U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:25 AM

461 posts, read 360,327 times

Advertisements

Within one years time, I may just make a move to Olympia WA from Sarasota. Has anyone been in both these cities or lived in them?

The situation. My stepdad, my moms hs sweetheart she got reacquainted with has all his connection in WA for his job.. he may have to move there to make things easier for him. They both live in CA now but I could leave FL to move back with them once they do move to WA. I have a feeling it will be the Olympia area though because he keeps talking about it.

And one thing that seems nice to me about WA. It might have got populated but its slowed up. People wont be moving in droves there like they will to FL.. It is going to get CRAZY here in the next 5 years with Californians coming on top of all the snowbirds and transients they already get. Worse than Oregon or WA in my mind. Oh that's another thing, I been to Portland and spent some time there but I found it to be lesser off economically, almost like FL actually. I have had some bad breaks going to places where the economies have been really bad so.. I am getting older and I feel WA offers more in that regard. They seem to be making it. Even the idea of Seattle I think I'd like too.

What should I expect for pros and cons socially or economically in this area or the Olympia Seattle region? Mostly Olympia as Seattle is still considered a big city but any info would be helpful.

As far as driving goes, it really looks more organized based on the videos I see how Seattle area driving is.. Its almost like my homestate of MA.. not as sucky as FL drivers for sure and the cars also seem to keep distance. I am a fan of that.

But ya at any rate in the event I move with my mom and stepdad again, I wont be paying rent and I've collected SSI for awhile and its held me over in times I couldn't find work. I just think WA is the best state to try to get back on your feet in and possibly start again or be reborn again. And the overcast days would not bother me and one more thing, I know its not as overcast as they like to make it seem or as depressing. There actually looks to be a good amount of nice days too. I consider myself a beach person overall and they may not be a beach there technically but it is still around water and has an ocean vibe and fishing so I would like it I think and if economically and socially its better for me than dog eat dog FL, then I will be totally down for it. So to me that would trade off not having a beach to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,742 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Olympia is about 90 minutes drive from Seattle, during the night, 2-3 hours depending on the time of day, with nasty traffic even on weekends. Olympia has a quaint, old downtown area, but despite being the state capital, not nearly the same amenities, entertainment and sports as Seattle, in fact it has less population than our little suburban city of
Sammamish. When it comes to the economy, the median family income in Olympia is much less than Seattle but more than Portland. Home prices are lower in Olympia than Portland, and less than half of Seattle. In other words, Olympia is the most affordable of the 3, about the same as Sarasota for home prices, and rent is a bit lower.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Olympia is about 90 minutes drive from Seattle, during the night, 2-3 hours depending on the time of day, with nasty traffic even on weekends. Olympia has a quaint, old downtown area, but despite being the state capital, not nearly the same amenities, entertainment and sports as Seattle, in fact it has less population than our little suburban city of
Sammamish. When it comes to the economy, the median family income in Olympia is much less than Seattle but more than Portland. Home prices are lower in Olympia than Portland, and less than half of Seattle. In other words, Olympia is the most affordable of the 3, about the same as Sarasota for home prices, and rent is a bit lower.

Oh really? Olympia is cheaper than Sarasota? Funny you know of Sarasota too btw.. I had a feeling maybe someone on this board did but didn't expect it to be in the first reply lol. Lots of people have gone to FL. If Olympia is like Bradenton costs now, that would be something as it really seems like a higher grade town than B-town.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM

I see Olympia as a 1 hr trip to Seattle though but considering traffic who knows. Maybe at 11am its smoother or takes one hour. Because I'd want to visit Seattle from there for sure but wouldn't know how much of a pain in the A it is. Slowly I plan to see the sights in Seattle of course.. take one trip, then another trip maybe 3 weeks later.. just do it gradually so I know the area. Olympia could be one of those towns though where it has enough that you may not have to leave much. That be kinda good if it was.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:05 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
I see Olympia as a 1 hr trip to Seattle though but considering traffic who knows. Maybe at 11am its smoother or takes one hour. Because I'd want to visit Seattle from there for sure but wouldn't know how much of a pain in the A it is. Slowly I plan to see the sights in Seattle of course.. take one trip, then another trip maybe 3 weeks later.. just do it gradually so I know the area. Olympia could be one of those towns though where it has enough that you may not have to leave much. That be kinda good if it was.
The only time it's a one hour trip is Sunday morning at about 4 am, assuming no construction closures (and that's just including freeway driving time - doesn't include time to get to freeway, then time to arrive at your Seattle location - it sometimes takes me 45-60 minutes just to drive from one neighborhood to another in Seattle). There are so many potential bottlenecks (JBLM, Tacoma Dome Curves, Southcenter, all along Boeing Field) that the stars must be perfectly aligned to do that drive in 60 minutes. More normally 90-120 minutes at a minimum.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 PM

