Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
I could be happier with driving if they'd fix the roads. Ever since Tim Eyman got his way, the city's been punishing us. They took a lot of major streets and changed them from 4 lanes to 2. It would have been a golden opportunity to do some repaving- would have cost more but less than what they'll have to pay later- but they didn't do it.
Yes, the Seattle "road diet". As for potholes, I walk across Alaskan Way daily, and you have to watch your step or can easily trip and fall in some of those holes, or when raining, drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
We lived in AZ for six years and then moved around a bit before coming to Seattle. We are relocating back down to AZ in August. I'd say it's all depending on your goals. If you want to save for a down payment you need quite a bit more salary increase. Hypothetically, a two bedroom, two bath condo will run you about $2300 a month. You can buy a way bigger, brand new place for that in AZ. So again it depends on your priorities.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:21 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
If you have a car, you also need to consider the cost of parking. It'll be $1000-$3000/yr.
If you have to pay park... I don't. A lot of people don't.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:40 AM

43 posts, read 48,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
[b]
The traffic is absolutely AWFUL today.

The weather, due to climate change, is more 'dynamic,'

Drug use and property crime are pretty common here, more than before.

Is this a job thing, or are you retired? Because if your move isn't related to a job opportunity then I can list six other places in the NW you'd be better off living. Most of them are in Oregon. I have HAD it with Seattle. I'm out of here as soon as I can manage it.
I realize that Seattle isn't going to be Shangri-La...no place it. There are good & bad things about every city. I'm personally considering Seattle for the following reasons:
1) Great opportunities & growth in my job market (architecture)
2) More urban lifestyle
3) Access to outdoor opportunities: hiking, snowboarding, mountaineering, etc.

I plan to live close to downtown, so traffic is less of an issue. And yes I realize that means I'll be paying more rent.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
big cheese. It amazes me sometimes how much "square footage" people think they need. I say get a smaller home/apartment and live closer in. Works for Europeans, people in Manhattan, Hong Kong, all over the world. Americans have a warped sense of how big they need their homes to be. Could my family and I afford a 5000 SF home? Sure, but we live happily in 1900 SF. That lets us live closer in, simplify our lives, have less of a commute.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 03-09-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 AM

43 posts, read 48,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
big cheese. It amazes me sometimes how much "square footage" people think they need. I say get a smaller home/apartment and live closer in. Works for Europeans, people in Manhattan, Hong Kong, all over the world. Americans have a warped sense of how big they need their homes to be. Could my family and I afford a 5000 SF home? Sure, but we live happily in 1900 SF. That lets us live closer in, have less of a commute.
I agree. I'm completely fine living in a 600-sf, 1-br apartment.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
We lived in AZ for six years and then moved around a bit before coming to Seattle. We are relocating back down to AZ in August. I'd say it's all depending on your goals. If you want to save for a down payment you need quite a bit more salary increase. Hypothetically, a two bedroom, two bath condo will run you about $2300 a month. You can buy a way bigger, brand new place for that in AZ. So again it depends on your priorities.
Seattle = water
AZ = not

Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 958,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcheese11 View Post
I agree. I'm completely fine living in a 600-sf, 1-br apartment.
They're building "1-bedroom" apartments smaller and smaller. At my apartment complex the 1-bdrm configuration is only 500 square feet and the "bedroom" is basically a close behind a sliding glass door. I've seen some apartment complexes have 1-bedrooms that are 450 sq-ft.

I'm fine with my tiny studio now, but eventually I'll want something big enough that I can invite people over to hang out. That would require me to make a lot more money than I do now.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
They're building "1-bedroom" apartments smaller and smaller. At my apartment complex the 1-bdrm configuration is only 500 square feet and the "bedroom" is basically a close behind a sliding glass door. I've seen some apartment complexes have 1-bedrooms that are 450 sq-ft.

I'm fine with my tiny studio now, but eventually I'll want something big enough that I can invite people over to hang out. That would require me to make a lot more money than I do now.
A 1-br. where the bedroom is created by a sliding door is a studio. Honest LL's rent those out as studios. A 450-sq. ft. apt. is almost a micro. Those are more for students or recent grads, people starting out in life. Sure there's a certain demand for that, but there needs to be more diversity in the market, for "real" adults.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 958,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A 1-br. where the bedroom is created by a sliding door is a studio. Honest LL's rent those out as studios. A 450-sq. ft. apt. is almost a micro. Those are more for students or recent grads, people starting out in life. Sure there's a certain demand for that, but there needs to be more diversity in the market, for "real" adults.
I make around $90k, I put 20% into a retirement account pre-tax, and barely am barely able to afford a newish studio apartment in Seattle if I follow the rule of rent not exceeding 1/3 of take-home pay. I'm not a student or recent grad, I don't consider myself to be "starting out in life," and I do consider myself a "real" adult. It's a reality that the price per squarefoot of an apartment in Seattle is such that if you want a normal-sized, new 1-bedroom apartment, you're going to have to shell out nearly $2000/mo at the least. Even if you make $100k/yr and don't contribute to your retirement account, you can't afford $2000/mo if you follow the widely accepted personal finance guideline of 1/3 or less towards housing. The more hardcore personal finance experts would say that you should be paying 1/4 or less towards housing, even on a 15-yr mortgage. Imagine how much money you'd have to make to follow that rule in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area