Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times

Advertisements

Beloved Seattle cafe 'crushed' by ever-growing costs

At first this looks like just another "rising minimum wage hurts business" story:

Quote:
The city’s minimum wage law, which requires employers with 500 or fewer employees to pay at least $11 an hour by Jan. 1, was hurting Plum’s bottom line, she says.
Except the real factors pointed to have little to do with a higher minimum wage:

Quote:
"Never mind the huge labor shortage for kitchen staff in this city.”

Plum says it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find qualified candidates — or any candidates at all — to work in the food service industry. The people moving to Seattle and King County are all doing so to work in the tech industry, she says.
The real problem is a labor shortage, despite the higher minimum wage:

Quote:
“People are working in tech,” Plum said. “You don’t have people moving into [Seattle] to work in a kitchen … It doesn’t pay the most, although the wages are going up.”

Plum says when she places ads for the cook, she now gets zero response.
This doesn't mean that a higher minimum wage isn't a factor in rising costs, but it is likely not the most important one, that being that service businesses are having difficulty attracting quality workers even at higher than minimum wages. Even without the higher minimum wage, Seattle businesses would have faced higher labor costs anyway, due to rapidly rising living costs that are driving "workers" out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 02:17 PM

547 posts, read 506,742 times
Walked by there Saturday and saw this. Kind of sad the place was always busy. 14 carrot will pick up some business.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:24 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Very sad but it also seems like some of this is determined by location, parking and accessibility. My Phinney Ridge coffee shop (Makeda) is very busy all the time and seems to find employees.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:28 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Very sad but it also seems like some of this is determined by location, parking and accessibility. My Phinney Ridge coffee shop (Makeda) is very busy all the time and seems to find employees.
This is what I was thinking. Eastlake isn't the best location, and I honestly question how "beloved" the place was. It may have had a few devoted regulars, but there are plenty of neighborhood hangouts that have had a major following over decades.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what I was thinking. Eastlake isn't the best location, and I honestly question how "beloved" the place was. It may have had a few devoted regulars, but there are plenty of neighborhood hangouts that have had a major following over decades.
Reminds me of a 2010 PI story telling of Ballard's Totem House fish and chips place closing after 62 years due to the bad economy. Truth was the placed was overpriced, poor quality, and only survived as long as it did being so close to the Locks.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,505,741 times
The coffee shop by son's house, has $3 coffee. That's drip, pour over. He bought.
I now have a stash of coffee and filters at his house.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
...I honestly question how "beloved" the place was. It may have had a few devoted regulars, but there are plenty of neighborhood hangouts that have had a major following over decades.
At one time I was something of a "regular" at Louisa's and it wasn't all that beloved to me. And from what I could see, any price increases caused by increased minimum wages would have easily been absorbed by typical Louisa's patrons. Easily. The Honey Bear, she wasn't.

I was far, far sadder to see Hiroshi's across the street leave; one of the best Japanese places in town. (He's up on Beacon Hill now, I'll be making a pilgrimage soon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Reminds me of a 2010 PI story telling of Ballard's Totem House fish and chips place closing after 62 years due to the bad economy. Truth was the placed was overpriced, poor quality, and only survived as long as it did being so close to the Locks.
Amen to that. Salt poisoning was a side dish.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:43 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I'm surprised that places aren't finding workers. Aren't zillions of people struggling to pay Seattle rents, and needing a second job?

I cooked decades ago, and have always thought that if I was struggling I could do a couple nights a week in a restaurant. They need people like that.

I also wonder if this is a pervasive problem, or more about some places not being good at finding/retaining people.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times
Can't find anybody to work for peanuts so it closes down...

Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
At one time I was something of a "regular" at Louisa's and it wasn't all that beloved to me. And from what I could see, any price increases caused by increased minimum wages would have easily been absorbed by typical Louisa's patrons. Easily. The Honey Bear, she wasn't.
Ah, another Honey Bear fan! Now that place was the essence of beloved! Too bad they're so lackluster in their Lake Forest Park location. I haven't been, but the reviews are terrible. Owner is completely indifferent to the bad service. If he goes out of business blaming "increased minimum wage", everyone will know it was due to the appalling service. I've seen places with bad service and bad fare close due to "increased minimum wage", but the public isn't fooled. It's a convenient excuse few people buy.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-20-2016 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area