Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM

48 posts, read 40,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The junction is a little more dense than Admiral/North Admiral, but they're really pretty close to each other( just a walk down California Ave). Traditionally, people who lived in the Admiral district tended to have a little more money. It's got some big plusses: the movie theater, the PCC store, the Metropolitan Market, and it has it's share of nice places to eat and drink. it's just a little quieter than the junction. If I were given the choice, I'd pick the Admiral district over the Junction, but I like them both. I just prefer things a little quieter.
This is GREAT -- thanks for the insight! I would prefer Admiral over Junction for the same reasons that you described. Good to know in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Just like everyone else I loved Alki at first sight. However, it didn't take many visits for me to realize I could absolutely not tolerate the traffic, noise, and throngs of people.

Admiral vs Junction is tough, and I don't think you could go wrong either way. I think Junction has a bit more of the urban vibe and energy, but Admiral has nice stores and is closer to Alki. However, after having lived here many, many years, my biggest recommendation is to find a view and as much western light as possible - that can really help a gloomy day seem much brighter, so I'd personally go with the best view/light I could find within walking distance to at least one decent grocery store.
Thanks for the advice! I will take it and apply it to my search. I appreciate it!

Old 04-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Why not take a stroll up California Ave. SW through the N. Admiral neighborhood using Google maps' "street view" option? Start at Hiawatha Playground and head north - https://goo.gl/maps/eenMPPhABpm

You'll see the Admiral Theater, various shops and supermarkets, and get a feel of the area. Go down some side streets while you're at it. Go all the way up to the Hamilton Park viewpoint - https://goo.gl/maps/5yqKVC7ynst .

Admiral is a great neighborhood, increasingly oriented to the same sorts of households that are heading to Columbia City, Ravenna/Maple Leaf etc. in terms of socioeconomic characteristics. There are good transport links to downtown - a bit quicker than the more limited options from Alki - and things like grocery stores are more convenient.

One thing about Alki (which I love, BTW) is that traffic, especially on weekends in the summer, can be atrocious. If you're looking to locate there, having secure, private parking - and guest parking if possible, will be imperative.
Ohhhhhhh! This is fun!!! And so helpful, all of it -- thank you!

Old 04-24-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
A downside for Alki: no grocery stores. You could take the Water Taxi to go shopping at the Market or Uwajimaya's.

While North Admiral has PCC, the Junction has Trader Joe's.
Grocery stores are a big deal; you are right. I always drive to them anyways and am already used to a bit of a distance. But thanks for telling me where they are - a huge help for when I arrive. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
The Admiral Dist has a Safeway and a Metropolitan Market. PCC was mentioned- yes, it's great but it will close the end of May for 18 months. There's going to be some kind of huge apartment complex there and the PCC will be in it.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
The Admiral Dist has a Safeway and a Metropolitan Market. PCC was mentioned- yes, it's great but it will close the end of May for 18 months. There's going to be some kind of huge apartment complex there and the PCC will be in it.
Thanks for this important clarification!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Good point about the PCC project, waze. That's a little sad as that store had a neat old school, rootsy coop feel. I have stopped in there often over the years. West Seattle also has a great Trader Joe's near the Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: