Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM

261 posts, read 221,436 times

Advertisements

Its virtually remote work but some of the opportunity could be in Redmond but I can easily get a cab there if needed.

I'm looking for a bit of ease and comfort and not have to put up with things just to get through. Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 04:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
Its virtually remote work but some of the opportunity could be in Redmond but I can easily get a cab there if needed.

I'm looking for a bit of ease and comfort and not have to put up with things just to get through. Been there, done that.
A cab from Tacoma to Redmond? Is this just consulting where the wish is to get work in Redmond? If the potential customers are in the Seattle metro, you should probably live in the Seattle metro. Trying to get meetings with companies in Seattle when you live in Tacoma is probably not going to work out successfully. That said, Seattle is very competitive and your track record is not going to be helpful unless you say you are fresh from the UK and pay several months up front. Just cutting to the chase here.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:36 AM

It's a little complex. There is a "wish" indeed and it helps.
With my current work situation, it can literally be anywhere because I am a consultant and self employed with my own company. Most of the work I do is remote but sometimes can be honest depending on where the client is around the country.

I want to move to the Seattle areas because... I do. And for the "wish" of a potential job being in the Redmond area (the wish is also a "wheels in motion" stage at the moment as things stand).

Honestly, I don't mind where I am in the Seattle areas as long as:

- rent is reasonable (so he says)
- close to grocery stores by walk since I do not drive
- in a good area
- upkeep of the place is good.

That's it. That's all.

For paying several months up front, its not that big of an issue for me. I also can get a reference from a landlord here in the US where I have been with them for around a year but that was a bit of a "transitioning" move for me. I'd split my time between there and back in the UK and rent was still being paid on time.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
It's a little complex. There is a "wish" indeed and it helps.
With my current work situation, it can literally be anywhere because I am a consultant and self employed with my own company. Most of the work I do is remote but sometimes can be honest depending on where the client is around the country.

I want to move to the Seattle areas because... I do. And for the "wish" of a potential job being in the Redmond area (the wish is also a "wheels in motion" stage at the moment as things stand).

- in a good area

That's it. That's all.

For paying several months up front, its not that big of an issue for me. I also can get a reference from a landlord here in the US where I have been with them for around a year but that was a bit of a "transitioning" move for me. I'd split my time between there and back in the UK and rent was still being paid on time.
Seems like you need to do your own research to determine whether rent will be "reasonable".

Rent is cheaper in Tacoma, but if you are seriously talking about commuting from Tacoma to Redmond on a weekday between 7 am and 9:30 am and 3 pm to 6:30 pm, you are looking at a commute of AT LEAST an hour and a half ... but probably closer to 2 hours one way.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 AM

Maybe i should suck it up and find an apt. grrr

Old 01-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Saw a place in Magnolia yesterday. The area seemed nice and peaceful and neighbourly. The place I was looking at was ok but a little too small perhaps.

The search must go on!

Saw a place in Redmond, a little out my price range but looked good but these are just pictures.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Quote:

- in a good area

That's it. That's all.

Your post really made me think of the first place we lived when we moved here. I looked and they have several places available. I can't say what it's like to live in now since it's been >10 yrs since I lived there, but it's a terrific location - central to Bellevue and Kirkland, convenient to Redmond, and even pretty quick to Seattle. There's a nice little shopping center (with a decent grocery store, and a really good breakfast cafe) 1 block away. A longer-but-totally-doable walk gets you to Bellevue Square, DT Bellevue and all the shopping there. Walking north towards Kirkland, along Lake WA, is also lovely. And a taxi or Uber to Redmond would not be crazy $$ or take hours.

The place is called The Regent, and this is one of their listings.. It was quiet (some of the units are on Bellevue Way, but it gets quiet at night, and the ones that are not are quiet all the time), well-maintained and convenient for us when we were getting settled in the area. The neighborhood is very safe.

2 Bedroom Town Home. Serene Atmosphere but still minutes of Downtown!

However, like I noted, I haven't lived there for years. I have no idea what the current management is like.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Renting a town home for an affordable price point... Yeah you know there is a problem when one is well into six figures and still shakes their head at the cost of renting a two bedroom town home built in 1979.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:55 AM

Kayela - thank you! I will get in touch with them early on this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area