Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM

48 posts, read 40,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yep, add West Seattle as well. People love to gush about how wonderful it is, when in reality it's a total garbage dump with roads from the stone age and more used needles laying around on the street than actual residents
Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 05:27 PM

510 posts, read 609,770 times
none of them. Seattle has one of the fastest growing populations in the nation and the fastest growing property values, so people are clearly voting with their dollars and just about every neighborhood is hot.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Depends on who's doing the hyping.

Like a lot of cities (Chicago included) people develop attitudes toward particular neighborhoods based on a variety of factors, not least among which are impressions that got fixed in the past and that might be at odds with current conditions. For example, Ballard gets a lot of promotion on this site - vibrant restaurant culture in particular leading the parade. But some of us regard Ballard with "old" eyes - an insular and very conservative neighborhood limited by its Scandinavian/Lutheran heritage, with a bunch of dive bars along Ballard Avenue occupied by high-line Alaska fishermen or wannabes, and a mediocre fish-and-chips shop across from the Locks with a reputation far better than its reality.

But that's 1970s thinking and not in keeping with Ballard's current highly gentrified reality. Which is preferable, the "old" and gritty Ballard, or the increasingly (to me) soulless Ballard? But those are common problems with every big city. I remember Chicago when walking around Printers' Row at night was pretty creepy; my western-suburbs (La Grange) ex-wife and I once walked at night from Union Station to a friend's place in Old Town and when we got there our host was stunned that we were undamaged.

So "over-hyped" is pretty personal and situational. Right now Ballard, Georgetown, and Fremont are the "hot" neighborhoods. Some years ago it was Wallingford, Capitol Hill (especially the "Pike-Pine Corridor") and Belltown that got all the buzz. Next up (if I were to guess) will be Beacon Hill and South Park in the city, and Burien and Renton in the south end. But that's just a guess.
Mediocre fish and chips is the worse! YES to everything that you wrote; you're very wise.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I think the answer to this question will depend on the person, and what they like/dislike in a neighborhood.

I guess if I have to pick one, I'll say Belltown. Lots of things I actually like about it, and some fun things to do there - it just feels like it could be a bit livelier for being immediately adjacent to the downtown business district of a major city.
That's a fair assessment.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Yep, add West Seattle as well. People love to gush about how wonderful it is, when in reality it's a total garbage dump with roads from the stone age and more used needles laying around on the street than actual residents
The potholes are bad, yes, but I assure you, most of W Seattle doesn't have needles lying around. W Seattle is a 6 mile long peninsula with multiple neighborhoods.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_W View Post
Interesting.
And incorrect.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
And incorrect.
Hardly, I've spent enough time over in the "wonderful and artistic" West Seattle area, it's a dump, plain and simple.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 AM

53 posts, read 83,591 times
Ballard!! Bell Town

Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM

513 posts, read 499,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_W View Post
Funny about Capitol Hill because that was my initial impression, like it's supposedly a hot area, but it's over or else never was.
I've lived on Capitol Hill for 21 years. It's changed (and I've gotten older, which changes my perceptions). My impression is that it went from artsy/gay/bohemian to trustafarians, Amazon and tech workers, foreign rich kids in expensive cars and partying meatheads on the weekends. So it's definitely not as "cool" as it used to be. That said, there is still a lot to recommend about the neighborhood: location, transit, lots of amenities, walkability, legacy arts spaces, shopping. It also costs a small fortune and is littered with druggies/bums. (That part hasn't changed in the 21 years, except to maybe get slightly worse). It's also a lot more crowded now as they have built larger buildings in the last 10-15 years.

Which other neighborhoods are overhyped? South Lake Union, Belltown, Columbia City, imo.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
I've lived on Capitol Hill for 21 years. It's changed (and I've gotten older, which changes my perceptions). My impression is that it went from artsy/gay/bohemian to trustafarians, Amazon and tech workers, foreign rich kids in expensive cars and partying meatheads on the weekends.
Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area