Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:01 PM

69 posts, read 113,144 times

Advertisements

I'm super confused about buying a home in Newcastle vs. Woodinville.

We don't have kids, but of course everyone plans to have them, I suppose so will we.

Newcastle place we're looking at is very close to the Golf Course but falls in the Renton School District.

We're a mixed race couple (White/Indian) and are now thinking is it better to go to Newcastle because of the commute to both Seattle/Bellevue.

On the other hand, Kirkland has something for us in the same price range, but the commute to Seattle is worse. However, the city is good and the school district is good.

I personally prefer Newcastle, but wife thinks we need to take school district into account when looking, since most future buyers would.

I also think we'll never sell this place, and probably buy a second home eventually.

Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 PM

8,154 posts, read 8,196,452 times
Tough one, I'd probably go for the Woodinville home. You never know when your plans will change and those scores perform better. Another way to look at it, it probably will go up in value at a faster rate. Another added benefit of Woodinville, it's faster to Stevens Pass and the mountains

Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
And I'm voting for Newcastle. Sure, resale value of homes partly depends on school districts. But it also depends on individual schools, and the Newcastle schools that are in the Renton school district are very good, have been very good for a long time, and will continue to be very good. Newcastle is a more central location, and is pleasant, with lots of hiking trails nearby.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,764,236 times
If you're looking to buy anytime soon, I think you're at the mercy of a market where not many houses come up for sale and few go for asking. Scoring something in either of these locations might not be so easy once you're competing with all the other bidders. Fortunately they're both great locations, so there may be something to be said for managing to get something at all vs holding out for some ideal location (and letting something just as nice slip away). Being able to be happy in many locations is a good thing.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Yeah the home is only a few blocks from Safeway in Newcastle which is pretty awesome.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 PM

I will say that people I've sold homes to in Newcastle and Newport Hills love the trails and hiking closeby. Ira is right. In the end, it's probably best to make a decision based equally on schools and work commute, it isn't getting better any time soon around here.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,764,236 times
Quote:
Yeah the home is only a few blocks from Safeway in Newcastle which is pretty awesome.
I'd rather live by a single, good-sized grocery (like a Safeway, QFC, TJ's) than dozens of anything else. You'll do 80% of your walking errands to that one store, and anything else can be done in batches later, or via Amazon..

Old 02-18-2017, 10:09 PM

We lost the home. We became unsure about the Energize Eastside project that is coming up around the area, our home was relatively far, but the wife was unsure. We then saw a high-tension wire from Google Maps and that was further indication to my wife this was not a good area.

So we said we'll come back in a few hours, and by then by some one else's offer was accepted.

We were 20% over asking price, which was like $150,000 so you can do the math. I'm going crazy nothing is getting accepted.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM

Please don't lose hope, mspkiddo. Moderator cut: see note. Did you preinspect, have a healthy earnest money? Five percent of purchase price for earnest money is preferable. Did you write a personal letter, offer to cover an appraisal gap? Did you waive the information review period, have a solid preapproval letter with a less than 30 day close? Did your real estate broker present the offer in person? Did you have your lender call the listing broker to reinforce that you are a strongly qualified buyer? Did you offer and exhibit flexibility about allowing the seller to rent back from you for a month after closing? Did your broker precisely time the presentation of your offer to coincide with when the offer was actually presented to the seller? This minimizes the possibility that your offer can be used as leverage to elicit a better offer. It is competitive out there but there are absolutely things you do to increase your chances.

Last edited by Count David; 02-20-2017 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: taken as advertising

Old 02-24-2017, 10:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,034,622 times
Very interesting. Are all these extra steps needed because of the crazy market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area