Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:42 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times

Advertisements

On my trip to Seattle and Portland in fall 2012, I was delighted and surprised to find Nanaimo bars at major supermarket bakeries. I never had a chance to check if local mom and pop bakeries made them, but I do miss them living in Boston.

My mom is from Quebec province, so she and her sisters made them and included them on their homemade cookies tray. I'd grab a Nanaimo bar over a cookie every time!

It appears the first official recipe was submitted in the 1950s, so my mother never enjoyed them in Quebec province as a girl in the 1920s and 1930s. But, maybe they really do date back unofficially to the early 1900s, at least in the British Columbia city of Nanaimo? My research mentioned it's the third largest city in B C. Worth a visit?

I like the traditional variety with the light yellow filling, though I've seen light green mint and other flavors. I assume nuts are generally not part of the recipe? I saw a small bakery in the Toronto, Ontario, subway system which had them, back 20 years sgo.

I saw them off and on a few years ago at a local supermarket dessert case in Boston, but never at their less upscale stores in the chain. The manager told me a lady buys them all up when they're ordered.

My research says it's the state of Washington's favorite dessert?

Can you find them in most bakeries, bake sales and even sporting events? Also in Oregon and eastern Washington? I saw them at Fred Meyer and QFC, and maybe Safeway.

I love looking at photos of them on the internet. So pathetic...but I haven't had one since 2012!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 07:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have been here in WA for 23 years and we go to Canada at least 2-3 times a year, and I have never heard of them. So, in my opinion, the answer would be no. Based on my own experience, I would say that Chocolate and Raspberries are the most popular dessert ingredients here, and lately, the most popular based on stores always being low or out of them, is the It's-It ice cream/cookie sandwich. Though they are from San Francisco, many of us are from the Bay Area and grew up with them. Doing a little research, I see that Starbucks sells the Nanaimo bars, that may be why they are popular, but I prefer good coffee so haven't been there lately to see them.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have been here in WA for 23 years and we go to Canada at least 2-3 times a year, and I have never heard of them. So, in my opinion, the answer would be no. Based on my own experience, I would say that Chocolate and Raspberries are the most popular dessert ingredients here, and lately, the most popular based on stores always being low or out of them, is the It's-It ice cream/cookie sandwich. Though they are from San Francisco, many of us are from the Bay Area and grew up with them. Doing a little research, I see that Starbucks sells the Nanaimo bars, that may be why they are popular, but I prefer good coffee so haven't been there lately to see them.
Wow... Starbucks sells them!? Well, at least in your area. Our Starbucks has the same tired select of some pastries, like the Michigan Cherry Oats bar which I saw in Starbucks Pioneer Square in Portland in 2012 when I also discovered them in Boston.

So I guess some products are national and some Starbucks items are local

Oh yes, I do recall the "It's it" ice cream novelty on my last Bay Area trip over 15 years ago. I think I found them at 7-11. Loved them! Another item we don't have in the Northeast; it's nice that there are still local and regional treats. I had totally forgotten about them! Thanks for the memory.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Can you find them in most bakeries, bake sales and even sporting events? Also in Oregon and eastern Washington? I saw them at Fred Meyer and QFC, and maybe Safeway.

I love looking at photos of them on the internet. So pathetic...but I haven't had one since 2012!
I don't recall seeing them around where I'm at in the north end of the Puget Sound. But, honestly, they are not that difficult to make. The recipe that I have used does call for almonds, but I usually skip those.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:22 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
I'm trying to think back to last month when I brought a bunch of treats from PCC (Puget Consumer Coop) home to a couple of birthday boys.. I know one of them was a bar and in general terms it had the same sort of alternating black white, black white layers. What I can't remember is if it was a cream cheese filling or butter cream?... seems to me that the question is integral to the matter of discerning a Nanaimo bar from a simple cheesecake bar...

In any case: I've seen these around.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Aldrich's in Port Townsend sells them, and they are very good indeed. Theirs have ganache on top, fluffy yellow vanilla in the middle, and a coconut-graham bottom.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
On my trip to Seattle and Portland in fall 2012, I was delighted and surprised to find Nanaimo bars at major supermarket bakeries. I never had a chance to check if local mom and pop bakeries made them, but I do miss them living in Boston.
My mom is from Quebec province, so she and her sisters made them and included them on their homemade cookies tray. I'd grab a Nanaimo bar over a cookie every time!
It appears the first official recipe was submitted in the 1950s, so my mother never enjoyed them in Quebec province as a girl in the 1920s and 1930s. But, maybe they really do date back unofficially to the early 1900s, at least in the British Columbia city of Nanaimo? My research mentioned it's the third largest city in B C. Worth a visit?
I like the traditional variety with the light yellow filling, though I've seen light green mint and other flavors. I assume nuts are generally not part of the recipe? I saw a small bakery in the Toronto, Ontario, subway system which had them, back 20 years sgo.
I saw them off and on a few years ago at a local supermarket dessert case in Boston, but never at their less upscale stores in the chain. The manager told me a lady buys them all up when they're ordered.
My research says it's the state of Washington's favorite dessert?
Definitely worth a visit, but as part of a larger area, namely Vancouver Island.
Start with Victoria, then drive up the Malahat to Nanaimo, with stops all along the way.
It's gorgeous!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't like Starbucks coffee either, but Nanaimo bars are really good. But I wonder: Can you actually find them in Nanaimo? Can you find English muffins in England?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 PM

811 posts, read 1,060,672 times
we have bought them in Kirkland on a regular basis. They are an awesome treat.

Central Oregon does not seem to have them though. :-(

Old 11-08-2016, 12:00 PM

226 posts, read 302,902 times
You can get them at Paradise Creek Brewery in Pullman, WA. The head chef used to own Swilly's, but that closed down and the menu was transferred to PCB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area