Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Where did you hear about the city of seattle proposing a tax on sugury drinks??
It's in the news. Two cents an ounce proposed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:27 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My next door neighbors came from Arizona, and they claim it balances out with some things higher and some lower. Some of the biggest increases besides housing will be winter heating, sewer and stormwater utility charges, and if you buy, property tax. Their biggest adjustment was all of the big trees (we are on the eastside) which scared them, in fact they had some taken out from fear of them falling on their house. We're glad, because we now get sun in that part of the yard (at least in July and August). If you live in the City of Seattle, there are additional taxes and more coming soon, with a property tax levy proposed tax to help the homeless, and a new sales tax on sugary drinks.
The cost of winter heating balances out w/the cost of A/C in Arizona in the summer.

OP, have you checked the site Glassdoor, to see what your industry and job pay in Seattle? It's a great resource.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
If you have a car, you also need to consider the cost of parking. It'll be $1000-$3000/yr.
No one I know pays anything for parking. What are you talking about? Seattle isn't San Francisco.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcheese11 View Post
I'm surprised at how expensive the food/restaurant prices are. At least WA doesn't have an income tax (yet).
No income tax, no capital gains tax.

I hadn't noticed that the restaurant prices are any higher than they are around the SW. Fine dining, heck--even semi-casual dining, is expensive everywhere.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one I know pays anything for parking. What are you talking about? Seattle isn't San Francisco.
What are you talking about?

I live on the outskirts of Seattle and my charges $100/month for parking. You have to be on a waitlist to have a chance of even getting a spot. Again, this is in a sketchy, outer area of Seattle. I park on the street, but I'm ok with the risk of theft considering that my car is practically worthless.

Garage parking in Lower Queen Anne or Belltown starts at $250/month (or $3k per year). Probably the same in Capitol Hill or Ballard.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:

I live on the outskirts of Seattle and my charges $100/month for parking. You have to be on a waitlist to have a chance of even getting a spot. Again, this is in a sketchy, outer area of Seattle. I park on the street, but I'm ok with the risk of theft considering that my car is practically worthless.

Garage parking in Lower Queen Anne or Belltown starts at $250/month (or $3k per year). Probably the same in Capitol Hill or Ballard.
Yeah I was going to say a lot of my Seattle-based colleagues pay about $200 a month (or more) for ONE spot at their complexes

Old 03-02-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Garage parking isn't free for residents? I don't know anyone living in an apt., so it's not an issue. Nothing wrong with parking on the street, unless maybe you're in some parts of Capital Hill, and maybe certain parts of the U District.

Charging residents to park in their own building sounds like a scam. Do you realize that even in San Francisco, many buildings include free parking? True.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,892 times
Quote:
Garage parking isn't free for residents? I don't know anyone living in an apt., so it's not an issue. Nothing wrong with parking on the street, unless maybe you're in some parts of Capital Hill, and maybe certain parts of the U District.

Charging residents to park in their own building sounds like a scam. Do you realize that even in San Francisco, many buildings include free parking? True.
I've never heard of an apartment here that doesn't charge for parking (in addition to rent). Even when I lived in a decades-old apartment in 2010, parking cost $100/month.

Wow, that's crazy that apartment prices in Seattle are basically on par with San Francisco if you include parking. I had no idea.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,678 times
Quote:

If you aren't driving a total poverty car then street parking anywhere in Seattle on a daily basis will ruin it, or it'll be stolen/broken into in short order.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:

It's pretty variable (speaking for SF at least)... most corporate apts will give you one spot free but when it comes to the private landlords, I've seen it all over the map. The unit will usually come with a spot but the landlord can take it for himself if he's live-in, or still insist on renting it out instead of giving it away free. We used to rent out our parking spot to the public (and for one roommate) in my last 2 places. Now that I have my own car, I refuse to rent anywhere that doesn't come with a free spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area