U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,146,357 times

Advertisements

SO I was having this conversation with my hair stylist the other day, saying that this has to be the best winter since I've moved here. She too, (also a transplant from Calif) said that it was pleasantly sunny. And that the lack of sun during the summer was hard to endure.

I've been here 4 years and EVERY season someone tells me "this weather is just not typical!" Well, what IS typical?? What was it doing? Changing every 4 months?

So now my husband (who's been here 14 years) says this winter is the "typical" weather I had been waiting for! What do you think?

I'll say I've been happier this winter...but I attribute it to many factors 1) sunnier than the last few years 2) on maternity leave and therefore not having to be closed into a cubicle daily, and freezing my a$$ off at the bus stop 3) I have a S.A.D lamp on all day

My husband says when I go back to work he's seriously considering buying me monthly parking passes so that I can drive to work - since not having to spend much time outside really does seem to help me out. (I keep my house set to 77)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:25 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,515,495 times
I don't understand what she means by lack of sun in the summer. It stays light out here longer than almost anywhere in the country during the summer. Perhaps she was referring to the relatively mild temps?

Getting almost 2 straight weeks of nearly cloudless skies and temps in the high 50's in February is definitely not typical. However, it is also not unheard of. I recall last March we had a real nice stretch of weather like this as well. You just never know - the weather here is not very consistent from year to year. Two years ago we had a completely miserable Jan-Feb and then an unbelievable summer. Then, the following years' summer was terrible. Generally, the winters are gloomy and the summers are nice, thats all that can really be said.

So, I say enjoy it while it lasts and I am glad it is making you feel more at home.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM

432 posts, read 1,304,861 times
This winter has been the best in many years. I got a SAD lamp this year and didn't need to turn it on.

We've had nice falls/winters like this before and some real downers where it rained and was dark endlessly. There have also been other crummy summers like the last one. And some gorgeous summers.

I don't know if there ever has been a typical year. The endless rain winters are probably less typical than this one if you look at it over a number of years.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:57 PM

957 posts, read 2,420,549 times
If you don't mind me asking Mayfair (or anyone), how do those lamps work? I've seen them online before, but don't understand their full purpose.

Last edited by LookingtoLeave; 02-27-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-27-2008, 01:30 PM

16,074 posts, read 14,020,799 times
Yeah I have to say that this winter has been fairly decent - still winter mind (which I hate) - and I think a bit cooler than normal, but overall pretty good. For one thing we have not a one single serious snow in my neighborhood by the airport all winter long, in fact we've barely had a dusting on snow. Mind you we don't generally get much snow (only a couple times a year for a couple days each) - but this year there has really been none whatsoever (at least that I can think of). And to make that aspect even better, we have of course gotten a LOT of snow in the mountains so, the chance of any serious water shortage this summer is pretty low.

February almost aways gives us some nice sunny days and with the leaves typically coming out on some of the understory bushes and crocus and hellebores blooming like crazy, I don't really even consider February to be a winter month (at least not in the areas near the Sound or in the built-up areas of Seattle) - and this year has been no exception. Blooming is running about a week later than it's averaged over the last few years, but with the warmer temps of this past week or so, is rapidly catching up.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area