hoping to cut it to 35. So Bellevue is a no go huh? I checked Google maps and it showed some places at 35 but then again I'm trusting Google maps.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:23 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Yeah 35 minutes door to door. My commute now is about 45 and I'm hoping to cut it to 35. So Bellevue is a no go huh? I checked Google maps and it showed some places at 35 but then again I'm trusting Google maps.
No way 35 minutes unless your house is right at a bus stop (no park and rides involved) that takes you to a bus stop right in front of work. I live 5 miles from work and drive to work - it's a 20-25 minute commute door to door (taking into account parking and walking).

Old 11-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
No way 35 minutes unless your house is right at a bus stop (no park and rides involved) that takes you to a bus stop right in front of work. I live 5 miles from work and drive to work - it's a 20-25 minute commute door to door (taking into account parking and walking).

I take it you live in Bellevue and commute into the City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area