Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 02:21 PM

429 posts, read 479,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCorg View Post
I'm just glad I got differing opinions about the topic itself. Replies from both sides are always welcome
Pierce, Snohomish, and Kitsap Counties, and even the outer parts of King County, are much more moderate. I used to live in Lynnwood (not even that far from Seattle and not considered one of the more redneck parts of the region) and at the local bars around there opinions were generally split politically. Places like Puyallup, Marysville, Maple Valley, Bremerton, etc. - you'll find plenty of other conservatives.

Now if we're talking about Seattle proper it's a completely different story - it's very progressive nearly across the board. Comparable to San Francisco, as someone said. The tolerance for conservatism in the City of Seattle proper right now is fairly low, especially with Trump in the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 02:10 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCorg View Post
I'm not one to shove my political belifs in the face in others, and it only comes up if i am asked. How much of a minority will I be in the city?
How important is it to you to talk politics? When someone makes a snarky/ignorant remark, can you pretend you didn't hear?

I think that's the only way to deal with people who consider themselves well-informed because they listen to NPR on their commutes. Whatever you do, don't try to engage.

If you can't resist countering when someone starts talking about how awful it is that Trump's immigration policies don't support open borders, you should definitely consider living in the 'burbs.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I think the rule is pretty much the same in many urban areas. Closer to city core, more liberal. Farther out and in outlying towns, more conservative. Find your home and use common sense in your human interactions. If you want to pick a fight in life, you can. If you want to cultivate harmony, you can. Your choice.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:57 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The locals aren't going to avoid talking to you because of your drawl. They're going to avoid talking to you because this is a city where nobody wants to talk to anybody else or have meaningful interaction. It's a very passive aggressive area in which you can get some basic surface/small talk out of people, but they're secretly trying to plan their exit from the encounter.
With my Texas drawl I get marriage proposals and other date type overtures and I am 54 !
You can see pretty much though I am far from conservative tho people on either side if the aisle don't go around talking about it .

Old 05-02-2017, 03:55 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
I'm libertarian and tend to lean conservative on the political spectrum. I also tend to look/dress very conservatively. Having lived in Seattle for more than 30 years, you learn to stand up for your beliefs. Three quarters of my friends are liberal but it doesn't effect our friendship. We'll sit down, drink a beer and talk politics. While we may not agree at the end of the day, I think they appreciate my viewpoints. They may not agree with everything (or anything) that I say but they are open minded and respectful. This pretty much sums up my dealings with the majority of liberals.

However, this isn't always the case with the ultra "triggered" liberals. I find that they do tend to judge me very quickly and as a result give me the cold shoulder/major attitude. I've come to grips that to many, I am the enemy. But I've learned not to let this ruin my day. If they want to get pissy, it's their problem and not mine

Do remember Seattle is a very big city and there are plenty conservatives to be found. If you can find friends in both parties, live a balance life, you'll do fine here in Seattle!

Old 05-02-2017, 04:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'm libertarian and tend to lean conservative on the political spectrum. I also tend to look/dress very conservatively. Having lived in Seattle for more than 30 years, you learn to stand up for your beliefs. Three quarters of my friends are liberal but it doesn't effect our friendship. We'll sit down, drink a beer and talk politics. While we may not agree at the end of the day, I think they appreciate my viewpoints. They may not agree with everything (or anything) that I say but they are open minded and respectful. This pretty much sums up my dealings with the majority of liberals.

However, this isn't always the case with the ultra "triggered" liberals. I find that they do tend to judge me very quickly and as a result give me the cold shoulder/major attitude. I've come to grips that to many, I am the enemy. But I've learned not to let this ruin my day. If they want to get pissy, it's their problem and not mine

Do remember Seattle is a very big city and there are plenty conservatives to be found. If you can find friends in both parties, live a balance life, you'll do fine here in Seattle!
Wouldn't put much stock in appearance. I've liberal but dress conservatively and I know many many colleagues that are similar. There are a lot of conservative places to go in this country for those that feel Seattle is too liberal for their liking. I wouldn't go to Oklahoma and complain - I just wouldn't go to Oklahoma.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
What does "dress conservatively" mean? Khakis? What does conservative dress look like? It's as if some people are afraid they'll be spotted and recognized by their plumage, and might suffer some kind of unpleasantness as a result. IME no one notices, no one cares. Good grief!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 PM

91 posts, read 126,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
Well let me tell you.
I am from the UK. I have always liked the welcome I get when I am in Seattle.
Fast forward a few years, I recently moved here. However there is always the Seattle freeze with the opposite gender that I am experiencing. Perhaps I am too ugly and the goalposts have changed yet again with unrealistic expectation and you have to meet an unrealistic criteria just to say literally "hello"

seems its easier to be gay and hold hands than it is for a straight guy to meet a woman.

It actually is making me feel down. There are a number of reasons why I wanted to move here and this was certainly one of them to find and build a future together with someone. No effort being made, pre-judge. It's ridiculous. no wonder there are so many single people these days. Fact.

makes it even more difficult for someone who does not drink.
Despair not! All you have to do is look further south. Wife and I just returned from Arizona and we observed a much healthier social fabric there including general behavior of both men and women.
Men seemed to exhibit less psychopathy and women were very approachable and talkative as well as paid attention to their cleanliness and appearance.

My wife seems to think this is because AZ in general is more conservative (California conservatives are fleeing) but I would say it has more to do with climate and culture specific to that area. Maybe venture outside of PNW see if it gets better. Good luck to you! There IS love and companionship with the opposite gender you just have to seek further out.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Oh you mean that's allowed?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Don't talk politics with Seattleites if you're on the other end of the spectrum. They'll get upset and not talk to you ever again. A bunch of intolerant, hypocrotical ignoramuses, they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area