Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 3,141 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I’m born and raised in San Diego and am thinking about a career in court reporting schools...too bad they are all in unpleasant cities. Green river has the shortest & cheapest program, so I am thinking about doing my time quick and getting out. Will I be miserable there for a short 2 years? I really enjoy the sun and I'm wondering if it really is rainy and cloudy everyday.

Are there any fun activities for young people? Is the area of Auburn where the school is located a good area or should I not be walking around at night?

I appreciate all the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:55 AM

8,162 posts, read 8,235,136 times
East Auburn near Green River isn't so bad, it doesn't rain there every day. When it does, it's normally just drizzle, summers are beautiful and quite sunny. One of the things I love about Auburn is its proximity to Mt Rainier and numerous trail heads within an hour or so. Are you a lover of nature? The trails, meadows and hikes down there will blow your mind.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,244 posts, read 80,480,482 times
Green River College is in a beautiful area, actually, near the Green River and is a safe, but there is very little to do unless you are into horse racing or car/motorcycle racing. It's fairly close to Emerald Downs and Pacific Raceway, but the school itself is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The city of Auburn, especially downtown has plenty of crime but I wouldn't consider it unsafe for you, just for your car and belongings. Yes, it rains a lot, 3-4" more than in Seattle, you can count on some rain most days about mid-September through June.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,141 times
Where would be the closest City to get out and meet ppl next to Green River College? I read about the train that takes you from Seattle to Auburn in 20 mins. Is that a good mode of transportation. I'm going to try to find a part-time job in Seattle and wondering if the commute would be worth it.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM

8,162 posts, read 8,235,136 times
Yes, for sure. Hopping on the Sounder train in Auburn and taking it into Seattle opens up many possibilities. Keep in mind, it is a commuter rail and doesn't run all the time. There are good buses as well. Southcenter Mall area is vibrant and not too far from Auburn.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:14 PM

905 posts, read 1,097,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcam1234 View Post
I’m born and raised in San Diego

Will I be miserable there for a short 2 years? I really enjoy the sun and I'm wondering if it really is rainy and cloudy everyday.
It might not rain every day, but if you're a sun fan, be prepared for significant change. It's grey and cloudy most of the time from October, up until about mid or late April (with some scattered sunny days thrown in). The days are pretty short during the winter too, making for a lack of daylight on top of that.

Not trying to scare you out of moving here, just letting you know what to expect. Some people don't mind it at all (A co-worker who moved up from San Bernardino seems to be handling it ok) - I just have to advise caution if you love/you're used to sunny SD weather.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:16 PM

908 posts, read 956,645 times
i'm sure there are plenty of good court reporting schools in ca, no?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,310,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcam1234 View Post
Where would be the closest City to get out and meet ppl next to Green River College? I read about the train that takes you from Seattle to Auburn in 20 mins. Is that a good mode of transportation. I'm going to try to find a part-time job in Seattle and wondering if the commute would be worth it.
More like 33 minutes, to King Street Station, at the south end of Downtown. Figure on another 10-20 minutes to get to other areas of Downtown, Belltown, Capitol Hill. Longer to Seattle Center.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM

40 posts, read 51,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
It might not rain every day, but if you're a sun fan, be prepared for significant change. It's grey and cloudy most of the time from October, up until about mid or late April (with some scattered sunny days thrown in). The days are pretty short during the winter too, making for a lack of daylight on top of that.

Not trying to scare you out of moving here, just letting you know what to expect. Some people don't mind it at all (A co-worker who moved up from San Bernardino seems to be handling it ok) - I just have to advise caution if you love/you're used to sunny SD weather.
I agree 100%. Most people that live here think it's beautiful and don't mind the rain. I am not in that camp. I can't handle the rain and drizzle and overcast and dark. But the summers are amazing!

But it's only 2 years of your life. If you don't like it, you can always move.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 AM

64 posts, read 63,937 times
We're from san diego (north county). We moved up about 3 years ago. We are itching to move back - mostly for reasons other than the weather.

The summers here are much better than san diego IMO. You obviously don't get the beaches though.

2 years? You'll be fine. Auburn is a 45 minute drive from downtown seattle where the hustle and bustle is. The train works if you don't have a car. I would say you might get really bored if you don't leave auburn OFTEN but other than that i think you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: