Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 990 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family would be moving to Seattle in roughly 3 months because of a job opportunity and we're visiting next month. If everything checks out we'd probably be living near Redmond.

I'm very excited to see what it's like there.

But one thing that has always bothered me was my height. I'm an 18 year old guy, and where I live right now, at 5'9 I feel about average. I've read that people in Seattle are taller than average (like above 6'), is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:19 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
At least you are not in Idaho.. Every guy here is over 6,2.. I am not joking! Yeah, occasionally I see a guy my height or a bit shorter. And most women are close to my height and many are taller .. I am 5,9.. It helps that I have a bigger build, but I definitely wear some big boots.. Get some taller shoes or boots and you will do fine.. Also, have a big personality. People in Seattle may be tall, but their shy, reserved and almost cowardly personalities makes them seem shorter to me. I was in Ghana, West Africa where almost everyone was shorter than me and the people act , big and men are macho and I can tell you I felt more intimidated by some of those shorter but tough jungle boys in Ghana than I do by some of the tall and slender giants you have in the Northwest. Idaho being a bit of exception, there is plenty of tall, strong macho tough guys in this state, especially Boise. Seattle is lacking the large number of alpha males you have in Boise. Some of the toughest acting and d*uchiest guys in Idaho are actually not the biggest guys you see either.

Northwest people are quite tall.. Don't let your height worry you..

Last edited by RotseCherut; 01-01-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 PM

261 posts, read 221,536 times
If you do get that interview and goes well (I hope so for ya!)..and it is for that big IT company...lucky you. LOL.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
If you do get that interview and goes well (I hope so for ya!)..and it is for that big IT company...lucky you. LOL.
It might be mom or dad and not the 18 year old getting the job.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
You'll be fine. I have a buddy (male) who is 5'3" and he is very very confident. People think he is much taller just because of that.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:02 PM

91 posts, read 126,056 times
Seattle has a considerable Darwinist population that believes in things like physical traits playing a role in natural selection and success in life.
Some of them might think your 5'9" height is not your asset and that can be a difficulty in finding a date or landing a job if you find yourself in their environment.

Locals that believe this type nonsense are almost (but not) all white Americans and many will try to present themselves as social liberals when in fact they are as Fascist as it gets in 21st century.

Good thing is the fact that the only thing that really matters in establishing success is your intellect and how you feel about yourself. Press on and good luck!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
5 foot 9 is actually the average height of most American males. Why you feel this is less than ideal is probably not due to your height. Take a hard look at why you feel you are not up to this standard. I think you will find it is something else.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,819 times
don't be ridiculous- ...................all of you.....and look for a house near an Elementary school

Old 01-01-2017, 09:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithACan View Post
Hello!

My family would be moving to Seattle in roughly 3 months because of a job opportunity and we're visiting next month. If everything checks out we'd probably be living near Redmond.

I'm very excited to see what it's like there.

But one thing that has always bothered me was my height. I'm an 18 year old guy, and where I live right now, at 5'9 I feel about average. I've read that people in Seattle are taller than average (like above 6'), is this true?
You are precisely average. So what are you worried about? What you should be concerned about is how to break through the Seattle Freeze. How do you plan to approach women; are you the friendly, outgoing type? If so, meeting women should be a piece of cake, because most guys in Seattle are too reserved to handle it. Will you be attending the UW for college? Take maximum advantage of that opportunity to socialize.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 PM

387 posts, read 358,449 times
you will feel short when you are around taller people. you will feel tall when you are around shorter people. you will feel average when you are around people your height. when you are around people of mixed heights, you will also feel average because your height will be in the middle of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: