Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

483 posts, read 842,195 times

Advertisements

I know by most standards this would be a fairly reasonable commute, but what should I generally expect to go from around NW 65th St and 15th Ave NW to around Westlake and Denny (by car and/or public transportation)?

It would be during fairly typical rush hour. Probably departing between 7:30-8am in the morning and coming home between 5-6pm.

Google Maps shows a pretty variable time and upwards of 40 minutes. Does that sound about right? Are the bridges the choke point or is the whole thing just very slow?

Is biking a decent option for this route? Would the weather rule that out for much of the year?

Thanks! Any insight is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:19 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
You can bike year round here ... the mild climate allows it. With Burke-Gilman this is very doable. Otherwise are thinking of driving? As many mention, getting out of a parking garage at SLU can take inordinate amounts of time. Otherwise, a bus ride of 25-35 minutes probably.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure what you mean about the parking garage issue. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
There is no direct bus from NW 65th St & 15th Ave W to Denny & Westlake. You can:

1) Take the D-Line RapidRide from 65th & 15th to

2a) 15th & Leary Way and transfer to the #40, to SLU, or

2b) Mercer & Queen Anne and transfer to the #8, to SLU, or

2c) 3rd & Bell and walk on Bell to Denny, then Denny to Westlake, or

2d) 3rd & Pike and walk to 5th & Stewart, then catch the SLU Streetcar to SLU.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean about the parking garage issue. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything.
The traffic in SLU all has to funnel onto a few very congested streets. One of those being Mercer (Google 'Mercer Mess'). Thus all the side streets back up as well. People trying to get out of parking garages can't. There are often people directing traffic at garage doors at key commute times, or it would be almost impossible to get out of a garage and into the nearly standstill traffic. As it is, it's still slow going because traffic can only accommodate so many cars trying to leave all those garages at a time. So you can just sit and sit and sit there trying to get into traffic so you can sit and sit and sit in traffic.

You couldn't pay me enough to drive to a job in SLU, and I wouldn't wish that traffic on anyone. Feel free to find out for yourself, but also consider making sure you live near transit. I see many biking, but personally wouldn't feel safe doing so in the winter. Too dark, too rainy, too many drivers not paying attention.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
I live near there and drive my daughter to school on Capitol Hill each day. try to leave by 7:20 AM if you are driving. It's fairly bikeable, I see people do it all the time, mostly downhill on way to work.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:01 AM

Very helpful info. I guess I'm ruling out ever trying to drive to work in that area!

Are buses impacted by the area's gridlock? Or do their routes generally avoid the mess(es)?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Yup, unless they take advantage of carpool lanes (which are not available on your proposed commute), buses have the same traffic challenges.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Well that's a bummer. It looks like a walking distance commute from Capitol Hill might be the best bet.

Also, a different commute question, does Seattle have a proper reverse commute or is it jammed in every direction? To be more specific, would a commute from, say, Capitol Hill to a northern neighborhood be fairly nice?

I used to live in Chicago which was a nightmare in every possible direction. But I also lived in SF and commuted north over the Golden Gate Bridge, which was quite nice as a reverse commute (but reverse commuting to the Peninsula/South Bay would be hell). I'm not sure where Seattle, or at least the northern half of the city, lands in this regard.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Very helpful info. I guess I'm ruling out ever trying to drive to work in that area!

Are buses impacted by the area's gridlock? Or do their routes generally avoid the mess(es)?
In general, commuting by SOV to Downtown or adjacent areas is not advised.

The D-Line RapidRide has bus-only lanes on 15th Ave W and Elliott Ave W., which speeds things up considerably. It runs every 6 to 8 minutes. Bottlenecks can happen at the Ballard Bridge and through Lower Queen Anne.

The D-Line and C-Line used to be linked, which caused reliability issues in the afternoon/peak trips - they now deadhead in Pioneer Square and SLU, respectively.

An alternative would be to walk to 8th Avenue NW and catch the #28 Express to Denny Way & Aurora, then walk east along Denny to Westlake (about 1,000 ft).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area