Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
SF yes, but you're in for a very rude surprise if you think Seattle is cheaper than LA now (check out my locations).

Also, you're not going to find the job market very open and welcoming in Seattle without an advanced STEM degree/MBA/uber-qualifications (certificates, lots of experience); hate to say it but a theater major will end up with a career at Starbucks as a barista AND a waiter at Red Robin just to afford a dumpy shack in gun shot alley.
Seattle isnt the cheapest place to live in the country. Seattle isnt as expensive as San Francisco. Parts of Seattle are cheaper than LA is. There are parts of Seattle like queen ann,capital hill and ballard that are super expensive to live in. The housing is either cheaper in northgate,university village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 01:13 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Seattle isnt the cheapest place to live in the country. Seattle isnt as expensive as San Francisco. Parts of Seattle are cheaper than LA is. There are parts of Seattle like queen ann,capital hill and ballard that are super expensive to live in. The housing is either cheaper in northgate,university village.
Northgate has among the best prices in Seattle plus easy access downtown at most hours, probably a good option for tbe OP

Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Northgate has among the best prices in Seattle plus easy access downtown at most hours, probably a good option for tbe OP
I live in northgate seattle and love it.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM

458 posts, read 957,685 times
Some free association thoughts here....What I wish I knew before I moved here is different now than when I arrived in 2000 but I would say that traffic is shocking at times. It is much more expensive than any cost of living calculator tells you so build 20% over and above into what you think it will be and you should be fine. Mountain sports, but especially the winter variety are a big deal and so close to the city...I have every weekend skiers in my family. Never knew that before I got here. Amazing ethnic food variety for a place that seemed much less ethnically diverse than the cities I grew up in. Summer is gorgeous (I thought it was rainy and overcast all the time). You can travel to Asia so easily from Seattle which is a huge bonus for me. And if one is so inclined, Canada is so close which now more than ever is comforting! Ferries are magical ⛴...

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
How the weather would affect me. I discovered I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. Pretty significantly.

The cost of living. The house we rented in 2012 was valued at $420K that same house today (not even 5 years later) is valued at $750K.

If it wasn't for the weather and cost of living factor, I could have made it in Seattle.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:31 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Snohomish County is still a viable option for many people.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:26 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
+1 on the traffic/live as close as you can to work idea. Don't try to make the city into what you think it should be. It is different, at times unusual, refreshingly unique. It unfolds in layers, and not always when you want it to. Get outside, exercise, hike, ski, enjoy nature. Seattle is great, I'm still here after 27 years.
Unfolds in layers? Typical Seattle pretension. In truth, the city is a bit bland and homogenous. It's "refreshingly unique" for people like myself who are white, educated, liberal, fairly humorless, uptight, love coffee shops and controlled zaniness like nude bikerides and feel misplaced in other U.S. regions, but it doesn't value diversity in thought or demeanor. I feel comfortable in Seattle because the people are like me and like one another in terms of interests and values. We're all cut out of the same cookie cutter.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Well, it values some diversity-it has to be the politically current kind...

Old 03-08-2017, 03:07 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Well, a lot of Seattle's quirkiness is getting ironed out. Ballard, once affectionately called "Snoose Junction", has become pretty much like any other "whitebread" (homogenous) neighborhood. Townhouses everywhere, and hardly a lefse in sight...

Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM

129 posts, read 224,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Unfolds in layers? Typical Seattle pretension. In truth, the city is a bit bland and homogenous. It's "refreshingly unique" for people like myself who are white, educated, liberal, fairly humorless, uptight, love coffee shops and controlled zaniness like nude bikerides and feel misplaced in other U.S. regions, but it doesn't value diversity in thought or demeanor. I feel comfortable in Seattle because the people are like me and like one another in terms of interests and values. We're all cut out of the same cookie cutter.
Seemed pretty diverse to me. Lots of Indians and Chinese near SLU and Redmond. Lots of Chinese in Bellevue. Good mix of other ethnicities sprinkled around town. Not sure what your standards are, but it really isn't that different in many other parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area