Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 AM

115 posts, read 139,311 times

Advertisements

Can a single 23 year old male live off of a starting salary of 40,000-45,000 in Seattle? If so, what kind of living arrangements could he afford? What are some recommended neighborhoods that would be affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
hope so, I'm a single male, leaving this Friday to move up there for a job that pays under 35k/year.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 AM

128 posts, read 147,773 times
For OP, Seattle is a big area, and some neighborhoods will be cheaper than others. If you are talking about your own apartment within the city of Seattle, probably not. However you may be able to find room share (e.g. renting a bedroom in a house that is shared with others) in a house around the UW area for about $800-$1000 a month (going to vary greatly depending on the quality of the bedroom and what is shared). It's all about budgeting to make it on that income.

As for VirtualErik, 35k (I'm assuming that is net income) is going to be real tough, but again, budget and stick to it as if your life depends on it.

On that income, I would NOT recommend a car. Insurance/gas/parking is going to eat you alive on that income. Get an ORCA card and buy a monthly pass to get around.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
For OP, Seattle is a big area, and some neighborhoods will be cheaper than others. If you are talking about your own apartment within the city of Seattle, probably not. However you may be able to find room share (e.g. renting a bedroom in a house that is shared with others) in a house around the UW area for about $800-$1000 a month (going to vary greatly depending on the quality of the bedroom and what is shared). It's all about budgeting to make it on that income.

As for VirtualErik, 35k (I'm assuming that is net income) is going to be real tough, but again, budget and stick to it as if your life depends on it.

On that income, I would NOT recommend a car. Insurance/gas/parking is going to eat you alive on that income. Get an ORCA card and buy a monthly pass to get around.

Good luck!
I signed a lease for a 1 bedroom in Kent, small but works for just me for just over $900, I have paid off all my debts, I have a car but no car payment, I also have an orca card already, I'll be working at SeaTac.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 28,562 times
Assuming around 900 per month for housing (also assuming youre making 45k and putting 1/3 of your income towards housing) I personally did not find anything in that price range when I was looking for housing in Seattle proper. Granted I was looking in the 2200k range and may have missed it. I did however see two bedroom and one bedroom with den options for about twice that in nice areas. Perhaps you can find a roommate willing to pay a little bit more for the master bedroom?

Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The two posters could afford an apodment, if they can find an opening in any (see: Capitol Hill and University District). That is something like a dormitory arrangement where separate bedrooms each with private bath are arranged around shared kitchen facilities and a common room. Otherwise, Erik is probably facing renting a room in a shared household.

For the OP, there are 1-br apts. in the north end of town, around Northgate (convenient transit center nearby for commuting downtown or to University), or in the 'burbs immediately north of town (good public transit there, for commuters). The OP would have around $1250/mo. for rent, if sticking to 1/3 of income. Could maybe stretch that, if no car. There are 1-br.'s available at $1200-$1275/mo. in that area. For someone working downtown, West Seattle has quite a few 1-br. apt.'s in the $1200-$1300 range. Commute to downtown can be either by bus or passenger ferry/water taxi. There are even 2-br. houses for rent there at around $2000/mo., if the OP wouldn't mind taking on a housemate.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 11-14-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Rent in Seattle has the fastest increase rate in the country. Most eastside cities within a decent commute have even higher rent. Be prepared to live farther away and use public transportation for a long commute. I see people taking the bus in from Tacoma, even Gig Harbor, Olympia and Dupont. Those can be as long as 2-1/2 hours on the bus, plus walk/drive/transfer time at each end. The median family income in Seattle is over $80,000, so with so many moving here it's hard for people making less to manage. There are less expensive apartments in parts of Seattle, but the demand is unreal, and landlords can be very picky about who they rent to. It's become extremely competitive. There continues to be a lot of new construction but they are high rise buildings in more popular areas where rent is higher. Kent is a good location for Erik, since he'll work south of Seattle, but if working downtown that would be a long commute, 90 minutes-two hours by bus each way, about 1/2 hour by train but you still have to get from home to the Kent train station and from the Seattle train station to work.

Seattle rents now growing faster than in any other U.S. city | The Seattle Times

$80,000 median: Income gain in Seattle far outpaces other cities | The Seattle Times

Old 11-14-2016, 12:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
I signed a lease for a 1 bedroom in Kent, small but works for just me for just over $900, I have paid off all my debts, I have a car but no car payment, I also have an orca card already, I'll be working at SeaTac.
Congrats on that! Good job!

Old 11-14-2016, 12:35 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
40-50k before taxes? No its not enough, you will be clipping coupons and not be able to land a good looking girl to sum it up.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:38 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Not even close, even living WAY outside of the city, just take commuting expenses into account and you're still not going to have enough. Anywhere you could maybe afford to live you're probably looking at 1.5-2hrs each way during rush hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area