Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 62,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
That is exactly how I feel

I feel "closed off" - like I need to get on a plane to get anywhere! I was used to the "spread your wings" feeling in my old state.

Plus the weather makes me claustrophobic, I feel like I live in a box

No doubt. You can see your physical boundaries. Makes me think twice about ever moving to Hawaii. I've been here for 10 months and I'm trying to decide between california or tennessee. I can't wait to get out!! The other thing is that the culture here is radically different from anywhere else in the country. Its so hard for me to relate to anyone. I've never felt this way ever.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,044,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anytownusa View Post
No doubt. You can see your physical boundaries. Makes me think twice about ever moving to Hawaii. I've been here for 10 months and I'm trying to decide between california or tennessee. I can't wait to get out!! The other thing is that the culture here is radically different from anywhere else in the country. Its so hard for me to relate to anyone. I've never felt this way ever.
That is exactly the way I felt when I lived in TX and GA. It was so different from what I was used to here in Seattle that I never felt connected.

In the end I moved back home and I know that I'll never leave the area again...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 598,106 times
I've been here 3 1/2 years and have loved every minute of it, but parts of me just plain ole miss home (Riverside)... I miss the family that's still there, and all my old drinkin' buddies and their families. We've made great friends up here and got a house and all that, and we do have some family here, but maybe I've just gotten a little homesick.

The weather here doesn't bother me at all (in fact I freakin' LOVE the weather here), and I know I'd hate to be back down there in summer time when it's well over 100 for days/weeks on end. The wife and I have already discussed it somewhat, but she ain't going for it, even though her two adult children are still down there and lots of her family too. Just gonna keep on going and enjoying our time up here and see what happens..

Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,832,347 times
http://www.boeing.com/history/boeing...souticon_n.jpg

I grew up in Phoenix and my career took me to Orange County and the SF Bay Area in California, and briefly, Denver. All great places to live. But the Puget Sound is where I want to be. The only other place I'd consider living in is Portland, OR.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-04-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 PM

35 posts, read 134,976 times
I got out last fall. In NM now. Learning how to love shades of brown and 300 days of sunshine each year. Doesn't take long.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM

474 posts, read 1,453,557 times
Default What a strange thread.

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of having a thread for folks who want to leave the area rather than to settle in it. I get that not everybody digs it here (which is true of everywhere), but what's the point of having a pity party about how bad it is?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM

522 posts, read 2,623,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of having a thread for folks who want to leave the area rather than to settle in it. I get that not everybody digs it here (which is true of everywhere), but what's the point of having a pity party about how bad it is?
Maybe to realize that we are not as alone as we think we are.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
Maybe it would be more productive to share ways we are coping while we figure out how to better our situations?

We moved here a year ago for my husbands job. We realized very quickly that we made a mistake which we are now in the process of trying to fix. We were able to enjoy a much higher quality of life before, and now are unhappy with the sacrifices we've had to make and daily experiences we have to tolerate just to simply survive here.

Meanwhile - we are trying to change negative to positive by seeking out any and all good...

For example... here are some things we are doing currently which is helping us to pass the time in positive ways...

1. We've made a paper chain which is counting down the days until June - the month we plan on moving away.

2. We go for walks even when it's cold and grey and rainy - you're never happier to be home again once you've walked 4 miles in this weather up and down hills, and walking really does help you feel better.

3. We created a wall collage on which we put pictures that have to do with our goal - moving back to our shangri-lai. Some of these pictures are hand-drawn, some are things we've found in magazines, some are photographs of our own. We stick them on the wall with painters/artisits tape. (painters tape doesn't hurt the wall and leaves no holes or damage...)

4. We take trips away from here as often as possible. Even if it's just a day trip to Canada!

5. We drive over to Seattle and act like tourists.

6. I volunteer. A lot. Helping others in need really puts things in perspective. There are many MANY children in schools in low-income areas who really need help. Their parents are working 2 or 3 jobs just to make the rent and many of these kids go home to empty homes. Kindergarten-age children!! Schools depend so much on parent volunteers - but in these low-income areas where parents must work so many jobs there just simply aren't parent volunteers to help out - so again the children go without the attention they need.

ANYONE can volunteer at a public school so long as you fill out a simple form that you can pick up from the front office of the school. They run the background check to make sure you're a safe person (clean record) and then presto - you can help. The kids really need you and it does really help pass the time in a positive way rather than spending your off hours being depressed because you don't like it here...

7. Have more nookie with the one you love. Seriously. My husband and I have decided that since the weather and traffic and everything is so bad, and living here is making us too broke to be able to do much of anything, we might as well have more fun inside!!! Nookie is free, and it makes you happy! It's good exercise, too... Of course it helps that we can't get preggers anymore... we've been "fixed".... so you frisky rabbits keep BC in mind! Getting knocked up might not help your plans for moving away!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:46 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,209,909 times
It's really interesting on these boards, especially families with children how and why they don't like living where they live or the mistake they made moving to a new place. Or how dissatisfied they are. Not only the Seattle area but everywhere across the U.S. Every state I go to on CD its the same thing. No matter if its Sugar Land Texas, Bethesda Maryland, its too expensive, no place to raise our children, crazy people, dirty, too clean, too far, too close, too hot, too cold, no Walmarts etc. Also too touristy?? C'mon now. No area is perfect but I honestly never knew there were so many unhappy people out there. Unhappy is probably not the right word but you know what I mean.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,832,347 times
Very true. Having lived in various places, I sometimes read the CD sections for those areas, and it's much the same there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's really interesting on these boards, especially families with children how and why they don't like living where they live or the mistake they made moving to a new place. Or how dissatisfied they are. Not only the Seattle area but everywhere across the U.S. Every state I go to on CD its the same thing. No matter if its Sugar Land Texas, Bethesda Maryland, its too expensive, no place to raise our children, crazy people, dirty, too clean, too far, too close, too hot, too cold, no Walmarts etc. Also too touristy?? C'mon now. No area is perfect but I honestly never knew there were so many unhappy people out there. Unhappy is probably not the right word but you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area