Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times

Advertisements

We're not in total disagreement, peequi. I'm sure that bringing up politics would cause flak. But just the accent alone? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 02:34 PM

513 posts, read 499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I think that as long as you're not trying to push your political views onto others (As you say you do in your original post anyways), you should be fine .

IMO, the city of Seattle itself leans very liberal (modern liberalism), but many long-term residents/natives within the greater Puget Sound area (Esp. further out from Seattle) seem to come off as more libertarian-ish to me (Rather socially liberal, but more fiscally conservative/conservative on a few other issues). The leadership of folks like Murray and Sawant is starting to make me wonder if I fall more into the latter camp, but that's a conversation for another day .
I always thought I was liberal too but Sawant and Murray (and most of the city council) has me rethinking it.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:07 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solay75 View Post
I'll be visiting Seattle in a few weeks and after reading this thread I'm a bit concerned I'm going to be a bit shunned based on the southern drawl that comes out of my mouth. I'm not a conservative but come from a conservative state and don't want to be judged based upon that fact before I even have a chance to present who I am, not just the state where I live. I was excited to go to Seattle and explore the city and chat up the locals, but some of the posts on here have me thinking some of the locals may not want to chat with me. ☹️
The locals aren't going to avoid talking to you because of your drawl. They're going to avoid talking to you because this is a city where nobody wants to talk to anybody else or have meaningful interaction. It's a very passive aggressive area in which you can get some basic surface/small talk out of people, but they're secretly trying to plan their exit from the encounter.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:30 PM

511 posts, read 625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solay75 View Post
I'll be visiting Seattle in a few weeks and after reading this thread I'm a bit concerned I'm going to be a bit shunned based on the southern drawl that comes out of my mouth. I'm not a conservative but come from a conservative state and don't want to be judged based upon that fact before I even have a chance to present who I am, not just the state where I live. I was excited to go to Seattle and explore the city and chat up the locals, but some of the posts on here have me thinking some of the locals may not want to chat with me. ☹️
So many different opinions on Seattlites! Here's mine - Depending on my mood, I can be blindingly bright or deeply within myself, but most of the time, I'm pretty even and accessible. What I put out, I usually get back. When too bright, too enthusiastic, I tend to stun people into silence. When deeply within myself, I notice people leave me alone. But when I'm not at either extreme - where I am most of the time - people are polite, willing to help out in many situations, kind, and often initiate a little chat or give a welcoming smile as we wait in line.

Even when they find out I'm a "dreaded" Californian, they continue to treat me kindly. I think it has a lot more to do with how you present yourself than anything else. Go in open-hearted, and I bet you'll be pleased with what you get back.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:41 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
The general tenor is live-and-let-live. People, on the right or the left, trying to dictate what people should think or how they should live, are the exception. On the other hand, don't expect tolerance of intolerance.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The locals aren't going to avoid talking to you because of your drawl. They're going to avoid talking to you because this is a city where nobody wants to talk to anybody else or have meaningful interaction. It's a very passive aggressive area in which you can get some basic surface/small talk out of people, but they're secretly trying to plan their exit from the encounter.
OP, Sadly, this is true to some extent. If you come across one of the "chilly" types here, don't immediately assume it's your accent or anything like that putting them off, it's just kind of a social custom here. Best to just not invest too much time in someone giving you the cold shoulder, and try your luck w/someone else, who may hopefully be friendlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes
I always thought I was liberal too but Sawant and Murray (and most of the city council) has me rethinking it.
It's more so that I question a lot of things about the current leadership than a full-on shift of my political views. Most people would probably consider me far from being conservative, but even I think Murray and the city council is getting a little out of control with matters such as new/increased taxes (despite additional tax revenue already coming in from skyrocketing land/real estate values), and throwing money at problems that won't be solved with money alone/require more thoughtful long-term solutions.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
What on Earth is all this talk about Seattle being unfriendly, passive aggressive, fake at being friendly, etc? I agree it isn't the most open and welcoming city, but it really isn't that bad. But I never lived anywhere else. Still I really think sometimes this Seattle Freeze idea is a bit over hyped.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:29 PM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
But I never lived anywhere else.
I think that's your problem right there

Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
I think that's your problem right there
But so many Seattle folks are not native Seattle folks, many from CA, TX, China, India, etc. In most cases these transplants agree that Seattle isn't that bad in terms of the friendliness. However I do recall some mid westerners mentioning the Seattle Freeze.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM

261 posts, read 221,536 times
Well let me tell you.
I am from the UK. I have always liked the welcome I get when I am in Seattle.
Fast forward a few years, I recently moved here. However there is always the Seattle freeze with the opposite gender that I am experiencing. Perhaps I am too ugly and the goalposts have changed yet again with unrealistic expectation and you have to meet an unrealistic criteria just to say literally "hello"

seems its easier to be gay and hold hands than it is for a straight guy to meet a woman.

It actually is making me feel down. There are a number of reasons why I wanted to move here and this was certainly one of them to find and build a future together with someone. No effort being made, pre-judge. It's ridiculous. no wonder there are so many single people these days. Fact.

makes it even more difficult for someone who does not drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area