Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM

329 posts, read 1,026,341 times

Advertisements

It's SO annoying. I want to see a white winter wonderland but we've been getting absolutely nothing. We're further north, you'd think we'd be the ones who get it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:30 AM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
It's SO annoying. I want to see a white winter wonderland but we've been getting absolutely nothing. We're further north, you'd think we'd be the ones who get it first.
IDK, a friend of mine in West Seattle said there was snow there last week. But Portland is inland, away from the modulating effects of the ocean, while Seattle is right on the Sound. Winter weather has always been harsher in the Portland area and south, in the Willamette Valley.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM

8,162 posts, read 8,232,503 times
The powerful developers and construction companies who are rapidly building the Seattle skyline have conspired to alter weather patterns by secretive cloud seeding on Adak Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Read about it. Did you believe me, even briefly? Come on, that was fun.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 AM

269 posts, read 295,909 times
Quote:
Why does Portland keep getting slammed by snowstorms and we get nothing?
Because we have significant mountains protecting us to the west AND because Portland has a 'pipeline' to frigid eastern cold air in the way of the Columbia Gorge.

There's a reason why Forks, WA is the rainiest place in the 'lower 48' (and thus was the setting for "Twilight" movies)

Ever heard of "Mist Mountain"?? (I am guessing not, for most readers)

I will give'em credit - it IS misty there!

Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Quote:
Where do you live, go up higher? We got 2" in Sammamish that lasted a week, and only melted last Sunday when it rained.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 PM

737 posts, read 1,457,625 times
3 inches in Burien on NYE/NYD evening. It just finally melted away. There have bee 2 "significant" snow "storms" since mid December. Way more than I thought we'd get!

Old 01-11-2017, 04:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,780,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoTime View Post
Because we have significant mountains protecting us to the west AND because Portland has a 'pipeline' to frigid eastern cold air in the way of the Columbia Gorge.

There's a reason why Forks, WA is the rainiest place in the 'lower 48' (and thus was the setting for "Twilight" movies)

Ever heard of "Mist Mountain"?? (I am guessing not, for most readers)

I will give'em credit - it IS misty there!
MondoTime is exactly correct. When Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon get an outbreak of bitter cold air the only release valve westward is through the Columbia Gorge. This explains why Portland can get significant snow events. Portland also gets more ice storms than Seattle for the same reason. BTW the Eastern WA/OR cold air will last through the weekend, so the snow in Portland is likely not going anywhere for awhile.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...+WA+99336:4:US

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-11-2017 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,780,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
The powerful developers and construction companies who are rapidly building the Seattle skyline have conspired to alter weather patterns by secretive cloud seeding on Adak Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. Read about it. Did you believe me, even briefly? Come on, that was fun.
I know you were being facetious, but there is some truth in your post. As Seattle becomes denser, the "heat island" effect gets stronger. I truly believe this is why those 4-5 foot storms of 100+ years ago were frequent, there was no real city to keep the temperature above the point at which snow would have been prevalent.

This link looks at the summer phenomenon of heat islands, but I assume the same happens during the cold season.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/u...s-health-17919

Old 01-11-2017, 05:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,672,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
MondoTime is exactly correct. When Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon get an outbreak of bitter cold air the only release valve westward is through the Columbia Gorge. This explains why Portland can get significant snow events. ...
WA resident here... at the 'vortex of the Columbia River Gorge (Cape Horn, WA)

About as wild weather as Cape Horn SA...ALL the cold air from Eastern WA and OR + parts of MT, ID need to exit via our narrow canyon.

80 MPH winds for days on end; (@14 - 22F = -10F wind chill)
Transition of Cold (dry) front to Warm (WET) front = 3" of snow, topped by 2" of Ice, and as of this AM, covered with 3" of snow (5ft of snow on leeward side of house).

Entire house is encapsulated in ice (but at least that makes it WARM (inside), but... need to be submarine quality, as ANY little leaks will cause waterfall down INSIDE wall or windows.

Very nice place for weather watching. (sorry, no new neighbors allowed...protected... NSA) Management Plan | Columbia River Gorge Commission
We are often between the clouds... upper moisture laden clouds heading east, drier cold clouds fleeing the east.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...w=1287&bih=650

SWEET place to live if you can handle the weather, the 'friends of the gorge' (Greenies who are enemies to Gorge residents), no internet access (no cell towers, dishes allowed) and $44/ day property taxes (up from $3 / day)

Old 01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

415 posts, read 488,556 times
QUOTE=destroycreate;46790938]It's SO annoying. I want to see a white winter wonderland but we've been getting absolutely nothing. We're further north, you'd think we'd be the ones who get it first.[/quote]

SHHH

This guy, Father Frost, might hear you....

...and consider it a challenge and unleash unholy icy terror on us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaksWCnHaDM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area