Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

A lot of dog owners are really, really irresponsible. Even beyond the general rudeness of taking the damn things into shops, letting them bark, etc. I hope a lot of huge civil and/or criminal judgements happen when they bite people.

The dogs themselves I have nothing against. But my god some of the owners...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:07 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Years ago I adopted a dog from the shelter advertised as "lab mix". I didn't realize she was a pit mix until several people pointed it out. I was horrified to realize this, but then learned that pits used to be the #1 family dog in the U.S. A twisted minority has bred some pits to be fighting machines, which is abusive to the animal and obviously has been detrimental to the breed's reputation. Our dog was the most lovable, goofy, person-like cuddle bunny a family could ever want. She adapted to 2 babies after being the "only child" for 4 years. We loved that dog intensely, like a member of the family. I now speak up whenever hearing bias about the breed as a whole. The shelters in some regions in the U.S. are filled with pit mixes, unfortunately becauses of bad owners.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Years ago I adopted a dog from the shelter advertised as "lab mix". I didn't realize she was a pit mix until several people pointed it out. I was horrified to realize this, but then learned that pits used to be the #1 family dog in the U.S. A twisted minority has bred some pits to be fighting machines, which is abusive to the animal and obviously has been detrimental to the breed's reputation. Our dog was the most lovable, goofy, person-like cuddle bunny a family could ever want. She adapted to 2 babies after being the "only child" for 4 years. We loved that dog intensely, like a member of the family. I now speak up whenever hearing bias about the breed as a whole. The shelters in some regions in the U.S. are filled with pit mixes, unfortunately becauses of bad owners.
Almost every pit bull or mix I have encountered was mild-mannered or friendly. The two exceptions I can think of were skittish, not aggressive. I don't trust any strange skittish dog, regardless of breed. The negativity heaped on pit bulls is unfair, given how many "nice breeds" have bitten--including fatally mauling--people or other dogs. As should be amply evident by doing a little searching on actual attacks.

Bulldogs used to be tenacious fighters. Humans bred that tendency into, and then out of them. Blame the humans for creating any monsters.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:17 PM

17 posts, read 24,525 times
I just adopted myself a pitbull puppy because of all of the heartbreaking myths and discrimination against them. They are indeed the sweetest dogs you can ever imagine and examples you see in the news are always going to be projected on top because they are very easily targeted. It's easy to just say a "pitbull" attacked someone. There are plenty of stories of other breeds dealing the same type of damage to people but you don't hear about it because the media looks for Pitbulls specifically.

Raising my new pitbull has been quite the experience because he is indeed the most loving dog I have ever encountered. It doesn't matter if it's a stranger it doesn't matter what age the person is, he just wants to share love with them. So to say all pit bulls are dangerous dogs is the most ignorant thing anyone can say. Irresponsible owners are the cause of this label of the idea of this "violent" breed. That's not what they truly are. They're just so loyal to their owners that they will listen to them no matter how disgusting and irresponsible they may be. So for those pit bulls that you see in the news, they are being trained in the worst way possible that has nothing to do with the dogs of them self. And that's the most heartbreaking part of it because all the shelters are being flooded with pitbull type dogs because of the fear people have on them without knowing the truth. Same goes for regulations and bans all over the place not allowing this dog. It's as simple as not bringing your dog to the dog park if they are not well behaved with other dogs, or keeping them on a leash. A lot of people don't care and don't deserve to own such wonderful dogs.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM

17 posts, read 24,525 times
Not to mention, "pitbull" it's not an actual dog breed it's just a label many dogs share because of their similar physical features.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
One of the most traumatic experiences of my life: I came home as a 7 grader in Florida, 2 pit bulls had jumped our fence and killed my two sweet Welsh Terriers, I found them with their guts hanging out. Most dogs fight till one gives up or rolls over, pits are different. Since then, pits have lunged at my 8 year old daughter and attacked my pug while being walked by their owner, drawing blood. Are all pits bad? Probably not, I don't trust them though.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Oh, but my widdle puppy means that just isn't true!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:09 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
So many totally-irresponsible, arrogant, entitled people own dogs.......and this crummy attitude goes a lot farther than just Nitwitbull-owners.

People who own a dog that illegitimately-attacks someone, should be criminally-prosecuted.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Nature vs nurture. Training and upbringing are major. But if certain traits are bred into an animal, then that's an additional factor.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Funny story- we had a purebred Boxer doggie. They are originally descended from Bulldogs and Bellenbeiser (spelling?) mastiffs, so there's common ancestry. We eventually lost count of how many times ppl would point blank tell us he was a pit bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area