Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
87112, I totally agree, just doesn't seem feasible here. I think the Sounders have taken up that "I'm going to check out the cool new sport" banner. The fact that they have delivered an exciting successful product means that those fans (like me) are hooked.
Yes, in part because so many immigrants to the area are coming from countries where soccer is the king of all sports. You will also notice a lot of cricket playing at Marymoor Park in Redmond, again because of immigrants, in that case from India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 688 times
Just out of curiousity, are there any good mens leagues in the area? I grew up in WI playing hockey and have been interviewing for a job in Seattle for after graduation. If I end up out there I would love to keep playing if possible.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Mketwk. Big hockey league culture in Everett, 25 miles north of Seattle. http://xfinityarenaeverett.com/IceRi...ey.ashx?p=1132

Old 12-13-2016, 02:00 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
I think that the NHL could be feasible here, if sited in a shared basketball/hockey arena with good transportation links. Hockey fans and soccer fans aren't the same people. The demise of hockey here was as much a matter of the Sonics owner, Barry Ackerley, locking the NHL out by ensuring that the renovated KeyArena was a basketball-only facility by limiting capacity short of NHL requirements, and relying on luxury box revenue to make up the difference. Ironically, it was that action that led to losses that precipitated the Sonics leaving town.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
The core fans might be largely different people, but teams depend on non-core fans.

The people of this region have a limited amount of money for entertainment and to some extent it simply gets divided among whatever options exist. Another team might mean more of that money goes to tickets overall, but it's still dividing the same money. (Except the net effect of bringing more money from out of town vs. what would have happened otherwise, but that should be a fairly low number)

Old 12-14-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The core fans might be largely different people, but teams depend on non-core fans.

The people of this region have a limited amount of money for entertainment and to some extent it simply gets divided among whatever options exist. Another team might mean more of that money goes to tickets overall, but it's still dividing the same money. (Except the net effect of bringing more money from out of town vs. what would have happened otherwise, but that should be a fairly low number)
You're not taking population growth and/or income growth into account. Both have been significant since the Sonics left town.

When Seattle's professional sports teams have fallen into the red, it has been due to 1) uncompetitive teams and/or 2) inadequate facilities. A state of the art arena requires more than one primary tenant.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 PM

None of that differs from the post you just quoted. Maybe you meant to quote something else?

Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
None of that differs from the post you just quoted. Maybe you meant to quote something else?
You stated, "The people of this region have a limited amount of money for entertainment and to some extent it simply gets divided among whatever options exist".

I was merely commenting that population and income growth within the region, both of which have been significant, could potentially allow support of both an NBA and NHL franchise, especially if sharing a state-of-the-art venue with good transportation links. That does differ from what you posted, or I wouldn't have posted it.

Population and income are dynamic, not static, factors. The flexibility and quality of the venue can expand the numbers and types of fans drawn to it. Ultimately it comes down to the ability of the "experience" being offered to incentivize the expenditure of the time and money required.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:45 PM

If you think that differs from what I said, study logic and English.

Of COURSE population growth and economic growth could impact the equation.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
If you think that differs from what I said, study logic and English.

Of COURSE population growth and economic growth could impact the equation.
Except, you never said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area