332 posts, read 317,820 times
I would stay in Sarasota. I live in Seattle but familiar with your area. If I lived in Florida that is where I would live. I am not familiar with Olympia but I don't think there is much going on there and like others have said there is always bumper to bumper traffic when I am driving down to Portland, I literally mean always.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Oh really? Olympia is cheaper than Sarasota? Funny you know of Sarasota too btw.. I had a feeling maybe someone on this board did but didn't expect it to be in the first reply lol. Lots of people have gone to FL. If Olympia is like Bradenton costs now, that would be something as it really seems like a higher grade town than B-town.
I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale, and several in the Orlando area. It would be easy enough to check prices on Zillow to compare. Olympia has state government, and not much else in large employers, with a hospital as the biggest employer, Walmart and Safeway stores being #2 & #3. That tends to keep home and rent prices down.
If you like an inexpensive breakfast at a real old school dive, check out the Farm Boy restaurant just off I5 on Maytown Rd. We stop there whenever we drive south.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
I would stay in Sarasota. I live in Seattle but familiar with your area. If I lived in Florida that is where I would live. I am not familiar with Olympia but I don't think there is much going on there and like others have said there is always bumper to bumper traffic when I am driving down to Portland, I literally mean always.
I may be pushed or tempted heavily though because of my family possibly moving there though so hopefully theres a great tradeoff to all of it and I'm just not seeing it. But I wont want to be this far away from them for very long and Sarasota also will get horrible traffic within a few years just like what you say Olympia is.. so Olympia is government jobs mostly? So that means it be like Sacramento. I'd have to be sure theres nothing for me here first because I did leave FL before and kind of regretted it but then again I also had a stepdad down here too at the time, hes dead now so the dynamics have changed for me. I saw that Olympia to Portland looks like its an hr and 40 without traffic is that right? Seattle still probably closer. It may not even be Olympia, it could be Kent, it could be another town but O town is whats mentioned a bit. Seems like a good music scene anywhere there though vs where I am now. I know Sleater Kinney is from Olympia and a few others like Beat Happening.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:26 PM

I actually am familiar with Sacramento, went to graduate school at Sac State. Olympia is only like it in that it's the state capital and has a lot of state workers. Sacramento has 10 times the population, and a large metro area around it with other cities like Roseville, Ranch Cordova, and Davis which are themselves each larger than Olympia. Yes, Olympia to Portland city limits is an hour and 40 without traffic, and it's not nearly as bad traffic as Olympia to Seattle. Portland, however, once you cross the river also has horrible traffic. It can take an hour to get across town from the airport to downtown. Sleater-Kinney has a road named after them, a major arterial between Olympia and Lacey.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:42 PM

735 posts, read 609,281 times
Quote:
I may be pushed or tempted heavily though because of my family possibly moving there though so hopefully theres a great tradeoff to all of it and I'm just not seeing it.
Resist any temptation to move here, you will be miserable. From what it sounds like you are use to sunny warm weather and people who are forced to move north are the ones that suffer the most. Traffic is worse, the sun is gone for huge chunks of the year, prices for everything is higher, seriously we have one of the highest gas taxes in the country and the sales tax is approaching ten percent. I can understand wanting to be close to family, but read all the posts about how miserable some people are after moving to Seattle/WA, there is no shortage of people that deeply regret the move. We have a lot positives, but for too many people the negatives outweigh them, the only positive I can see in a move is family, what are you going to when there is week after week of low hanging clouds, when the sun rises late, sets early and the notorious Pacific Northwest gloom hits? Don't underestimate the effects of SAD. I write this as a person that would crumple under the Florida sun, heat and humidity, but one thing to think about is how the cold dampness would effect your medical condition.

You are facing a tough decision, but WA isn't offering you a lot pros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or